This week on AI: iPhone 8, Apple TV 4K & Apple Watch Series 3 make their debut alongside O...

Posted:
in General Discussion
The iPhone 8, Apple TV 4K, and Apple Watch Series 3 finally hit shelves at the end of the week, not long after the launch of iOS 11, tvOS 11, and watchOS 4. All was not smooth sailing for Apple, as the company found itself having to promise minor software updates to fix bugs or fill in missing features.

To keep up on the latest in the Apple world, download the official AppleInsider app, and subscribe to our email newsletter.

Everything you need to know:

• The iPhone 8, Apple TV 4K, and Apple Watch Series 3 reached shoppers > >
  • Launch day saw localized sellouts, according to Tim Cook > >
  • iOS 11 went live on Tuesday with features like ARKit, and Siri and Control Center upgrades > >
  • watchOS 4 brought new faces and fitness features to the Apple Watch > >
  • tvOS 11 tweaked the fourth-generation Apple TV with automatic light/dark mode switching and more > >
  • Apple is preparing a watchOS update to solve LTE connection glitches with the Series 3 > >
  • The iPhone 8 should do faster wireless charging with a later software update > >
For in-depth discussion of this week's hottest stories, listen to the AppleInsider podcast. Subscribe here, or stream the embed below:

A roundup of all of our hottest stories this week:

First iPhone 8, Apple Watch Series 3, Apple TV 4K pre-orders arrive, now on sale at international Apple stores

Apple's Tim Cook says iPhone 8 & Apple Watch Series 3 seeing localized sellouts

Apple's iOS 11 available to all, brings better Siri, ARKit, H.265, AirPlay 2, more

Apple launches watchOS 4 for Apple Watch with improved Activity & Workout tracking, revamped Music app, Siri watch face

Apple launches tvOS 11 for Apple TV, adding live news & sports in TV app

Apple admits to LTE connection issues with Apple Watch Series 3 review units, says fix coming

iPhone 8 wireless charging speed will improve with future firmware update from Apple

Apple begins rollout of TV app in Australia, Canada ahead of iOS 11 & tvOS 11 debut

Video: Everything you need to know about Apple's iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus

Toshiba picks Bain consortium as winner for its memory unit, likely backed by Apple

Messages in iCloud not implemented at present, coming in a future update to iOS 11

Qualcomm loses two key rulings in its patent royalty fight with Apple

Apple says Dolby Atmos surround sound coming to Apple TV 4K in later update

LIFX smarbulbs gain long-delayed support for Apple's HomeKit

Apple TV 4K won't play 4K YouTube videos because of missing Google codec

Nearly 1700 Aldi grocery stores gain support for Apple Pay contactless payments

3D Touch app switcher shortcut will return to iOS 11, says Apple's Craig Federighi

Apple contributing $1M to Mexico earthquake relief efforts, says CEO Tim Cook

iPhone 8 unboxing & fast setup with iOS 11's new Quick Start

Not all iOS 11 features coming on Tuesday, Apple Pay Cash coming later in the fall

Apple says it's only streaming 4K iTunes movies, not offering downloads

First look: Apple Watch Series 3 with cellular: stainless steel vs. aluminum

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1

I am very disappointed with the Control Center update in iOS 11. I was hoping to be able to REMOVE settings that I don't frequently change, and don't want to accidentally touch. Instead, I'm still stuck with wifi, bluetooth, do not disturb, airplane mode, and so forth in my control center. But hey, at least we can ADD a bunch more stuff to the already cluttered interface.

Come on, Apple... I just want quick access to utilities like the flashlight and calculator.

Also, who thought it would be a great idea to make the notifications screen look identical to the lock screen? That's a terrible UI choice. It looks like you've accidentally locked your phone every time you swipe down to get to the notifications.

edited September 2017