Rumor claims Apple cutting iPhone 8 production orders in half

Posted:
in iPhone
Apple is allegedly slashing its production orders for the iPhone 8 and 8 Plus by roughly 50 percent for November and December, which if true could be the earliest such cut in the iPhone's history.

The claim was made by supply chain official cited by Taiwan's Economic Daily News. Reuters later noted that the rumor may have triggered a 1.5 percent drop in Apple's stock price in pre-market trading.

Such a severe production cut less than two months into the iPhone 8 cycle is unlikely, given Apple's typically conservative production planning, but not impossible. Launch demand for the iPhone 8 may not have been weak, but also saw much shorter lineups at some stores. U.S. online orders are currently shipping between Oct. 25 and Nov. 2, depending on the model -- a far cry from the delays some past iPhone rollouts have seen.

Speculation has commonly held that people are waiting for the iPhone X, which will ship Nov. 3 after a preorder period starting Oct. 27. While costing at least $999, the device has an edge-to-edge, 5.8-inch OLED screen, as well as Face ID, a technology that could prove more convenient than Touch ID so long as it works as promised.

Multiple reports have pointed to production bottlenecks created by the iPhone X's TrueDepth camera, sharply constraining output. Shortages could last through early 2018, though reports differ on the matter.
albegarc

Comments

• Reply 1 of 95
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    For myself, advising a friend, part of the trouble is the "Memory gap":  Where it jumps from 64Gb @ $700 to 256Gb @ $850.

The 64Gb is too small for her.
    The 256Gb is too expensive for her.

So, she keeps using the iPhone 5 I gave her when her iPhone 6 was stolen.
    jbdragonRacerhomieX
  • Reply 2 of 95
    This BS rumor has the stock down 3% as of this post. Insanely stupid rumor, insanely stupid market reaction.
    magman1979bshankwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 3 of 95
    airnerdairnerd Posts: 693member
    I could see this as happening.  This is purely anecdotal but I don't know a single person with an iPhone 8.  Everyone either is sticking with their current iPhone or wanting to wait to see what the X actually has going for it.  No one seems to care about wireless charging. Everyone that wasn't a die hard Apple ecosystem person went to Android if wireless charging was a big deal.  If they wanted it and are part of the Apple Ecosystem then they are wanting the better phone so waiting for X.  Doesn't leave a lot of demand for the 8. 

Just my opinion and not hating on Apple.  
    1983jbdragonsupadav03rogifan_newstevenozalbegarcRacerhomieXcyberzombie
  • Reply 4 of 95
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    A bit ironic that as my 8 Plus arrived today. I’m not potentially waiting another 3 or 4 months for an X.
    SpamSandwichstanthemanmacplusplusGeorgeBMacmagman1979albegarcRacerhomieXwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 5 of 95
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    For myself, advising a friend, part of the trouble is the "Memory gap":  Where it jumps from 64Gb @ $700 to 256Gb @ $850.

1) She bought an iPhone 6 so we can assume that if she didn't get hers stolen and you give her a hand-me-down she's be using it for 3 years, going on 4 now. Rounding down to 3 years that's only $50 per year to get the capacity that she needs to support her excessive data use, which I assume is a bunch of music she can't possibly listen to.

2) So instead of Apple's previous solution of $100 for doubling the capacity they double it twice for twice the cost, which comes out to being a substantially lower cost at only 78¢ per GB, whereas she's willing to pay double that at $1.56  per GB. And that's before we consider that Apple could've kept the entry-level at 32GB and made 128GB an upper tier which would've cost her even more had NAND prices not been where they are for this release, which shows that it's a psychological issue, not a financial one.

3) Considering points 1 and 2 that means in 3 years time she's only spending $50 more what she's willing to pay, which is under $17 a year, or $1.38 per month. Is that really worth sticking with an iPhone that's over 5 year old? Personally, that sounds like a ridiculous line in the sand to draw.
    edited October 2017 radarthekatjfc1138georgie01bshankStrangeDaysRacerhomieX[Deleted User]jony0
  • Reply 6 of 95
    Complete bullshit rumor.
    spliff monkeymagman1979prairiewalker
  • Reply 7 of 95
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    airnerd said:
    I could see this as happening.  This is purely anecdotal but I don't know a single person with an iPhone 8.  Everyone either is sticking with their current iPhone or wanting to wait to see what the X actually has going for it.  No one seems to care about wireless charging. Everyone that wasn't a die hard Apple ecosystem person went to Android if wireless charging was a big deal.  If they wanted it and are part of the Apple Ecosystem then they are wanting the better phone so waiting for X.  Doesn't leave a lot of demand for the 8. 

Just my opinion and not hating on Apple.  
    1) I know plenty of people who have received and ordered the iPhone 8. It hasn't even been on the market a month.

2) Qi charging is a big deal, but that doesn't mean it's worth jumping to an entirely new platform, much less one that's less secure and unlikely to get regular updates.

3) The iPhone 8 is a huge YoY update over the iPhone 7 series.
    RacerhomieX
  • Reply 8 of 95

That’s just silly. The 8 is so far beyond the 5. If she doesn’t want an 8 why not an SE. same dimensions as the 5 too. 

Everyone waiting for an X will be sadly disappointed. Both in the wait time (they’ll never get one for xmas) and version 1 of a new device. I’m grabbing an 8 in a few days. 
    edited October 2017 macplusplusalbegarcRacerhomieX
  • Reply 9 of 95

That’s just silly. The 8 is so far beyond the 5. If she doesn’t want an 8 why not an SE. same dimensions as the 5 too. 

Everyone waiting for an X will be sadly disappointed. Both in the wait time (they’ll never get one for xmas) and version 1 of a new device. I’m grabbing an 8 in a few days. 
    Appreciate the sentiment but to state that everyone waiting for an X will be sadly disappointed is pure crap.  I have had every iPhone since the start and have yet to be disappointed...the X will be just a continuation of awesome.
    jfc1138StrangeDaysbb-15anantksundaram
  • Reply 10 of 95
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,590member
    True or not, the developed market has matured and so have handsets. Competion in Apple's traditional market is the fiercest ever and, for the first time, Apple is competing with itself by offering a complete range of models through a broad range of prices. 

If 'lost' 8 series sales are going elsewhere in the iPhone lineup it's not a big deal. If sales were down across the board, that would be a different story but even that wouldn't be all that much of a deal as the market is saturated and competition is intense. There are still plenty of options open to them.
  • Reply 11 of 95
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,712member
    Buying opportunity then.  It's either BS or perhaps X sales are far higher than expected.  Meanwhile 7s are flying off the shelf.  I see no bad news here.
    radarthekat
  • Reply 12 of 95
    AAPL dropping means buy, buy, buy—let’s take advantage of this opportunity to buy at discounted price. There are always rumors of this kind but the trend on AAPL stock has been up since the stock split and even before that. 

One more ore week for iPhone X to arrive!

Exciting days! Very exciting days!

Don’t let these negativities dampen your days! People who don’t like the iPhone X won’t buy the iPhone X.  And people who wants iPhone X will buy the iPhone X! Nothing you and I can do to change that!

Be happy 😊 Don’t worry 😂 That’s could a song and I bet it could be popular too 😂😂😂
  • Reply 13 of 95
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,301member
    The iPhone 8, while having many changes as the older phones, is really still a OLD DESIGN. It still looks like my old iPhone 6. That seems to matter to many people, no matter how much has actually changed internally.

This is also the first year Apple not only release to 2 iPhones which are minor updates to the iPhone 7 and 7 Plus. Really, how many people really give a crap abut Inductive Charging? Not a whole lot and costs you even more money to buy charging mat that charges your phone slower then just using the included cable.

Now there's a new even higher end iPhone launching 2 months later. If you're looking for a big change for a iPhone, this iPhone X is it. So you wait and hold out to order it. I think sales for it will be HUGE, but people are going to be disappointed because of the long wait to get one. They could all be sold out in the first minute and then it may be months before you can get your hands on one.

Myself, I'm going to use my iPhone 6 for a 4th year as I used my iPhone 4 for 4+ years. Except for this 4th you, the iPhone 6 is much faster the the 4th year on my iPhone 4 which was painful at times at how slow it was. I think it'll be smarter to wait until next year and get the second generation iPhone X, whatever it'll be called. Any issues this new design has. FaceID issues, etc, should be all good for the next version, maybe even faster like TouchID got. If sales are just slow all around, maybe that'll get Apple to really up their game? Maybe lower their prices a bit.
    airnerd
  • Reply 14 of 95
    NY1822NY1822 Posts: 621member
    so comical peoples reactions to this:
    Hellooooooo...they are set to release the X.
    People are acting like the 8 is the only phone.

if i owned an ice cream store and just opened it, and could only sell vanilla for 2 months until my shipment of chocolate arrived, would i keep producing my vanilla cakes at the same rate as when i originally opened knowing chocolate will now be on sale?
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 15 of 95
    NY1822NY1822 Posts: 621member
    bad problem to have, people want to buy your more expensive product...oh, the agony
    jfc1138charlesgresbrucemc
  • Reply 16 of 95

Appreciate the sentiment but to state that everyone waiting for an X will be sadly disappointed is pure crap.  I have had every iPhone since the start and have yet to be disappointed...the X will be just a continuation of awesome.
    iphone 1 outdated within a year, ATV V1 outdated within a year, iPad 1 outdated withina year. I’ve purchased all
    of them. And while I haven’t regretted it completely. V2 I see now in my wide old age as the far better purchase. 
  • Reply 17 of 95
    We traded a 5s for iPhone 8 Plus 64GB and my iPhone 7 for a iPhone 8 also 64GB. With the new photo format the space for photo libraries is much less. Cameras in both are excellent.

No regrets and I’m certain Apple will have  iPhone X or XI for me in late 2018.
    macplusplus
  • Reply 18 of 95
    This BS rumor has the stock down 3% as of this post. Insanely stupid rumor, insanely stupid market reaction.
    Of course. Apple stock lives and dies by iPhone sales.
  • Reply 19 of 95

This rumor could be complete BS but with the increase in price of the 8 and the 7 still being a really good phone plus the existence of the X, I can see where there might be less interest in the 8. I wonder what Apple’s expectations are for the 8.
  • Reply 20 of 95
    larryalarrya Posts: 604member
    NY1822 said:
    so comical peoples reactions to this:
    Hellooooooo...they are set to release the X.
    People are acting like the 8 is the only phone.

if i owned an ice cream store and just opened it, and could only sell vanilla for 2 months until my shipment of chocolate arrived, would i keep producing my vanilla cakes at the same rate as when i originally opened knowing chocolate will now be on sale?
    You’re screwed because you’re selling cake at an ice cream store 😀
    hubbax