Apple hikes repair, replacement & AppleCare+ prices for iPhones

Posted:
in iPhone
Alongside announcing the iPhone 8 and X, Apple has also raised the cost of some AppleCare+ warranties, as well as out-of-pocket repair and replacement costs for every recent iPhone model.

The cost of an AppleCare+ warranty has jumped from $129 to $149 for the iPhone 6s Plus, 7 Plus, and 8 Plus. For the iPhone X a plan will cost a record $199, likely because of the potential expense of replacing its 5.8-inch OLED panel.

Out-of-pocket, non-warrantied screen repairs for the iPhone 6 and SE are now $129, up from $99, while the cost for the iPhone 6s and 7 is up $20 to $149. All Plus-series phones are $20 more expensive at $169.

Repairs of "other damage" have been made more expensive for the iPhone 7 and 7 Plus, at $319 and $349, respectively. The iPhone 8 and 8 Plus will meanwhile cost $349 and $399 to fix.

Apple hasn't said what non-warrantied repairs will cost for the iPhone X, but prices are liable to be substantially higher.

The latest generation of iPhones have become more costly in general. The iPhone 8, shipping Sept. 22, is at least $699, while the iPhone X -- arriving Nov. 3 -- will start at $999.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    After years of buying AppleCare(+) warranties on iMacs, MBPs, and iPhones and never having benefited, I've decided to no longer purchase them. I'm careful with my electronic devices and Apple products seem reliable enough on their own to not need an extended warranty. The only time I ever had an out-of-warranty repair performed was on a 2011 iMac, but that ended up being after the AppleCare warranty had expired and a "special program" covered the proactive hard drive replacement.
    racoleman29cornchipsirozhamazda 3s
  • Reply 2 of 15
    Ouch!!
    mwhite
  • Reply 3 of 15
    zroger73 said:
    After years of buying AppleCare(+) warranties on iMacs, MBPs, and iPhones and never having benefited, I've decided to no longer purchase them. I'm careful with my electronic devices and Apple products seem reliable enough on their own to not need an extended warranty. The only time I ever had an out-of-warranty repair performed was on a 2011 iMac, but that ended up being after the AppleCare warranty had expired and a "special program" covered the proactive hard drive replacement.
    Exactly.
  • Reply 4 of 15
    Ouch!!
    iPhones and iPads are more expensive anymore due to better materials, so I if that's partly the reason, I get it. I'm with Zroger and Racoleman, tho...I am as careful as can be with my precious iThings. 
    zroger73
  • Reply 5 of 15
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,642member
    Technically, after years of no price increases, these are inflationary increases.   The same technically goes for the iPhone 8 prices.
    zroger73
  • Reply 6 of 15
    Or, like all of you dropping the "+ AppleCare" adder at checkout, it's being noticed in Apple sales revenue. What happens when insurers stop buying insurance?  Prices for the rest rise. Supply, demand, and profit margins 101. No company exists without a mission to make money. (Non-Profits aside.)
  • Reply 7 of 15
    Damn, should have got my iPhone 7 cracked screen repaired yesterday. 
  • Reply 8 of 15
    I procured Apple Care for my iMac G5 in 2004. It worked fine for two years, then went through a horrid run of covered repairs, including hard drive, logic board, and some other sundries I dare not try to recall. I think it was repaired 6-8 times. After repeated, long phone calls, they sent me a late 2006 iMac. (Still in use as media server with 2TB hard drive.) That was only extended warranty I've ever bought. Used iPhone 5S for years with no case. I will probably pony up if I upgrade to a precious iPhone 8 though.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    zroger73 said:
    Insurance is for catastrophes. Your health, home, car accidents. Buying insurance for consumer products is a waste of money. You aren't going to be wiped out if your phone or printer breakdown.  Its like what Jerry told Kramer "fruit, its a gamble"
    baconstangzroger73
  • Reply 10 of 15
    Damn, should have got my iPhone 7 cracked screen repaired yesterday. 
    Same here. 
    doozydozen
  • Reply 11 of 15
    I suspect Apple is bumping prices up on a variety of things, because the iPhone X isn't really as high as they actually want to price it. That and they lowered the iPhone SE so they put the luxury tax into Apple care and iPad Pro. 
    edited September 2017
  • Reply 12 of 15
    Lucky I was able to get my cracked screen fixed last week. Also nice that they gave me a full phone replacement and not charge me the $319 they said it might cost if there was any more damage other than the screen (like water damage, they said). I think it was the nick in the metal case near where the glass meets it that made them not want to trust replacing the screen. Whatever it was, thank your Apple!
  • Reply 13 of 15
    I'm going to need counselling. Being pushed away by a loved one is painful, and it appears that Apple is trying to make me go away. It feels like Apple has found a new buyer that it likes better than me. I'm neither poor nor frugal, but I'm starting to wonder how much longer I can afford to live in Apple's world. I don't WANT to leave, but between the hit I took on the MacBook Pro last fall, the big jump in the price of ATVs last year, the rising prices of phones, AppleCare, and the repairs themselves (if needed), it's piling up.

I just want to know what I did to make Apple stop caring about me so I don't do it to anyone else.

I laughed when a local news anchor, after a story about Apple's new product announcements, turned to a colleague and quipped, "I though the price of technology products was supposed to get LOWER over time?"
  • Reply 14 of 15
    zroger73 said:
    After years of buying AppleCare(+) warranties on iMacs, MBPs, and iPhones and never having benefited, I've decided to no longer purchase them. I'm careful 
    The thieves have new techniques for acquiring your devices as you pass through crowds (similar to how staged accidents work). Those people you thought were doing their thing on their laptops next to you --some of them are in on it too. Apple's activation-locks and iCloud Lost/Erase modes don't work, though if you have a passcode on your device, your data may be safe ...for a while.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    zroger73 said:
    After years of buying AppleCare(+) warranties on iMacs, MBPs, and iPhones and never having benefited, I've decided to no longer purchase them. I'm careful 
    The thieves have new techniques for acquiring your devices as you pass through crowds (similar to how staged accidents work). Those people you thought were doing their thing on their laptops next to you --some of them are in on it too. Apple's activation-locks and iCloud Lost/Erase modes don't work, though if you have a passcode on your device, your data may be safe ...for a while.
    When I said, "I'm careful...", I was referring to being careful with the physical handling of my electronics - I wasn't talking about keeping them secure. I couldn't care less who sees what is on my phone - just lots of stupid videos and photos that are absolutely worthless and meaningless to anyone but me. 
    barthrh