Apple adds several US airports to Apple Maps including Chicago's O'Hare

Posted:
in iPhone
Apple has added the interiors of several major U.S. airports to Apple Maps, among them O'Hare International and Midway International in Chicago.

Other additions include Miami International, Oakland International, Las Vegas's McCarran International, and Minneapolis-Saint Paul International. To see details, Apple Maps users can simply zoom in far enough, or tap "look inside" for the appropriate buildings.

Until recently, only Philadelphia International and San Jose International had indoor coverage, supported since this summer's iOS 11 betas.

Apple's airport maps let users find gates, food, shops, and other points of interest, with all the details outdoor locations would normally include, such as images, operating hours and directions. As necessary, people can browse by floor.

Similar maps are being added to malls. Future airports will include some of the world's biggest hubs, such as London's Heathrow, New York's JFK, Toronto's Pearson International, and Amsterdam's Schiphol.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    More of this please, Apple.
    JWSCstantheman
  • Reply 2 of 10
    Baltimore’s BWI Airport has had this since the summer betas as well. 
  • Reply 3 of 10
    FolioFolio Posts: 698member
    Slightly off topic, but thank you Apple Maps for including off-beat places too, not just useful eatery chains. Recent visit to Charleston, SC was surprised to see listed on Apple's grid a Historical Maps and Prints shop. I stayed fascinated more than an hour. Owner traced her history to French Huguenot immigrant in 1695. Came away with three 19th Century prints of seaweed, of all things.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    For sure. I like the airport maps on Apple so much better than the ones on Google Maps. Unfortunately I have to use Google since Apple doesn't cover the airports I use the most. 
    SpamSandwichJWSC
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Much more. Had the occasion Las mont to change planes in both Oakland and Las Vegas. An internal map would have been incredibly useful. 
    JWSC
  • Reply 6 of 10
    neilmneilm Posts: 987member
    Weird they don't cover Atlanta Hartsfield-Jackson, the busiest airport in North America.
    dewme
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Agreed! I wish Apple would spend less time on new emojis and more time on things like this.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    larz2112 said:
    Agreed! I wish Apple would spend less time on new emojis and more time on things like this.
    Yes because the same team that does the emoji's also does Apple Maps.... /s
    edited October 2017 LukeCagestanthemanjony0
  • Reply 9 of 10
    buzdotsbuzdots Posts: 452member
    neilm said:
    Weird they don't cover Atlanta Hartsfield-Jackson, the busiest airport in North America.
    Busiest in the world.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    macxpress said:
    larz2112 said:
    Yes because the same team that does the emoji's also does Apple Maps.... /s
    No, you reassign the team working on emojis to instead spend time working on more important things, like maps. It's sad that I had to explain that.