Apple Pay may be coming to Poland and the Netherlands later this year

Posted:
in iPhone edited October 2017
Apple may be preparing a large European expansion for Apple Pay later this year, as new rumors point to Poland and the Netherlands joining a list of rollouts.

A tip and photos received by AppleInsider on Wednesday indicate that PKO Bank Polksi is currently testing Apple Pay, and could offer support by the end of 2017. The photos depict a generic BP Mastercard ready for a transaction.

Several sources for Dutch site One More Thing have meanwhile claimed that ING will soon bring Apple Pay to the NetherlandsSeptember-quarter financial results. The company sometimes makes smaller announcements during results calls.

Recently a report indicated that Apple Pay could arrive in Sweden as soon as October. Launches in Denmark and Finland are also expected in the next several months, something Apple CFO Luca Maestri hinted at during the company's third-quarter results call.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    I’ve been using Apple Pay on my watch with US credit cards for the past 3 weeks in the Netherlands.
    chia
  • Reply 2 of 4
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    pvanallen said:
    I’ve been using Apple Pay on my watch with US credit cards for the past 3 weeks in the Netherlands.
    People have been using Apple Pay on the iPhone and Watch all over the world with US CCs all over the world since it was launched. "Coming to [Nation]" means that it's being supported by at least one financial institutions in said nation.
    patchythepiratephilboogie
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Soli said:
    pvanallen said:
    People have been using Apple Pay on the iPhone and Watch all over the world with US CCs all over the world since it was launched. "Coming to [Nation]" means that it's being supported by at least one financial institutions in said nation.
    Here is the problem and it does not have anything to do with US CC cards. I happen to be Polish living in the USA. iPhone in Poland is not even remotely popular to what happens on US market. There are reasons for it (for the record one of Apple reps in Poland happens to be my family). Polish market is saturated with Android devices and not with iPhone for simple reason of cost and program offerings. Apple needs to better support online stores in some countries and get engaged in marketing product in Poland rather than offer advanced feature like ApplePay. This is of course if it wants to see wider market rather than stay luxury niche product in hands of richeast people only. I do see improvemnt over years but art like music and movies is offered at very low level for European market end especially for individual countries. There is a lot of local music that is frequently far more popular than American rock which did not make to iTunes stores. Similar with movies. Echo system is based on Windows PCs - not on Apple Macs or even iPads. People download music from alternative sources and apps come from Marketplaces rather than from Apple store. It will be very low value for any financial institution in countries like Poland to support ApplePay unless it amakes to mainstream of mobile product. Andno people are not kids to get convenenienced to buy Apple expensive devices with lower level of avainlable entertainment than Android just to have ApplePay feature. One needs to be delusional thinking that. People in Europe are very pragmatic and not neccessarily as rich as in the USA.
    edited October 2017
  • Reply 4 of 4
    JanNLJanNL Posts: 327member
    This is of course if it wants to see wider market rather than stay luxury niche product in hands of richeast people only. Andno people are not kids to get convenenienced to buy Apple expensive devices with lower level of avainlable entertainment than Android just to have ApplePay feature. One needs to be delusional thinking that. People in Europe are very pragmatic and not neccessarily as rich as in the USA.
    Good example why Europe as one entity isn't working... There is simply no cohesion between the different countries, like for example east-european countries and west-european countries. How can you possibly talk about "people in Europe"?