Apple launches tvOS 11 for Apple TV, adding live news & sports in TV app [u]

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited September 2017
As promised Apple on Tuesday released the finished version of tvOS 11, build 15J381, an update for fourth-generation Apple TVs that brings mostly evolutionary improvements, the most significant being groundwork for live news and sports features in the TV app. [Updated with Apple correction]

With an update coming later this year, if a favorite team is playing a game covered by ESPN, that event will appear at the front of the TV app's "Up Next" section. Users will also get notifications about imminent or close games, and optionally see scores and remaining time on thumbnails. A dedicated Sports tab will show every live and upcoming game.

More immediate upgrades include automatic switching between light and dark modes based on the time of day, and homescreen sync in homes with more than one Apple TV. The software will also support AirPlay 2, though that standard primarily enables HomeKit and multi-speaker audio control for iPhones and iPads.

tvOS 11 will be default on the Apple TV 4K, shipping later this week, and accordingly enable 4K resolutions in video and on the homescreen, as well as HDR (high dynamic range) on compatible TV sets.

If the update isn't set to download automatically, people can get tvOS 11 by going into the Apple TV Settings app, then selecting System, Software Updates, and finally Update Software.

Apple is today also releasing iOS 11 for iPhones and iPads, and watchOS 4 for the Apple Watch.

Update: An Apple spokesperson notes that live sports and news won't be coming to the TV app until later this year. The article has been updated to reflect this.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    I'm sorry, the TV app doesn't NOT show what I watch the most, my movies in MY iTunes library, so so wishing Steve was still with us. #AppleFAIL iTunes 12.7's readme says it will install on Yosemite, yet it does not and breaks my iTune video library. I'm sorry, but this upgrade is a huge huge disappointment. 
    edited September 2017 mike54
  • Reply 2 of 8
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    That was weird.  This 'breaking news' article has a video talking about the up coming Apple TV in September and leaked news it will support 4K.  Have I just entered a time warp?
  • Reply 3 of 8
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    This is the most dull "update" ever. I guess the real feature is to run 4k. 
    mike54
  • Reply 4 of 8
    cali said:
    This is the most dull "update" ever.
    In what other do people find excitement with set-top box software updates? Seriously, this platform is about as utilitarian as you can get...it's a testament to Apple that people even hope to be excited by a set-top box update.
    lollivermike54
  • Reply 5 of 8
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    cali said:
    In what other do people find excitement with set-top box software updates? Seriously, this platform is about as utilitarian as you can get...it's a testament to Apple that people even hope to be excited by a set-top box update.
    I don't compare Apple to the other crap that's out there. So yes my expectations are high and I refuse to make excuses for Apple.

if iOS 11 was this bad you wouldn't make excuses. Why here?
  • Reply 6 of 8
    cali said:
    cali said:
    I don't compare Apple to the other crap that's out there. So yes my expectations are high and I refuse to make excuses for Apple.

if iOS 11 was this bad you wouldn't make excuses. Why here?
    1) I don't think tvOS is "bad" at all. 2) As a set-top streamer box the use cases and functionality as much more constrained than a personal computing device. This is a box that has a defined job to be done. It's utilitarian. It is not going to introduce flying holographic cheeseburgers or whatever it is you were hoping for.

Excuses? Please. I'm just a reasonable software engineer who is aware of how much people are increasing their dependency on Apple to entertain them via change (and paradoxically, panic and complain when Apple does exactly that; see Face ID).
  • Reply 7 of 8

mike54 said:
    What’s the point of having powerful CPUs and not take advantage it. Apple TV could be so much more. How about FaceTime on there, plug in a webcam, the whole family can chat, use picture-in-picture. Apple could even sell its iSight camera for it, even can be used for FaceID, or with games. How about Safari on the big screen, or maybe the ability to check your emails (handy for single users). How about bundle in a controller at discount to encourage gaming. So many things. Where is Apple vision? They have the tech to be the centre of the living room, but Apple cannot see it. It’s beyond me, it doesn’t make any sense. 
    Face cameras and web browsers have been explored and debunked. It's no better and in some ways worse than using an iPad.

Complaining is easy. Pie in the sky spitballing is easy. Implementation of truly value-adding functionality is hard. Anything you can think of, they've already thought of and tried.