Apple iOS 11.0.3 update available, fixes iPhone 7 haptic feedback, iPhone 6s screen servic...

Posted:
in iPhone
Apple has issued a third update to iOS 11, with the latest fix sorting out haptics and audio on some iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus devices, plus one involving non-genuine display replacement on the iPhone 6s.

It is not clear what was the root cause of the iPhone 7 family issue, nor how prevalent it was. The iPhone 6s-specific fixes a condition where an iPhone 6s would be rendered non-responsive if fixed with a third-party display.

Apple has appended an unusual note to the update, saying that third party displays may have "compromised visual quality" and may fail to work correctly. The company goes on to remind users that repairs should be done by Apple to guarantee installation materials and repair skill.

The update, weighing in at about 279MB, appears to be limited to the two fixes, much the same way that the prior two sub-point updates were restricted in scope.

On Monday, Apple released beta 2 of iOS 11.1. It is unclear if the fixes issued on Wednesday are included in that update.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 33
    magman1979magman1979 Posts: 1,292member
    On this like a fat kid on a cupcake!
  • Reply 2 of 33
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,141member
    Still no fix for the tanked battery life and UI framerate, sad panda. 

Still also have the issue where it won't play the audio I played last when connected to a car or reconnecting headphones, between apple music and podcasts it's like a random number generator. Once I even pressed the earpod remote to pause a podcast, and music started playing instead. 

Like this thread: 
    https://www.reddit.com/r/apple/comments/74opom/ios11_i_never_know_what_audio_will_play_next/
    edited October 2017
  • Reply 3 of 33
    Speaking of screen responsiveness- I have an iPhone 8, anyone having issues with copy and paste in email? More specifically highlighting selecting by holding down to move the cursor? Seems the cursor gets stuck and turns invisible, I can only move the cursor again by switching apps or flicking the open email down to reveal inbox and then go back into composing the email. Sent an inquiry into Apple, just wondering if anyone is having this issue or just lucky me!! Thanks!
  • Reply 4 of 33
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    Apple product quality is worse.  This is the third update for bug fixes after 11 is released three weeks ago. On the surface one will argue Apple is working hard fixing bugs. The truth is Apple use little number of employees dedicated to product testing. The bugs are mostly discovered by users. This is a random hit and miss technic. 
  • Reply 5 of 33
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    tzeshan said:
    Apple product quality is worse.  This is the third update for bug fixes after 11 is released three weeks ago. On the surface one will argue Apple is working hard fixing bugs. The truth is Apple use little number of employees dedicated to product testing. The bugs are mostly discovered by users. This is a random hit and miss technic. 
    "The truth it"? Sorry, how the fuck do you know that's the "truth", and how do you have ANY idea how many employees Apple has bug testing? Logic would indicate it is a higher number now than anytime in its history. Every version of iOS has associated bugs. I'm just glad that Apple is now providing fixes and updates at a much quicker pace than before. Thats a good thing, not bad.
    LukeCagewlymchiaStrangeDaysfastasleepmagman1979jony0wg45678
  • Reply 6 of 33
    tipoo said:

Still also have the issue where it won't play the audio I played last when connected to a car or reconnecting headphones, between apple music and podcasts it's like a random number generator. Once I even pressed the earpod remote to pause a podcast, and music started playing instead. 

Like this thread: 
    https://www.reddit.com/r/apple/comments/74opom/ios11_i_never_know_what_audio_will_play_next/
    I have the audio thing too - its a tad confusing,
    As far as battery life , my newish 5SE is terrible on battery, so is my wife's 5S. I have two colleagues at work - one with 5SE ( we both like the smaller iPhones) and one with a 7, and they have had no apparent issues with battery life. 
    It seems from my very small sample size that is only some ( small percentage? iPhones that are suffering - I hope Apple fixes it soon. Im holding out for an X, ( I know its big but Apple are no likely to offer an X-mini anytime ever..
  • Reply 7 of 33
    I am still having trouble with the lock screen. Several times a day I have to turn off/on my phone bc the clock and everything disappears. It’s an issue I have seen others post about as well. Hoping it comes along in an update soon. I also don’t think this is necessarily bad that Apple has had 3 patch releases come out - iOS is getting more complicated each year. Sometimes you just can’t catch everything no matter how good your QA team is. I’m still happy overall...esp with iOS 11 on iPad. Sooo nice.
  • Reply 8 of 33
    tipoo said:

Like this thread: 
    As far as battery life , my newish 5SE is terrible on battery, so is my wife's 5S. I have two colleagues at work - one with 5SE ( we both like the smaller iPhones) and one with a 7, and they have had no apparent issues with battery life. 
    It seems from my very small sample size that is only some ( small percentage? iPhones that are suffering - I hope Apple fixes it soon. Im holding out for an X, ( I know its big but Apple are no likely to offer an X-mini anytime ever..
    Both my iPad mini 4 and iPhone SE drain from 100 to 25 percent if left unplugged overnight.  

Are you using HomeKit? I’m trying to figure out why some are affected more than others. Back in iOS 10 I notice battery life took a bit of a hit when I started to use it.

But this change going to ios11 is ridiculous to drain this much without being used at all over night.  
    edited October 2017
  • Reply 9 of 33
    tzeshan said:
    So your saying a 41 year old company doesn’t know how to properly conduct product testing? The bugs that happen, which are, completely normal are due to the number of users compiled by massive number of user scenarios that can’t be accounted for. Apple has to ship software on a reasonable timeline so they can only test for common and likely scenarios. Even then bugs still can occur. It is impossible for any company to test for all possible things that could happen for over a Billion users. 
    edited October 2017 StrangeDaysjony0
  • Reply 10 of 33
    LukeCage said:
    tzeshan said:
    So your saying a 41 year old company doesn’t know how to properly conduct product testing? The bugs that happen, which are, completely normal are due to the number of users compiled by massive number of user scenarios that can’t be accounted for. Apple has to ship software on a reasonable timeline so they can only test for common and likely scenarios. Even then bugs still can occur. It is impossible for any company to test for all possible things that could happen for over a Billion users. 
    This could also be said about Microsoft? I don’t think it’s the age of the company that matters.  
    edited October 2017
  • Reply 11 of 33
    slurpy said:
    tzeshan said:
    "The truth it"? Sorry, how the fuck do you know that's the "truth", and how do you have ANY idea how many employees Apple has bug testing? Logic would indicate it is a higher number now than anytime in its history. Every version of iOS has associated bugs. I'm just glad that Apple is now providing fixes and updates at a much quicker pace than before. Thats a good thing, not bad.
    You seem to have become unhinged over this.  It not worth it.  Find some way to calm down. You will live longer. 
  • Reply 12 of 33
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    jeff_cook said:
    slurpy said:
    tzeshan said:
    You seem to have become unhinged over this.  It not worth it.  Find some way to calm down. You will live longer. 
    Sounds like I am, I'm just sick and tired of reading these "The truth is..[insert some variation of how Apple sucks]" posts, where the poster proceeds to pull something out of his ass and claim as fact. 
    chiaStrangeDaysfastasleepmagman1979
  • Reply 13 of 33
    jeff_cook said:
    tipoo said:

Like this thread: 
    Both my iPad mini 4 and iPhone SE drain from 100 to 25 percent if left unplugged overnight.  

Are you using HomeKit? I’m trying to figure out why some are affected more than others. Back in iOS 10 I notice battery life took a bit of a hit when I started to use it.

But this change going to ios11 is ridiculous to drain this much without being used at all over night.  
    Im not using HomeKit - actually I want to, I have apple TV's but I had already invested in d-link and we-mo's & Honeywell - probably next year iL probably throw it out and stick with HomeKit stuff only.
    battery life will get sorted - I have a variety of iPads including a pro - and I have not suffered battery experiences. - 
  • Reply 14 of 33
    slurpy said:
    jeff_cook said:
    slurpy said:
    tzeshan said:
    Sounds like I am, I'm just sick and tired of reading these "The truth is..[insert some variation of how Apple sucks]" posts, where the poster proceeds to pull something out of his ass and claim as fact. 
    I agree with you, it is upsetting to see people do that. However, maybe that's the point.

I think we all want to see a perfect product out of the gate. It's frustrating when it's not.  I personally think the poster is trying improve Apple QC in their own way.  Bringing attention to their own frustration to the masses through speculation of what they may not be doing right.

you are right, it likely is speculation. 

edited October 2017
  • Reply 15 of 33
    I have a 6S and had the battery drain issue after updating to 11, I decided to revert back to 10.3.3 before they stopped signing it. I'm holding off on updating again until maybe 11.1 or later... juuuust to be safe. 
  • Reply 16 of 33
    I'm trying to identify what background processes are eating the battery on my company-issued 5S. I know that it is something that is disabled by being in low power mode; but I have not been able to identify it yet, so I am working around the issue by putting the phone into low power mode before turning in for the night. If I forget to do so, then I can count only having no more than 65% power remaining in the morning, and often more like 40% remaining in the morning, and that is presuming I was at 100% before turning in for the night.

If I leave it in low power mode overnight after being brought up to 100%, it will be between 98% and 100% in the morning.
  • Reply 17 of 33
    280MB is huge...

That’s about 1/10 the size of the OS...

Does it also cure cancer? 
    jeff_cook
  • Reply 18 of 33
    longpath said:
    I'm trying to identify what background processes are eating the battery on my company-issued 5S. I know that it is something that is disabled by being in low power mode; but I have not been able to identify it yet, so I am working around the issue by putting the phone into low power mode before turning in for the night. If I forget to do so, then I can count only having no more than 65% power remaining in the morning, and often more like 40% remaining in the morning, and that is presuming I was at 100% before turning in for the night.

If I leave it in low power mode overnight after being brought up to 100%, it will be between 98% and 100% in the morning.
    I'll give that a try on my SE tonight and report back.  Unfortunately the iPad mini 4 doesn't have a low power mode.   I've updated both now to 11.0.3
    edited October 2017
  • Reply 19 of 33
    jeff_cook said:
    slurpy said:
    tzeshan said:
    Nah, a swear word is ok, it’s part of how adults speak. What you have here is one person speaking illogically, and another using logic.
    edited October 2017
  • Reply 20 of 33
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    slurpy said:
    tzeshan said:
    Every week Apple asked people to install a new version. Hundreds of million of people spent a few minutes to do it. In total this is a huge waste of time. Many of the bug fixes do not effect every one.  But they have to waste a few minutes at least to do it. 

I read that Apple let many employees testing iPhone X. This is just a rudimentary way. You need dedicated testers.  They will use a list or a chart to cover all the known uses. 
    edited October 2017