iBook or PowerBook?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I am seriously considering getting a new laptop very soon. I don't have enough money to buy the new powerbooks, but macmall and such stores have the 667mhz for $1999. I am trying to weigh this against an iBook 800mhz 12in. combo drive. Is there a performance increase in the PB because of G4 or the iBook because it has a faster clock speed.

Thanks for your help,

Macaddict16

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    I'm thinking about selling my 667. Email me if you want details.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    I think it depends what you want to do with it. For rugged portability, I'd go with the iBook. That's what I got, but I also have a dualie desktop as my main computer. If you want a laptop to serve as your only computer, and you want to do video or graphics work on it, I'd go with the powerbook. But if you do, I'd make sure to get a mouse for it, given the large amount of screen real estate. Even though I'm happy with my iBook because it suits my needs, I sometimes find myself drooling over powerbooks when I see people using them.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    tooltool Posts: 242member
    Ok..I'm debating this myself..iBook 800 or 667 powerbook that's 2 months old.

I'm not a "poweruser" (I don't do too many processor-intensive stuff) but I do know that a G4 would be better...what to do...what to do..
  • Reply 4 of 10
    stunnedstunned Posts: 1,096member
    Go with the new ibook. Its much more value for money.

Apple finally have some compettiteve prices now!
  • Reply 5 of 10
    stevesteve Posts: 523member
    If only the 14" iBook had higher resolution. 1024x768 is not even adequate on OS X, what with its large text, big-ass dock icons, etc. I am going to have to recommend the PowerBook, even though the iBook is much cheaper. The screen is just too important, and it's arguably the most "organic" component; you have to look at and work within the confines of this screen whenever you use your computer, so you want to make sure it's a good one.

The PowerBook has become more competitive, with its reduced price. It is, in my opinion, the better value, if you can swing it.

EDIT: Also, get the modern low-end. For only $300 more, you'll get a processor that's nearly a third faster, and a much more superior graphics chip (the RADEON 9000). The hard disk is also roomier. If you want to use this as your primary machine for a couple of years, you should find a way to buy the 867 model. Take out a loan if you have to.

[ 11-17-2002: Message edited by: Steve ]</p>
  • Reply 6 of 10
    spartspart Posts: 2,060member
    1024x768 does suck a little in OS X, but on a 12.1" display you really don't want to go higher.

I'd also like to point out that you can shrink the dock down to 16x16, smaller if you can cram enough crap into it.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    stevesteve Posts: 523member
    I had assumed he was talking about the 14" iBook, which could've easily had 1152x867. You can shrink the dock down, but then it becomes almost unusable, especially for indicators, minimized windows, etc. He shouldn't have to make these sorts of sacrifices when he's purchasing a $2000 computer.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    spartspart Posts: 2,060member
    Yeah, even though I think it's ugly and would never buy one, the 14" does deserve a higher-res display.

Would at least make me think about buying one and then reject it on the basis that higher resolution or not, it still looks crappy.

Sorta like the eMac...the base when you look at it from the top with the screen open looks empty. Too much space everywhere.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    tooltool Posts: 242member
    [quote]Originally posted by Steve:

EDIT: Also, get the modern low-end. For only $300 more, you'll get a processor that's nearly a third faster, and a much more superior graphics chip (the RADEON 9000).

<hr></blockquote>

Where are you buying yours that you can get a low-end powerbook for $1899? (the 14inch iBook being $1599...+$300 like you said above)
  • Reply 10 of 10
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    [quote]Originally posted by TOOL:

<strong>

Where are you buying yours that you can get a low-end powerbook for $1899? (the 14inch iBook being $1599...+$300 like you said above)</strong><hr></blockquote>

i think he was talking about the 667 PB vs the 867 PB