Face ID on Apple's iPhone X will be limited to one person per device

Posted:
in iPhone
The Face ID system on Apple's iPhone X will only recognize one face per device, short-circuiting a strategy some people used with Touch ID, according to Apple.

The limitation was confirmed by iMore's Rene Ritchie, as well as by TechCrunch. The measure will force iPhone X owners sharing with family to either unlock the device themselves, or make sure relatives have their passcode.

Touch ID lets people add multiple fingerprints through the iOS Settings app. Ostensibly for this is for one person using multiple digits, but in practice, it's possible to reserve a few for loved ones -- ensuring for example that a phone's data isn't inaccessible in an emergency.

iOS doesn't normally support multiple accounts, and the Face ID setup process scans users at a variety of angles, in theory elimnating any need to save several faces. The technology should even adapt as a person ages, changes hairstyles, or adds accessories like hats and glasses.

Face ID has already proven controversial for other reasons, such as concerns about security and privacy. U.S. Senator Al Franken has submitted a letter to Apple CEO Tim Cook, asking him to provide details on how the company intends to protect customer data, prevent spoofing, and support a diverse range of people.

It's uncertain how a single-user limit will affect other aspects of the iPhone X, such as its ability to stay unlocked when it senses a person looking at it. If that's cued to a single individual, a device might suddenly shut off when it's being shared with a friend.

The iPhone X with the Super Retina Display and FaceID ships on Nov. 3.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 68
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member
    Well that's absolutely counter to what Gurman said, tho based on what you've discovered and considering that it is from Apple themselves he was plainly mistaken. With that said I'm really extremely surprised it is locked to one specific face.  
    edited September 2017
  • Reply 2 of 68
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Can't you share passcode(like adding extra fingerID) with family members if you want to share iPhone X ?
  • Reply 3 of 68
    Edit: Ignore this part - I see this is supposed to work, we'll try it again (but only get to for a short time) - I tried adding my fingerprint to my wife's phone once, her finger print stopped working, we haven't tried it since then.  The answer to allowing a family member to unlock your phone is the same as it's always been, let them know your pass code.

And so much of this article is just ridiculous, like this:

Face ID has already proven controversial for other reasons, such as concerns about security and privacy. 

Only by people who don't understand how it works.

and this:

a device might suddenly shut off when it's being shared with a friend

Give Apple some credit here.
    edited September 2017 StrangeDayslollivernetmage
  • Reply 4 of 68
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member

a device might suddenly shut off when it's being shared with a friend.

You mean ... by the power ... of ... the FORCE!

Here's the thing: with the device ogling its user, it will know not to 'suddenly shut off' because it knows you're looking at it.
  • Reply 5 of 68
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    wood1208 said:
    Can't you share passcode(like adding extra fingerID) with family members if you want to share iPhone X ?
    Yup
    lolliver
  • Reply 7 of 68
    wood1208 said:
    If you are going to share your passcode among your family (other than your spouse) just don’t use a passcode, you have already defeated the security.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 68

alandail said:
    I tried adding my fingerprint to my wife's phone once, her finger print stopped working, we haven't tried it since then.  The answer to allowing a family member to unlock your phone is the same as it's always been, let them know your pass code.

And so much of this article is just ridiculous, like this:

Face ID has already proven controversial for other reasons, such as concerns about security and privacy. 

Only by people who don't understand how it works.

and this:

a device might suddenly shut off when it's being shared with a friend

Give Apple some credit here.
    Yeah I dunno what’s up with Roger’s comtiunued suggestions of security and privacy concerns. FUD: it’s what’s for dinner. 
    bb-15
  • Reply 9 of 68
    Rayz2016 said:
    wood1208 said:
    Yup
    Apple of course says:
    • Don’t share your Apple ID with other people, even family members. ;)

• Reply 10 of 68
    Alandail, I have my wife’s print in my iPhone and my print in hers, it has not caused any problems, so you might want to revisit it.
    dchenderarlomediasandorbb-15lolliverjony0
  • Reply 11 of 68
    I think this makes sense, but I would like another  way to let loved ones use the phone securely 
    edited September 2017
  • Reply 12 of 68
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,921member
    Too bad. Wonder why they did this - was it a technical limitation of the hardware or simply a design decision. It's very convenient for my wife and I to have our fingerprints on each others' phones.

As to the privacy concerns, they were raised before with Touch ID. I don't see how this is any different. If anything, it's less of a concern, since your face is readily visible in public at all times whereas your fingerprints are somewhat more 'concealed.' Either way, from their description, the security seems to be similar if not the same for both systems, so I'm not too concerned. Besides, you don't have to use either system if you're really worried.
    edited September 2017
  • Reply 13 of 68
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    And the kicker here is that when Samsung introduced Retina Scan, which can easily be defeated apparently, nobody said a word. There was no controversy, there were no letters from Al Franken. But Apple does it and it's 'proven controversial' for many reasons. All manner of horrible scenarios are proposed. I just don't get it.
    StrangeDayslostkiwimacseekerbb-15GG1lollivernetmagewatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 68
    MplsP said:
    Too bad. Wonder why they did this - was it a technical limitation of the hardware or simply a design decision. It's very convenient for my wife and I to have our fingerprints on each others' phones.
    I'm guessing it's due to the device relearning your face at it scans. 
    StrangeDayslolliver
  • Reply 15 of 68
    "Limitation" is in the eye of the beholder. I, for one, am happy to have one less avenue for people to pry through my personal business.
    edited September 2017 watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 68
    lkrupp said:
    And the kicker here is that when Samsung introduced Retina Scan, which can easily be defeated apparently, nobody said a word. There was no controversy, there were no letters from Al Franken. But Apple does it and it's 'proven controversial' for many reasons. All manner of horrible scenarios are proposed. I just don't get it.
    This will be repeated again when Samsung removes the headphone jack and adds a notch their screen...nobody will say a word.
    edited September 2017 StrangeDayslostkiwibb-15lolliverwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 17 of 68
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,664member
    LukeCage said:
    I think this makes sense, but I would like another  way to let loved ones use the phone securely 
    I think guest mode would be a easy solution that allows the user to determine which elements are accessible to guests.
  • Reply 18 of 68
    dcgoodcgoo Posts: 280member
    MplsP said:

The use case is just different:   "Honey, can I borrow your phone?  "Sure."  "Thanks, look over here."   Now it supports remote handsfree (no touching required) authentication, within a foot or few anyway.  I can see this being fairly useful in various circumstances.
    2old4fun
  • Reply 19 of 68
    dcgoo said:
    MplsP said:

The use case is just different:   "Honey, can I borrow your phone?  "Sure."  "Thanks, look over here."   Now it supports remote handsfree (no touching required) authentication, within a foot or few anyway.  I can see this being fairly useful in various circumstances.
    "Honey will you answer my phone" might not be quite as convenient. 

EDIT: On on more thoughtful reflection (?? LOL)  it doesn't matter. Slide-to-unlock. Doh!
    edited September 2017
  • Reply 20 of 68
    lkrupp said:
    there were no letters from Al Franken. 
    This isn't really true. Franken has issued questions on basically every consumer-focused biometric feature that has been issued in recent memory, regardless of company, including Samsung, Facebook, and Amazon. In fact, when the Galaxy S5 got a fingerprint scanner and facial recognition capabilities in 2014, Franken issued a statement praising Apple's Touch ID and wondering if Samsung would offer the same assurances. See:

https://www.franken.senate.gov/?p=press_release&id=2815

Needless fearmongering aside, no one should take any company (even Apple) at their word, especially not a U.S. senator. I would not be surprised if, after Apple responds to Franken, the senator is then praising Apple for its industry leading focus on privacy and security.
    gatorguySoli