Microsoft XP Media Center Edition

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Has any seen XP media center edition? I went to Circuit City this past weekend and saw a demo. It demo'd very well and I found myself really liking it. Once I got a chance to play with it, I liked it even more. The one I saw was an HP Media Center computer.

If you haven't seen it, here is the URL.

<a href="http://www.microsoft.com/WindowsXP/mediacenter/"; target="_blank">http://www.microsoft.com/WindowsXP/mediacenter/</a>;

It gives you tv-like control over your videos, tv, PVR, pictures and music stored on the computer. Instead of having to shuffle everyone off to your computer, you can just flick a button on the remote control and displays on the tv. It does this by connecting your monitor or TV to the computer via monitor port or firewire. It comes with a HP/XP remote control. It has normal TV/VCR/DVD controls coupled with XP specific functions.

Needless to say, this translates to a pretty decent "digital hub" strategy. Although the computer is the workhorse of the two, it is nice to see some pretty cool products. I think something like this would be a practical and an excellent focus for Apple.

Take a look and see if you think.

[ 11-13-2002: Message edited by: Fran441 ]

[ 11-13-2002: Message edited by: Fran441 ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    I believe Apple has something similar in the works that will be even better.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    [quote]Originally posted by DHagan4755:

<strong>I believe Apple has something similar in the works that will be even better.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Lol - I have a Mac that can do just that. Comes with its own remote control, for switching between TV, CD player and Mac. (Incidentally, the remote also works with any Sony TV)

It's a Performa 6200. Built many years ago now. (1995?)

Funny that MS only just comes up with it.

Amorya
  • Reply 3 of 7
    yeah, it's great...until you realize that the box is loaded with DRM software that makes it impossible to take recorded tv programs and move them off the computer. yeah, it's integrated...but it's hobbled, and who wants that?
  • Reply 4 of 7
    its to bad that apple didnt continue with that. I know you can buy extras to basically do the same thing, and an ATI all in wonder is also basically the same thing, but there arent any AIWs for mac yet. I think micro beat apple to the punch on this one. Just hoping that when apple responds, its with a superior product.

Seems to me like you have to buy a whole new OS just to get this extra little functionality.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    jrcjrc Posts: 817member
    [quote]Originally posted by geobe:

<strong>Has any seen XP media center edition? I went to Circuit City this past weekend and saw a demo. It demo'd very well and I found myself really liking it. Once I got a chance to play with it, I liked it even more. The one I saw was an HP Media Center computer.

If you haven't seen it, here is the URL.

<a href="http://www.microsoft.com/WindowsXP/mediacenter/"; target="_blank">http://www.microsoft.com/WindowsXP/mediacenter/</a>;

It gives you tv-like control over your videos, tv, PVR, pictures and music stored on the computer. Instead of having to shuffle everyone off to your computer, you can just flick a button on the remote control and displays on the tv. It does this by connecting your monitor or TV to the computer via monitor port or firewire. It comes with a HP/XP remote control. It has normal TV/VCR/DVD controls coupled with XP specific functions.

Needless to say, this translates to a pretty decent "digital hub" strategy. Although the computer is the workhorse of the two, it is nice to see some pretty cool products. I think something like this would be a practical and an excellent focus for Apple.

Take a look and see if you think.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I'm in a pissy mood today, and this sounds just like what I've been waiting Apple to get off it's ass and produce. I think I'll go take a look at it and perhaps buy it tonight.

Seriously
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Yep, hobbled piece of crap.

I know eventually Jobs will fold to pressure and come out with a mac equivalent, but hopefully Apple's pledge to stay away from DRM will make it worthwhile.

When I think of what can be done with a media computer hooked into my TV, the internet, and a P2P network with massive hard drives connected I start to drool. Imagine the computer on Star Trek that has a copy of every TV show and movie ever made and you start to get close. Also, cable and satelite companies will have to change their business models and that is only good for us consumers.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    I'm moving this to General Discussion.