Apple rumored to launch jumbo-sized 6.46-inch iPhone X in 2018

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 2017
Reports from South Korea suggest that Apple has ruled out a 5.2-inch OLED phone in 2018, and is examining two sizes of OLED screens with one very similar to the iPhone X, plus a large-format LED model.

Reported by The Investor on Monday, citing "local parts makers," Apple has suspended development of a smaller 5.28-inch OLED iPhone. Possiblilities for the 2018 model year include a slightly larger 5.85-inch and 6.46-inch model, with the possible insertion of a greater than six-inch LCD model in the line somewhere.

As a result of the shift, parts manufacturers are reportedly seeing changes in order volumes for future iPhones. Apple has reportedly signed several contracts with Samsung for multiple OLED screen sizes.

At present, the iPhone 8 boasts a 4.7-inch screen. The iPhone 8 Plus is 5.5 inches. The OLED iPhone X has a 5.8-inch screen.

Samsung's Galaxy S8 comes in 5.8- and 6.2-inch sizes.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    roakeroake Posts: 811member
    And so it begins...
    edreddoozydozenr00fus1Nameo_watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 27
    I would never accept anything as big as an iPhone Plus, and I'm annoyed by the notion of being forced to settle for a lower end product in order to get the form factor I want. Though I doubt the credibility of this rumor, if true it would totally sour my interest in iPhones in general. 
    edited September 2017 kitatittokyojimuEric_WVGG
  • Reply 3 of 27
    I would never accept anything as big as an iPhone Plus, and I'm annoyed by the notion of being forced to settle for a lower end product in order to get the form factor I want. Though I doubt the credibility of this rumor, if true it would totally sour my interest in iPhones in general. 
    Good, that leaves more for the rest of us.
    Rayz2016king editor the grateslprescottStrangeDaysdoozydozenNameo_watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 27

Thats physics for you. Bigger phone leaves more volume for better parts. Plus it all about the upsell. 
    StrangeDaysdoozydozenNameo_
  • Reply 5 of 27
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    Not sure I follow your logic.  The iPhone X is just slightly larger in chassis than the iPhone 8(and 7/6s/6) 4.7" screen model.  What this rumour indicates is that Apple next year will essentially keep this size, and add a larger screen version, which in chassis size is likely close to the 5.5" plus model.

So the iPhone X (5.8" screen diagonal) is roughly the size you would use, no?

The move to larger screens (for the majority) is a trend that I don't see reversing.  I certainly look forward to the 5.8" screen size, in roughly the same physical chassis as current 7, when I upgrade in a year or 2.  I am sure there are many that would jump at a ~ 6.5" screen phone.

I do hope that Apple makes an update to the SE line to keep the low-end fresh, and perhaps (in a few years) this will get a bigger screen but in a chassis size similar to current SE.
    watto_cobrabb-15
  • Reply 6 of 27
    Why do they keep going back and forth with this? I have an iPhone SE. I don’t want anything bigger. 
    edredentropys
  • Reply 7 of 27
    I can't  agree more. I learnt to accept the size of the 4.7" generation iPhones but absolutely won't use anything bigger than the iPhone X.

Comfortable one handed use is over. Why can't we have the best features in the smaller size?

The plus phones don't equal to premium to me, they just have large screens.
  • Reply 8 of 27
    Can’t pls everybody that’s for sure… but Apple has a thing for trying to make everything on the smaller side. Love the Apple Watch but my wrist makes it look like a girls watch. Plus they’re trying to put so many features in such a small form factor. As far as the phones, I’m on the 6.5 size preference. Wld be nice if they just made the size options that mostly  everyone wants… 
  • Reply 9 of 27

It would be about the same size as the current iPhone+... what form factor do you want if not the iPhone X current form factor?

I would see 'maxing' the size to have a 6.5" screen as the likely replacement of the iPad Mini as a SKU, Higher ASP.  a notch smaller size.

===
    12pro    OLED + FaceID, slightly smaller footprint, (home button?)
    10.5pro  Spring update (iPhone 8 parity)
    (New) mini bezeled  OLED iPad [no home button, FaceID]

The iPads will get OLED, but given their mass, will still need larger bezels... the questions being how much, bezel, will the home button disappear, and will the notch appear?
    One could argue the the 10 and the 12 may stay approx same physical size but increase the screen to 11 and 13, or they shrink with the same size screen and tighter bezels.
    ====
    6.5 (X+)  FaceID
    5.8 (X)  FaceID
    5.5 (7+)  no faceID [last year of sales]
    5.2 (XSE)  OLED FaceID in a roughly iPhone SE footprint
    4.7 (7)    no faceID [last year of sales]

And at that point the question will be more about cannibalization of the MacBook Air and MacBook.

• Reply 10 of 27
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    May be Apple should have two line up?

X mini ( iPhone SE Size )   - 5.2"        
    X ( iPhone 7 Size )             - 5.8"
    X Plus ( iPhone Plus Size) - 6.5"

iPhone SE
    iPhone
    iPhone Plus

This is assuming, OLED price aren't coming down in the next 2 - 3 years. And Cutting OLED into irregular sharp wont be either. ( Current only Sharp is doing it ) NAND and Memory price will drop by the end of 2018.

Pricing would be
    X Plus  - Starting at $1199
    X          - Starting at $999
    X Mini   - Starting at $799
    iPhone Plus - $699
    iPhone         - $499
    iPhone SE   - $299

Or Simply cutting out the iPhone Plus

X Plus  - Starting at $1199
    X          - Starting at $999
    X Mini   - Starting at $799
    iPhone         - $599
    iPhone SE   - $349

doozydozenkituwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 27
    How big would the SE screen be without Bezels, 5"?
    doozydozenwatto_cobrabb-15
  • Reply 12 of 27
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,293member
    Once again, I think Apple and Samsung are going to be sucking up the world's OLED screens for the next few years.  This will be tough on the other manufacturers.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 27
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,664member
    It would mark a turnaround in its way of seeing large screen phones in general but if they think there is demand for an even larger screen, then why not try to accommodate it?

I just hope it isn't a substitute for the iPad Mini.
    kitu
  • Reply 14 of 27
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    Why do they keep going back and forth with this? I have an iPhone SE. I don’t want anything bigger. 
    Apple, are you listening?  @bdkennedy1002 doesn't want a phone bigger than the SE, so can you PLEASE stop making any larger versions for anyone else?  Thanks.
    doozydozenwatto_cobralbarry74icoco3fastasleepbb-15
  • Reply 15 of 27
    dougddougd Posts: 292member
    I’ll buy it !
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 27
    I would love to see a larger iPhone.
    london11watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 27
    jidojido Posts: 125member
    I would love a smaller iPhone X.

Honestly I find the 8 too big
  • Reply 18 of 27
    You don’t but there are so many that do. This is the reason I got the 8 Plus this year and not the x. Holding out for the bigger phone. They are going to do it because they have to have a phone that competes with the note series.
    watto_cobraicoco3
  • Reply 19 of 27
    brucemc said:
    Apple, are you listening?  @bdkennedy1002 doesn't want a phone bigger than the SE, so can you PLEASE stop making any larger versions for anyone else?  Thanks.
    I don't think he's complaining about the larger size, but rather about the suspended development of the 5.28" model which is what would replace the SE.  I think he wants the newer technology and bezel-less screen in an SE sized package.
    entropyswatto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 27
    Massive, slab-like phones sell better in Asia for some reason.
    watto_cobra