Watch: Everything you need to know about Apple's macOS High Sierra release

Posted:
in macOS edited September 2017
Apple on Monday released its latest and greatest Mac operating system, macOS 10.13 High Sierra, to users around the world. Check out what's new in this video.

For more reviews, news, tips, features and more, subscribe to AppleInsider on YouTube.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    One hour ago I installed High Sierra. I had 30Gb of free space on a 250Gb Mack Book. After an hour the free space automatically increased to 90Gb. It seems much faster. Works great so far. 
    watto_cobraapres587williamlondonhodar
  • Reply 2 of 21
    I've been trying to download it on 2 different computers all day. All I get is the spinning wheel in the App Store update tab on both computers. After a while I closed the app store on both computers and relaunched. Then I tried to just click "download" on the High Sierra tab in the "featured" section and got the same thing... endless spinning and waiting. Sigh...
  • Reply 3 of 21
    I will wait till fusion drive support is there..
    my imac is fusion unfortunately..
    ( it was not ‘unfortunately’ when i bought it though)
    Craig seems to have confirmed that fusion drive will be supported in future updates ..
    edited September 2017
  • Reply 4 of 21
    jdwjdw Posts: 1,324member
    pigybank said:
    I've been trying to download it on 2 different computers all day. All I get is the spinning wheel ...
    Be specific.  What 2 computers exactly?
  • Reply 5 of 21
    If Fusion Drives will "eventually" be supported, should I assume that normal, non-Fusion, spinning drives will never be supported by APFS? (Specifically, all the external hard drives I have connected to my 2017 iMac.)
    edited September 2017 watto_cobralostkiwi
  • Reply 6 of 21
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    pdbreske said:
    If Fusion Drives will "eventually" be supported, should I assume that normal, non-Fusion, spinning drives will never be supported by APFS? (Specifically, all the external hard drives I have connected to my 2017 iMac.)
    APFS works with HDDs, too. You won't get all the benefits than an SSD will get with this modern file system, but there are clearly benefits to the file system on all storage mediums. I have it working perfectly on a 5-bay RAID filled with HDDs.

I did have a problem when converting the HDD boot drive in my Mac mini to APFS—iit would stale during the boot—but that was during an early beta. I will convert it to APFS, but it needs to be done via Disk Utility in Recovery Mode, but since it's a headless machine I'll have to connect a monitor, mouse and keyboard, which is why I haven't tried it since the initial High Sierra beta install which had the check box to convert to APFS.
  • Reply 7 of 21

I've not jumped onto High Sierra yet, mainly because of the APFS' lack of support for Fusion Drives.

The fact that I really need to clean up my 3TB iMac drive is also another factor. I don't want all my redundant data slowing up the indexing again, if it happens.

• Reply 8 of 21
    I don’t appear to be able to update yet, Tuesday morning in the UK. I have a 2013 iMac. 
  • Reply 9 of 21
    dachar said:
    I don’t appear to be able to update yet, Tuesday morning in the UK. I have a 2013 iMac. 
    Same here. But I am in India, and maybe it updates at a different time? That has not been the case so far, but there's always a first time!

Right now I only had an iMovie update and then nothing else showing up.

Cheers
    ireland
  • Reply 10 of 21
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    I will wait till fusion drive support is there..
    my imac is fusion unfortunately..
    ( it was not ‘unfortunately’ when i bought it though)
    Craig seems to have confirmed that fusion drive will be supported in future updates ..
    Where did Craig say this?
    edited September 2017
  • Reply 11 of 21
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    jdw said:
    pigybank said:
    I've been trying to download it on 2 different computers all day. All I get is the spinning wheel ...
    Because he owns them?!
  • Reply 12 of 21
    JanNLJanNL Posts: 327member
    pdbreske said:
    You can apply APFS to all sorts of disks, but remember Time Machine isn't working on APFS... In case you use your external hard drives for Time Machine backup.
  • Reply 13 of 21
    Please stop with the videos. I'm not part of this Youtube generation. I would rather read quickly than be held captive.
    williamlondonStrangeDays
  • Reply 14 of 21
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,241member
    I upgraded my Fusion drive iMac and it's running fine, just not using APFS. Everything else has been updated/upgraded. As for Fusion Macs being updated, here's the article, https://www.macrumors.com/2017/09/25/apfs-fusion-drive-high-sierra-update/. ;

My issue deals with APFS encrypted. I was able to encrypt external drives during beta but now when I try and encrypt my external SSD drive, it starts the process then says it's encountered an error. I re-partition to HFS+, which clears out the APFS containers (confirmed with diskutil apfs list) then partitioned with simple APFS and it works. This is being done on a MBP with aftermarket SSD, which was also upgraded to HS.

Disk Utility has the ability to partition APFS encrypted but it might on be for internal drives. I don't see any GUI method of changing my internal SSD to APFS encrypted. I don't believe FileVault for HS, which is still available, is the same as converting APFS to APFS-encrypted. I know I could use the command line to (hopefully still) do it but it has to be easier than that, especially when I wasn't given the option of using APFS-encrypted when upgrading the internal disk during the HS upgrade.
  • Reply 15 of 21
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,241member

JanNL said:
    pdbreske said:
    You can apply APFS to all sorts of disks, but remember Time Machine isn't working on APFS... In case you use your external hard drives for Time Machine backup.
    Superduper! has a beta version available that isn't "signed", which surprises me because they've signed their regular apps for a long time. It runs by taking a snapshot then (I believe) backing up the snapshot. I haven't looked at Carbon Copy Cloner yet but Superduper! did appear to run properly. I haven't tried booting from it yet. That's on my list for this morning. 

I formatted my backup drive as APFS-encrypted before backing it up with Superduper! and when I check it, it doesn't say it's encrypted so not sure what's going on. It's a standard HDD. I'll also try that again.

Since my iMac uses Fusion, I can still use the current released version of Superduper! to back it up to a regularly formatted RAID disk (not sure what I'm going to do with this one once APFS is available for my iMac).
  • Reply 16 of 21
    I have a 2012 Mac Mini, with a Fusion drive. Note: I made the Fusion drive with a Samsung 256 GB SDD and the iFixit upgrade kit, using the existing Apple 500 GB HDD. My upgrade also included increasing the DDR3 to 16 GB.

The High Sierra install took about 45 minutes, and went off without a hitch - the only caveat is that I had to reconnect my WiFi, as the WiFi connected to my neighbor's WiFi for reasons I do not understand - and that wasn't even a complete internet connection. But, this was easily remedied. Once I reconnected my WiFi to my home wireless connection, everything worked as normal.

My Fusion drive remains HFS+ at 750GB, my external HDD storage remains HFS+, and I have all the software advantages that come with High Sierra. When High Sierra gains the APFS for Fusion and HDD support, I'll simply do the upgrade and have my file systems updated. I see no reason to hold off on the upgrade.

edited September 2017
  • Reply 17 of 21
    mdoss said:
    dachar said:
    Same here. But I am in India, and maybe it updates at a different time? That has not been the case so far, but there's always a first time!

Right now I only had an iMovie update and then nothing else showing up.

Cheers
    Same thing happens every time - This is not an "UPDATE" go to "FEATURED" in the app store and download the new operating system
  • Reply 18 of 21
    Not sure if anyone knows the answer, but here goes...

I have a mid-2011 iMac which does not technically have a fusion drive, but something kind of similar. It has two separate physical drives: a 256GB SSD drive (for system files and applications, etc.) and a 2TB HDD (for documents, etc.). These two drives appear as Macintosh HD (the SSD) and Macintosh HD 2 (the HDD) in the Finder.

Does anyone how High Sierra will handle this situation? Will it convert the SSD to APFS and leave the HDD an HFS+ or will it leave both formatted HFS+ (thinking it may be fusion drive like)?

If it does convert the SSD and leave the HDD alone, could that cause issues running High Sierra with two different file systems on the same machine?
    Also, what about Time Machine backups? Would there be issues with Time Machine trying to back up two different files systems for a single computer?

If anyone happens to know the answers to the above questions, I (and anyone else with a mid-2011 iMac) would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!
    edited September 2017
  • Reply 19 of 21
    I'm sorry, but I seriously can't focus on your videos with that unnatural intonation. Nothing personal, but it is very distracting. Maybe get a voice coach?
  • Reply 20 of 21
    jdwjdw Posts: 1,324member
    ireland said:
    jdw said:
    pigybank said:
    Because he owns them?!
    I haven't the faintest idea what you're talking about.  Do you?  :-)

If you or anyone else can install an OS on a computer, you surely know what kind of computer it is!  And the reason to even mention that the newest MacOS does NOT work on a given computer is to state which computers those are!  For example, if I came here and said, "I installed MacOS High Sierra on a Hackintosh and it didn't work" you and I and the rest of us would exclaim, "NO DUH!"  But if you said, "I installed it on a 2017 iMac and it didn't work" then we could try to work with you to understand why.

Sheesh!  I don't understand it when people post vague things and expect to have their comment garner attention!  The only reason I care is because I have some older Macs and am interested in hearing the experiences of others who may also have them but who have installed High Sierra on them.