Apple issues first developer betas of iOS 11.1, macOS 10.13.1, watchOS 4.1 and tvOS 11.1

Posted:
in General Discussion edited September 2017
Apple on Wednesday provided developers with early versions of its next significant software releases for iPhone, iPad, Mac, Apple Watch and Apple TV, all of which are set to get point-one updates in the near future.

The new software and accompanying build numbers are as follows:
  • macOS High Sierra 10.13.1 beta (17B25c)
  • watchOS 4.1 beta (15R5823c)
  • iOS 11.1 beta (15B5066f)
  • tvOS 11.1 beta (15J5559d)
In addition, Apple has also issued a beta of Xcode 9.1, build 9B37, which includes Swift 4 and SDKs used to build apps with the latest changes in the four platforms.

It is not known what the updates include, but a number of features were absent from last week's public release of iOS 11, including AirPlay 2 and Apple Pay Cash. It's likely that a point-one update would bring those anticipated features.

A timeframe for the release of iOS 11.1 is not known, but it would make sense for it to arrive alongside or before the iPhone X, which is set to arrive on Nov. 3.

iOS 11 launched to the public last Tuesday and was quickly followed up with an iOS 11.0.1 update that addressed glaring bugs. Point-zero-one updates are generally minor bug and security fixes, while point-one updates often have new features and capabilities.

tvOS 11 and watchOS 4 also debuted for Apple TV and Apple Watch, respectively, last week. Separately, macOS 10.13 High Sierra had a later launch, having arrived this Monday.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    Do we know what glaring bugs iOS 11.0.1 addressed? The release notes were fairly bare and the article this article links to doesn’t have any detail about it either.

My biggest disappointment is not having Apple Pay Cash yet.  I can wait on AirPlay 2 as I have no devices that require it at this point.  All my current AirPlay stuff is working fine so...
  • Reply 2 of 10
    Do we know what glaring bugs iOS 11.0.1 addressed? The release notes were fairly bare and the article this article links to doesn’t have any detail about it either.

My biggest disappointment is not having Apple Pay Cash yet.  I can wait on AirPlay 2 as I have no devices that require it at this point.  All my current AirPlay stuff is working fine so...
    The major bug addressed with 11.01 was fixing MS Exchange syncing. 
    Scot1
  • Reply 3 of 10
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

i don’t think there ARE any glaring bugs. At least I’m not seeing anything real but the usual “My phone is bricked, thanks Apple!” blathering on the Apple Discussion Forums. There will always be bugs to squash but it’s been a long time since a real show stopper cropped up.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    xbitxbit Posts: 390member
    As a developer, I’ve found more bugs in iOS 11 than any release since iOS 7. Really basic things with scroll bars, refresh controls and search controllers are totally broken. I really hope that these are addressed in iOS 11.1.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Scot1Scot1 Posts: 121member
     My phone has slowed down after OS 11 and many apps are slow to launch and also the battery drains considerably more in fact I can watch the percentage drop every couple of minutes while doing nothing.  And yes I’ve checked all my settings to minimize usage in the background with mail etc.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    xbit said:
    As a developer, I’ve found more bugs in iOS 11 than any release since iOS 7. Really basic things with scroll bars, refresh controls and search controllers are totally broken. I really hope that these are addressed in iOS 11.1.
    Care to expand in the bugs you've discovered?
  • Reply 7 of 10
    xbitxbit Posts: 390member
    macxpress said:
    xbit said:
    Care to expand in the bugs you've discovered?

There’s too many for list here but here’s three examples:

1) Section headers appear in-front of scroll indicators if you use the default flow layout for collection views.

2) There’s an option to shrink large titles when a view scrolls. Half the time nothing happens when this option is enabled.

3) Refresh and search controls have been integrated into the navigation bar. Having both works fine if you don’t do any customisation (i.e. your navigation bar looks exactly like an Apple app). Try to do something simple like change the background color or add text to the refresh control and all hell breaks loose. 
  • Reply 8 of 10
    I'm hoping to see a fix in battery life. I was using the public beta version of 11.0 with no issues, but when updating to 11.0.1, my iPhone 7 Plus battery life is horrible, dropping more than 50% in just 3-4 hours. Also noticed it gets warmer than usual when charging.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    tenchi211 said:
    I'm hoping to see a fix in battery life. I was using the public beta version of 11.0 with no issues, but when updating to 11.0.1, my iPhone 7 Plus battery life is horrible, dropping more than 50% in just 3-4 hours. Also noticed it gets warmer than usual when charging.
    There is something going on other than the 11.01 update unless going from Beta (especially if it was outside GM) through a "real" version triggers a reindexing of the phone and general housekeeping. It's possible it also triggered some third party apps updates.

If the phone is warm, something is running, look in settings.

This .01 update coming from 11.0 was very very minor and a very narrow niche part of the code. But, since you came from the beta version your likely triggering some special install functions people on 11.0 are not; maybe even being considered a new install that needs complete reindexing.

Wait 24-48h before panicking.

• Reply 10 of 10
    I am good, 2 iPhones, SE and 7, plus an iPad Pro. Updated with no problems and working great. I did have 4 APPS where the developer did not update their APP. Good thing I know where the delete key is :)