Apple switches from Bing to Google as default search platform in Siri, iOS Search, and Mac...

Posted:
in macOS edited September 2017
Apple is switching from Microsoft's Bing to Google as the default Web search provider for Siri, iOS Search, and Spotlight on the Mac, the company announced on Monday.

"Switching to Google as the web search provider for Siri, Search within iOS and Spotlight on Mac will allow these services to have a consistent web search experience with the default in Safari," the company said in a statement to TechCrunch. The company insisted that it has "strong relationships" with both Microsoft and Google.

While video results will point to Google's YouTube, searches for Web images will still pull from Bing. Apple has sometimes been criticized for defaulting to Bing outside of Safari, since Google is significantly more popular, but image search is a particular speciality of Microsoft's search engine.

The news comes in tandem with the launch of macOS High Sierra. The free update will make a number of enhancements to apps and underlying frameworks, including support for the Apple File System, H.265 video, and Metal 2 rendering.

The company is also clamping down on cookie-based user tracking, to the consternation of many parties in the advertising industry.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 50
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Hopefully this means Giggle paid Apple a few more billion!!
    jfc1138doozydozenjbdragonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 50
    cali said:
    Hopefully this means Giggle paid Apple a few more billion!!
    No, I am pretty sure Apple has just decided to help out Google for free. /s
    doozydozenGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 3 of 50
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    sog35 said:
    Too bad.

but Bing is such a trainreck Apple had no choice
    I’m sure it wasn’t for free. Apple probably asked Goog if they’d like to be default for a couple more Billion and Goog did a backflip and fetched the money happily. 
    argonautdoozydozenwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 50
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    It's possible Microsoft wasn't willing to pay as much as they once were. Someone at some point will likely become privy to why Apple changed default providers. It's probably not (just) for the reason Apple stated it was. Like the others here I would expect it came down to how much was willing to be paid for Apple users but that's just a guess.
  • Reply 5 of 50
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member
    As long as I can switch back, I don't care what the default is.
    argonautjfc1138doozydozen[Deleted User]
  • Reply 6 of 50
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    sog35 said:
    Too bad.

but Bing is such a trainreck Apple had no choice
    Some would say the same about Siri.
    Mintzmazda 3s
  • Reply 7 of 50

wonder what the final price tag Google have to pony up to secure the main position.

Does anyone know if you can change the default search on Andriod phones?

watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 50
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    It's about time Apple created their own search engine IMHO.  Apple could do it for the good of their users not to exploit them.  
    gtrdoozydozenwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 9 of 50
    maestro64 said: Does anyone know if you can change the default search on Andriod phones?
    Yes you can. 
    https://www.greenbot.com/article/2879150/how-to-change-the-default-search-engine-in-android.html

Here's one oddity that iOs users might not expect: If you change the search default in Safari you might assume that it would also change for Siri and Spotlight. Unless something changes that is not the case. Google will remain the Siri and Spotlight default even if you prefer to use DuckDuckGo for example and have it set as your default. But you can specify a provider by command each time you invoke a Siri web search. 
    edited September 2017 patchythepirate
  • Reply 10 of 50
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    This is all about the money. It’s already been reported that Google will pay Apple $3 billion this year, up from last year.
    bb-15watto_cobrapscooter63patchythepirate
  • Reply 11 of 50
    MacPro said:
    It's about time Apple created their own search engine IMHO.  Apple could do it for the good of their users not to exploit them.  
    I don’t think so. For Apple to have any hope of competing, they would have to make up for two decades of R&D. Yes, they could get a jump start because they know, in general, what works now. But it would cost billions to just get going. Maps costs them billions a year.

and who would use this other than Apple users? Really? Then they would have to contend with China and other regimes like that. How would they manage the privacy concerns? What about advertising? They would have to have that for participating companies, and websites.

it would be a nightmare for them.
    bb-15SpamSandwichdoozydozenpatchythepirate
  • Reply 12 of 50
    melgross said:
    This is all about the money. It’s already been reported that Google will pay Apple $3 billion this year, up from last year.
    I don't think so Mel.

There was an analyst mentioned here at AI in an article guessing that Google might have to pay as much as $3B to secure rights. There was no one claiming it as fact to the best of my knowledge. 
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 13 of 50
    gatorguy said:
    melgross said:
    I don't think so Mel.

There was an analyst mentioned here at AI in an article guessing that Google might have to pay as much as $3B to secure rights. There was no one claiming it as fact to the best of my knowledge. 
    I believe that it’s an official number, but I haven’t really checked. It’s far more likely to be true though. We do know that google has paid Apple about $2 billion in past years.
  • Reply 14 of 50
    melgross said:
    gatorguy said:
    melgross said:
    I don't think so Mel.

We do know that google has paid Apple about $2 billion in past years.
    No we don't even know that to be a fact AFAIK. The only thing factually known, and that was thru a discovery process in a court case, is that Google paid $1B in 2014. If someone has proof of the $2B figure tho I would not be insulted if corrected. 
  • Reply 15 of 50
    sog35 said:
    gatorguy said:
    melgross said:
    I don't think so Mel.

You are right.

Apple probably has to pay Google for the priveldge to use Google search.

Google keeps winning and Apple keeps losing. Am i right?
    Huh??
  • Reply 16 of 50
    sog35 said:
    gatorguy said:
    sog35 said:
    gatorguy said:
    melgross said:
    I don't think so Mel.

You are right.

Huh??
    I mean that's what you are thinking right?

Google just keeps on winning bro. Am I right?
    Double huh. You aren't trying trying to troll me are you? 
    edited September 2017
  • Reply 17 of 50
    melgross said:
    MacPro said:
    I don’t think so. For Apple to have any hope of competing, they would have to make up for two decades of R&D. Yes, they could get a jump start because they know, in general, what works now. But it would cost billions to just get going. Maps costs them billions a year.

and who would use this other than Apple users? Really? Then they would have to contend with China and other regimes like that. How would they manage the privacy concerns? What about advertising? They would have to have that for participating companies, and websites.

it would be a nightmare for them.
    I hear you but then again I recall similar thoughts expressed about Apple entering mapping too before they did. There is always DuckDuckGo to be bought and improved upon.  As to who would use it...  well the Apple users as they do Maps.  It also has the advantage of screwing with Google. /(evil chuckle) ;)
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 50

gatorguy said:
    sog35 said:
    gatorguy said:
    melgross said:
    I don't think so Mel.

You are right.

Huh??
    What no quotes and links to back that 'Huh??' up from your overlords?  ;)
    gtrericthehalfbeewilliamlondondoozydozenwatto_cobrapscooter63anton zuykov
  • Reply 19 of 50
    sog35 said:
    gatorguy said:
    sog35 said:
    gatorguy said:
    sog35 said:
    gatorguy said:
    melgross said:
    I don't think so Mel.

You are right.

Huh??
    I mean that's what you are thinking right?

Google just keeps on winning bro. Am I right?
    Double huh. You aren't trying trying to troll me are you? 
    Nope.

I've been reading your posts for several years.  I'm just helping you out here, so you don't have to say what you are thinking.

You know how Apple fanboys can be bro.

Since I've been reading yours for several years as well I realize that sincerity is not always your goal, with trolling seemingly more important at times. Carry on.
    edited September 2017 bigmushroomdoozydozen
  • Reply 20 of 50
    So are you done now with your silly unhelpful gosh I want to make this personal cause otherwise I got nuthin stuff? I think you've distracted from the thread enough.
    edited September 2017 bigmushroomdoozydozen