Watch: All the details about the iPhone X that you may have missed

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 2017
AppleInsider tells you everything you need to know about the iPhone X, in less than seven minutes.

For reviews, news, tips, features and more, subscribe to AppleInsider on YouTube.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    Do all US versions support both GSM and CDMA?  Or is it like the 7 where you have to buy a Sprint or Verizon (CDMA) phone to support both GSM and CDMA?
    Anilu_777
  • Reply 2 of 17
    harrykatsarosharrykatsaros Posts: 76unconfirmed, member
    f1turbo said:
    Do all US versions support both GSM and CDMA?  Or is it like the 7 where you have to buy a Sprint or Verizon (CDMA) phone to support both GSM and CDMA?
    Same as the 7
  • Reply 3 of 17
    harrykatsarosharrykatsaros Posts: 76unconfirmed, member

Things not mentioned:

- Beyond Gorilla Glass 5. Apple got first access to the next generation of Gorilla glass as a result of their $200 million investment in Corning. Apple claims the glass is reinforced with metal.

- First ever support for QZSS and Galileo satellite positioning in a consumer device that's I'm aware of. Provides for military grade GPS tracking. 

- new generation haptic Engine 

- Advanced AR technology built in with both rear cameras individually calibrated for AR. The front facing camera amd sensors have also been designed specifically for AR applications.

- 3D tracking using the front facing TrueDepth camera and sensors for a range of new applications. 

- Should have put more emphasis on the Hardware Noise Reduction feature. Biggest breakthrough in mobile camera tech in years

- should have emphasised the 2436x1125 resolution -  the best resolution in the business. I know Samsung claims the Note has a resolution of 2960x1440 but that's not exactly the case. Samsung by default turns down the resolution to 2220x1080 (which means the iPhone has a better resolution in real life use).

- Should have put more emphasis on the Dolby Vision and HDR10 certified screen (which means true color reproduction and better visual richness and detail than both Galaxy and Note even with technically less PPI)

- True tone display (adapts display to ambient lighting conditions to retain color reproduction accuracy)

- Real time motion and scene analysis for optimal video recording

- This was shown but not discussed. Visual battery status indicator for all connected devices via iPhone screen on the Airpower accessory. This is also the first time anyone has figured out multi device charging on a single Qi charging mat. 

edited September 2017 radarthekatjax44jcs2305Anilu_777Solipatchythepirateiqatedosphericbluefire1mizhou
  • Reply 4 of 17
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator

Things not mentioned:

- Beyond Gorilla Glass 5. Apple got first access to the next generation of Gorilla glass as a result of their $200 million investment in Corning. Apple claims the glass is reinforced with metal.

- First ever support for QZSS and Galileo satellite positioning in a consumer device that's I'm aware of. Provides for military grade GPS tracking. 

- Advanced AR technology built in with both rear cameras individually calibrated for AR. The front facing camera amd sensors have also been designed specifically for AR applications.

- 3D tracking using the front facing TrueDepth camera and sensors for a range of new applications. 

- Should have put more emphasis on the Hardware Noise Reduction feature. Biggest breakthrough in mobile camera tech in years

- should have emphasised the 2436x1125 resolution -  the best resolution in the business. I know Samsung claims the Note has a resolution of 2960x1440 but that's not exactly the case. Samsung by default turns down the resolution to 2220x1080 (which means the iPhone has a better resolution in real life use).

- Should have put more emphasis on the Dolby Vision and HDR10 certified screen (which means true color reproduction and better visual richness and detail than both Galaxy and Note even with technically less PPI)

- True tone display (adapts display to ambient lighting conditions to retain color reproduction accuracy)

- This was shown but not discussed. Visual battery status indicator for all connected devices via iPhone screen on the Airpower accessory. This is also the first time anyone has figured out multi device charging on a single Qi charging mat. 

I've gotta say, that's probably the best third comment a person has ever posted.  Welcome to AppleInsider.  
    lolliverAnilu_777drdavidiqatedocalimizhoutmaywilliamlondonargonautwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 17

Things not mentioned:

You mention several good points - but regarding the screen - I'll suspend judgement until I can try a unit in person BUT I do have to think back a few years ago when Phil Schiller (correctly, IMO) derided Samsung for putting out a very high resolution/dpi display saying that the higher resolution was marketed as a positive for the user but in going well beyond 300 ppi they provided the user with indistinguishable "improved" images yet put a real extra burden on the graphics subsystem.  I have to wonder why this evidently will be different for the iPhone X.  Our defacto answer would be, because Apple does stuff the right way - but in this case I'd like a bit more detail and explaination.
  • Reply 6 of 17

Things not mentioned:

This is huge to me. I've noticed that when my 6S plus loses signal while using any Maps app, it never regains it. I hope this means that location accuracy and signal retention are greatly improved. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 17

Things not mentioned:

You mention several good points - but regarding the screen - I'll suspend judgement until I can try a unit in person BUT I do have to think back a few years ago when Phil Schiller (correctly, IMO) derided Samsung for putting out a very high resolution/dpi display saying that the higher resolution was marketed as a positive for the user but in going well beyond 300 ppi they provided the user with indistinguishable "improved" images yet put a real extra burden on the graphics subsystem.  I have to wonder why this evidently will be different for the iPhone X.  Our defacto answer would be, because Apple does stuff the right way - but in this case I'd like a bit more detail and explaination.
    I suspect it's because back then Metal2 didn't exist. Also Samsung (nor Apple for that matter) didn't have custom designed GPUs that could handle the needed power to display the graphics properly. Nor did they have a 64bit super computer processor. Technology has moved very quickly from when Phil made that quote and so his comments don't stack up now. :-)
    patchythepiratewatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 8 of 17
    The video says the graphics have been upgraded with an M11 processor which is faster than the M10. The M co-processor isn’t anything to do with the graphics, right?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 17
    darkpaw said:
    The video says the graphics have been upgraded with an M11 processor which is faster than the M10. The M co-processor isn’t anything to do with the graphics, right?

You're absolutely right. The M11 is the Motion coprocessor, which handles data from all the motion sensors (accelerometer, pedometer, gyro etc).
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 17
    darkpaw said:
    If you're doing AR, having fast access to the motion sensors would help produce smooth natural graphics with the GPU. So they aren't connected but they would work together.
    tmaymizhouwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 11 of 17
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member

Things not mentioned:

I’m not defending Apple here. Hell, look at so-called wireless charging that Schiller suddenly is changing his tune on now that Apple are getting in the game. But given how fast Apple’s chips are I’m sure Sam can’t hold a candle to how Apple will handle.
  • Reply 12 of 17
    Does the iPhone X have W2 Chip?

Things not mentioned:

Unless it supports Rec.2100 12-bit Colour Gamut suitable for OLED screens, it really doesn't actually support Dolby Vision therefore HDR10+ as well. Likewise, ProMotion, are among other things this iteration clearly doesn't have. It's no different than a Samsung Galaxy.

The iPhone doesn't support Dolby Atmos, or have Hi-Fi DAC, 5-Axis OIS etc. It's preserving for the next iPhone:
    http://www.patentlyapple.com/patently-apple/2015/09/apple-invents-an-advanced-telephoto-camera-lens-system-for-future-idevices.html
    http://iphone.appleinsider.com/articles/15/02/12/apple-concept-could-improve-iphone-camera-quality-with-use-of-mirrors
    https://www.theverge.com/platform/amp/circuitbreaker/2017/3/1/14755916/oppo-5x-zoom-camera-prototype-hands-on-mwc-2017
    (Clearly a copy of the patent. Chinese Android OEMs after all)
    http://www.patentlyapple.com/patently-apple/2015/02/apple-reveals-a-zoom-lens-breakthrough-for-future-idevices.html

It doesn't use Gorilla Glass but a plausible self-made solution:
    http://www.patentlyapple.com/patently-apple/2017/09/apples-liquid-metal-backside-flexible-wraparound-oled-display-for-reducing-the-bezel-are-patents-fulfilled.html

There's nothing to excitedly celebrate with new Haptic engine. It's just a foundation stone for the next decade. The real advancements are yet to come.
    edited September 2017
  • Reply 13 of 17
    f1turbo said:
    Same as the 7
    Thanks!  Where did you find that information?  
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 17
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Do we know whether this comes with AirPods, or Lightning EarPods?
  • Reply 15 of 17
    mac_128 said:
    Do we know whether this comes with AirPods, or Lightning EarPods?
    Lightning EarPods:  https://www.apple.com/shop/buy-iphone/iphone-x

• Reply 16 of 17
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    Can you get to the lock screen by simply touching anywhere the screen? Currently when I have my iPhone on the night stand, I use the Home button just to check the time. I need the large numerals since I don't wear my glasses when I sleep. I haven't seen a demo of this. I'm hoping it has similar functionality to iOS 10 because in the night stand scenario I don't want to be presented with a passcode prompt instead of the traditional lock screen. Same situation when I want to check the time from the iPhone in my pocket. I don't want to unlock the phone, just check the time. Again it would be nice to have the large numerals so I wouldn't have to concentrate to read the minuscule time display on the home screen.
  • Reply 17 of 17

Things not mentioned:

A11 is the answer.