Apple's Tim Cook says iPhone 8 & Apple Watch Series 3 seeing localized sellouts

Posted:
in iPhone
Apple is seeing localized sellouts of the iPhone 8 and Apple Watch Series 3 on launch day, though units may still be available, Apple CEO Tim Cook said in a TV interview.

"I am thrilled," Cook told CNBC. "Here's what we're seeing right now. The watch with LTE -- the Series 3 Watch -- we are sold out in so many places around the world. And we're working really hard to meet demand. We've sold out of iPhone 8 and 8 Plus in some stores, but we've got good supply there. You can see what's going on here this morning --- I couldn't be happier."

While there have still been significant lineups at some stores, some other reports have pointed to low numbers in places like Sydney and even New York City. Many people are believed to be waiting for the iPhone X, shipping Nov. 3, despite the cheapest model starting at $999 before any accessories or AppleCare+.

Cook was also asked about LTE connection problems encountered by reviewers testing the Series 3.

"The issue is very minor, it will be fixed in a software update," Cook replied. "It has to do with the handoff between Wi-Fi and cellular, and we'll fix that. It only happens in a rare number of cases. I've been using it for quite a while and it works great. So we're very happy about it."

U.S. online shipments of the iPhone 8 and 8 Plus are seeing delays, but some configurations of the 8 Plus can be delivered as soon as next week, suggesting that demand isn't as high as with some past launches. LTE-equipped versions of the Apple Watch Series 3 may ship as late as mid-October.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 44
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    He’s lying of course. The watch has already been declared a DOA failure. Or so it is said.
    edited September 2017 bdkennedy1002StrangeDaysRayz2016watto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 2 of 44
    He's trying to keep the stock prices from tanking.
  • Reply 3 of 44
    ben20ben20 Posts: 126member
    In his dreams, this is a boring phone and everybody wants iPhone X. 
    stanhope
  • Reply 4 of 44
    Has Cook ever not been thrilled about something? Well when it comes to Apple not politics or something else. Realistically speaking a 30+% drop in the stock prices is coming just like in 12 and 15. Is this it or does it have one more new high in it? I was thinking it would drop after guidance for the next quarter came out (which I assume will be extremely strong) and people realized it had made another top. Thought it would hit 175-180 before the drop, but maybe 165 was the top this time. Constructive opinions or thoughts?
    flyingdp
  • Reply 5 of 44
    You can still get any variation where I am. 
  • Reply 6 of 44
    ben20 said:
    I don’t.
  • Reply 7 of 44
    Nothing wrong with the 8, and as has been mentioned in many reviews there are a lot of things to love about it. People wouldn't be making a mistake buying one. But, it is second fiddle to the soon to be released (and quickly go into backordered status) iPhone X. It's understandable that Apple needs to aggressively promote the 8, both because of the lower price point and because the 8's are something they can actually ship in volume.
    stanhope
  • Reply 8 of 44
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    Are the iP8 and iPX already on display at an Apple Store?  I haven't yet walked into one to see as I avoid the stores during launch time.

I know the iPX doesn't launch until November, but are they in the stores to be viewed?
  • Reply 9 of 44
    ben20 said:
    I don’t.
    X2

I don't either. I can be 90% or better of an iPhone X for $200 less with iPhone 8. I have a feeling some who are waiting for iPhone X will end up getting an iPhone 8 in the end. I think the backlog of orders will be substantial and people will get impatient as they always do and just settle for an iPhone 8, which in my opinion isn't really settling. You're still getting a very nice phone. And hey...you get TouchID! :smiley: 

Apple couldn't care less about the stock price. Only people like Sog sit there and stare at Apple's stock price. The day Apple sits and worries about appeasing investors is the day Apple dies. I don't think you can run a multi-billion company on making sure your stock price is up. The stock market cares about is revenues and profits....something Apple doesn't necessarily care about, or at least its not its primary concern like it is investors. 

I think this is also another reason why you can't judge sales of iPhone 8 by just seeing if the phone is shipping longer the 1-3 business days online. There are many who will go into a store (Apple, cellular store, Best Buy, etc) and grab one this weekend, or slightly afterwards. I just don't think opening weekend is a measure of how well something does. 
    edited September 2017 macplusplusStrangeDays
  • Reply 10 of 44
    Tim Cook gives an interview to CNBC every year after an iPhone launch. This is nothing new.
    bb-15StrangeDays
  • Reply 11 of 44
    I think this is the end of the home button. 
    If iphone x profoundly out performs the iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 plus then next year we will only see the iPhone x and and iPhone x plus. 

And people will be told if they want a home button then can buy the iPhone 7/+ 8/+ or iPhone se 

and i think eventually there will be two classes of iPhones the iPhone SE or iPhone classic, that's updated every so often during a sales lull and the iPhone X line updated yearly.
    edited September 2017
  • Reply 12 of 44
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Just passed by an Apple Store to buy my 4K Apple TV (it was completely packed) and played around with the iPhone 8 (which was sold out). Its really a gorgeous phone, the glass makes it look and feel that much better. Portrait mode is also really need, and the UI is very slick. I'd buy this phone ASAP, if I wasn't considering the X.
    bb-15macplusplusStrangeDayspscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 44
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Doomed! 

Most people probably pre-ordered the iPhone. 

Analysts are talking out of both sides: first they say X is too expensive. Next they say people are skipping the 8 to buy the X. Either way Apple failed. 
    bb-15watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 44
    sog35 said:
    tshapi said:
    If iphone x profoundly out performs the iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 plus then next year we will only see the iPhone x and and iPhone x plus. 

Amd people will be told if they want a home button then can buy the iPhone 7/+ 8/+ or iPhone se 
    Hard to say.

I don't think Apple will make the only new iPhone $999 next year. That would be harsh.

I don't think the iPhone8 is selling bad because of the home button. I think its selling 'bad' because the front looks EXACTLY THE SAME as 4 years ago.  People want something new.  Personally I have the 6+ and I don't want to be looking at the same phone face for the next 2 years.  I don't need the best, but I do want something new.

IMO, Apple should make an iPhone 9 with smaller bezels AND touch ID.  Its not that hard.  Just shrink the bezels by 20-30% just like the iPad Pro. Even shrink the TouchID button a bit or enlongate it. That phone should sell for $699.

Next years lineup:

iPhone X1 - $999
    iPhone X1 Plus - $1099

iPhone 9 - $699 - smaller bezel with home button
    iPhone 9 Plus 

You think next years' phones will be called iphone (ten)(one) and iphone (ten)(one)plus- not a chance.
    redgeminipa
  • Reply 15 of 44
    sog35 said:
    tshapi said:

Amd people will be told if they want a home button then can buy the iPhone 7/+ 8/+ or iPhone se 
    Hard to say.

I don't think Apple will make the only new iPhone $999 next year. That would be harsh.

I don't think the iPhone8 is selling bad because of the home button. I think its selling 'bad' because the front looks EXACTLY THE SAME as 4 years ago.  People want something new.  Personally I have the 6+ and I don't want to be looking at the same phone face for the next 2 years.  I don't need the best, but I do want something new.

IMO, Apple should make an iPhone 9 with smaller bezels AND touch ID.  Its not that hard.  Just shrink the bezels by 20-30% just like the iPad Pro. Even shrink the TouchID button a bit or enlongate it. That phone should sell for $699.

Next years lineup:

iPhone X1 - $999
    iPhone X1 Plus - $1099

iPhone 9 Plus 

I didn't say the price would be the same, in fact I suspect it will go down to 899. I honestly think Apple came out with the iPhone x to test the waters. AND the iPhone 8/8+ In case the change was to radical for most.  But the iPhone x pre order and launch next month will be a test of how much better it sells. Like people are saying October 27 and nov 3rd is the real Date for the launch of the real iPhone. 

Remember Apple isn't afraid to make a bold move.
    edited September 2017
  • Reply 16 of 44
    sog35 said:
    tshapi said:

Hard to say.

Next years lineup:

iPhone X1 - $999
    iPhone X1 Plus - $1099

iPhone 9 Plus 

This is ridiculous. No way is Apple going to have a spread of $300 between 2 iPhones models. And OLED is the future. Apple isn’t going to waste R&D and capital on an LCD screen with slightly smaller bezels just so the front of the phone looks slightly different. The iPhone 8 is a stop gap product period. 
  • Reply 17 of 44
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    sog35 said:
    tkell31 said:
    Has Cook ever not been thrilled about something? Well when it comes to Apple not politics or something else. Realistically speaking a 30+% drop in the stock prices is coming just like in 12 and 15. Is this it or does it have one more new high in it? I was thinking it would drop after guidance for the next quarter came out (which I assume will be extremely strong) and people realized it had made another top. Thought it would hit 175-180 before the drop, but maybe 165 was the top this time. Constructive opinions or thoughts?
    I agree we MAY be due another 30% drop.

I survived both drops and will survive the next one.

I don't think this is it.  $165 is too low.  

I'm thinking we hit $180 Jan/Feb 2018.  Then we are poised for a 25% drop. Which means the stock will probably be at $135 mid 2018.

I don't think we will see a 40% drop like 2012/2015 because:

1. Wall Street trust Tim Cook more.  He has proven himself the last 5 years.  In 2012 he was an unproven entity.

2. Apple services.  Its become a massive part of the business.

Personally I got some Cash handy in case I'm wrong and the stock drops to $140 level.  Then I will buy more shares.

If we hit $180 I'm going to sell 50% of my shares and wait for the big dip.
    Are you this dull in real life?
  • Reply 18 of 44
    The trolls and naysayers are spewing the same old tired lines that have been uttered every time something new has been released. When the iPhone was announced, we heard months of negative comments, predictions of doom. Didn't happen. How can anyone say that Apple doesn't watch their stock prices? It's stupid to think otherwise; without maintaining (and improving upon) their value they'll wither and die. Hasn't happened yet, isn't going to happen now. Since when is the Apple Watch (the largest-selling smartphone in the world) a failure? The Series III will be an even bigger success. When the iPod was announced, people scoffed, said it was a stupid product. Hmm... how did THAT work out? When the iMac came out, the same know-it-alls said it wouldn't sell. Hmm... how did THAT work out?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 44
    My Series 3 was delivered this morning; setup was easy with the quick start process (that “scan the twirling pattern” thingy is cool, gives me confidence in my upcoming iPhone transfer) and it’s on my wrist and running like a champ. Worlds faster than my Series 0. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 44
    sog35 said:
    1. Wall Street trust Tim Cook more.  He has proven himself the last 5 years.
    Proven what, exactly? That he can ride existing momentum without instantly crashing? Sculley managed that too, remember?

I watched all of this happen in the early 1990s. By the late 80s the management was more focused on what Wall Street thought of them than anything to do with their products. To keep that ball rolling, they adopted the "high right" policy because that made the margins look good, and WS loves its margins. Within five years their customer base consisted entirely of high-end publishing and rich people. And they had all the machines and software they needed. The developers left the platform in droves. Anyone could get tickets to WWDC.

SJ came back and basically noted that they were a consumer company with no consumer products. He solved that with the $999 iMac. They followed with a stream of consumer products that were well priced and well built. That pushed up the stock price to the stratosphere. And now we have the same problem again. 20 years later, after the price of electronics has fallen in half, the cheapest iMac is $1299, and the bottom-of-the-line MacBook is the same price. They are eliminating every low-end product from their catalog, with the exception of the Apple TV, which is now the world's most expensive and least flexible streamer box.

I don't think he's doing a good job at all. I think he's cutting out the soul of the company, again.
    mobird