Rumor: Apple considering iPhone with stylus for launch in 2019

Posted:
in iPhone
Apple engineers have reportedly been working on an iPhone that would come with a stylus, which could launch in 2019 or later if it comes to fruition.

Apple markets the Apple Pencil as an essential add-on for the iPad Pro.
Apple markets the Apple Pencil as an essential add-on for the iPad Pro.

The company is in talks with a pair of stylus makers for a potential partnership, according to one of several sources on the matter for Korean publication The Investor. Other sources claimed that Apple would likely go with an supercapacitor stylus instead of an EMR (electro-magnetic resonance) model, and may actually need a dramatic upgrade of its A-series processors to handle planned handwriting support.

"Apple had to compromise on some touch performance of the latest iPhone X largely due to the less advanced chipset," one person said.

The Apple Pencil currently works only with iPad Pros, and may be too large for iPhones regardless.

Apple co-founder Steve Jobs was famously resistant to the idea of including a stylus with the iPhone, saying "if you see a stylus, they blew it" in his criticism of other phones circa 2007. At the time however stylii were being used in place of finger input, not just as a complement for tasks like drawing and notes.

Since then Samsung's Galaxy Note series has also proven popular, the Note 7 notwithstanding. Each Note comes with a small stylus that tucks away inside a compartment -- Apple could conceivably adopt a similar strategy, given the greater internal space in the 5.8-inch iPhone X and rumors of a future 6.46-inch format.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    Steve would have approved of a stylus accessory as long as it wasn’t a required part of the user interface.
    viclauyycbdkennedy1002patchythepiratebb-15doozydozenradarthekatnetmagejfc1138LukeCage
  • Reply 2 of 27
    Hey it’s the iPhone Note!
    gatorguydoozydozen
  • Reply 3 of 27
    I'll stop buying iPhones then.
    viclauyycdoozydozenmagman1979
  • Reply 4 of 27
    What exactly would the A11 be "less advanced" than on the current mobile market? Not sure that remark is actually directed at the SoC. 
    welshdogdoozydozenchianetmage
  • Reply 5 of 27
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    I'll stop buying iPhones then.
    No you won't....
    waverboypatchythepiratebb-15pscooter63doozydozenanton zuykovnetmageStrangeDaysjfc1138LukeCage
  • Reply 6 of 27
    Don’t think Steve will approve it. You think Steve and Jony will included a pen holder attached to iPhone?

The only possible way is add support of the pen and make a tiny pen as accessories.
    doozydozen
  • Reply 7 of 27
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    The ability to use the pen with the iPhone would be great for when you have to do fast work. Editing text is a pain with the finger. A pen length to match (not sure which phone) and a case with a hoop, or a separate sleeve and you got it right there when you need it. I like the idea. But then I also would like to see the iPad capable of using a mouse.

And for the one's worried about what Steve would think - Steve's dead, baby. Steve's dead. And if you don't know where that is paraphrased from shame on you.
    edited October 2017 pscooter63doozydozen
  • Reply 8 of 27
    I have no problem with if as long it’s not required to operate the iPhone, similar to the pencil on iPad. 
    bb-15anton zuykovnetmagejfc1138watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 27
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    smcarter said:
    I have no problem with if as long it’s not required to operate the iPhone, similar to the pencil on iPad. 
    Which is exactly how I see it being used. This is what Steve meant during the original keynote when he said who wants to use a stylus? Back then, you pretty much HAD to use a stylus to use the phone. 
    bb-15doozydozenwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 27
    tshapitshapi Posts: 369member
    jd_in_sb said:
    Steve would have approved of a stylus accessory as long as it wasn’t a required part of the user interface.
    I think Apple will just make two sized Apple pencils that will be purchased separately. 
    bb-15doozydozen
  • Reply 11 of 27
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,015member
    viclauyyc said:
    Don’t think Steve will approve it. You think Steve and Jony will included a pen holder attached to iPhone?

The only possible way is add support of the pen and make a tiny pen as accessories.

Ummmm.....hello? 
    patchythepirateStrangeDays
  • Reply 12 of 27
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,015member
    I really doubt this.  They may make it compatible with Pencil or make a special version, but I highly doubt they are going to include it.  Knowing how much Jobs opposed the stylus in developing the iPhone, I have a lot of trouble believing this rumor at all.  
    dasanman69doozydozen
  • Reply 13 of 27
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,911member
    In reality, a lot of people are using them already. As others have mentioned, it depends on how you design the interface and whether you make it a required part of the interface. Of course if Apple does this, there will be (understandable) howls of Apple copying the Galaxy Note
    gatorguydoozydozen
  • Reply 14 of 27
    Oaaaaarrghh Joni !!
    I can't wait to stick it in my lightning port 
    edited October 2017
  • Reply 15 of 27
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
    Hey where’s Sog? Has he been banned again?
    magman1979doozydozenStrangeDays
  • Reply 16 of 27
    This isn’t about whether it would be required to navigate the interface. I don’t think anyone is suggesting that. Are they going to make a smaller version of the Pencil? Would they design a pencil holder into the phone or would you carry it separately like now with iPad Pro? I can’t see it being popular if it’s something you have to carry separately or in a special case. Hence why I don’t see Apple ever doing it. 
    doozydozen
  • Reply 17 of 27
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    "Apple had to compromise on some touch performance of the latest iPhone X largely due to the less advanced chipset," one person said.

Yeah I don't think anyone actually said that and if they did, they don't know of what they speak. This kind of made up BS that gets passed on as fact is a lame attempt at painting Apple in a bad light.  Not sure anyone should put much faith in anything The Investor says regarding Apple, since they are Korean and thus most likely biased against Apple. This is FUD.
    patchythepirate
  • Reply 18 of 27
    Apple had to compromise on some touch performance of the latest iPhone X largely due to the less advanced chipset”. That is utter bullshit to promote Samsung Note that one person says. Did anyone notice any performance loss on multi-touch and 3D Touch during the keynote and the hands-on session? If there is one point Apple wouldn’t tolerate any compromise it is the touch performance.
    doozydozenchianetmage
  • Reply 19 of 27
    MplsP said:
    In reality, a lot of people are using them already. As others have mentioned, it depends on how you design the interface and whether you make it a required part of the interface. Of course if Apple does this, there will be (understandable) howls of Apple copying the Galaxy Note
    It doesn't matter at the end. This would spell DOOM for Samsung Galaxy Note series. Samsung already has a hard time selling the note lineup even 10 million phones a year. Once Apple provides stylus support, Samsung may need to ABANDON their Note lineup due to very low volume in couple of years, unless Samsung change direction for their Note lineup. Right now, Samsung is focusing on "FORM" over "Functionality" even for their Note lineup. It worked very well for S lineup, since it is a mainstream one. For Note, it is NOT a right approach, but Samsung is insistent on the same (luckily no competition so far). Once Apple provides stylus support, Note would have a hard-time differentiating itself with their current approach and will end-up as an inferior product for the potential buyers.
    doozydozen
  • Reply 20 of 27
    bb-15bb-15 Posts: 283member
    As for using the Pencil on an iPhone. 
    Apple needs to solve the problem of using the Pencil on a smaller tablet form factor. Phone screens are getting close to 7 inches which is the size of small Android tablets.
    It makes sense that a close to 7 inch screen iPhone could use a slightly shorter Pencil. How that is done could be solved by making a case with a holder.  
    edited October 2017