CEO of Canada's Rogers sees 'anemic' demand for Apple's iPhone 8

Posted:
in iPhone
The CEO of Canadian communications giant Rogers said that the company is so far seeing "anemic" demand for Apple's iPhone 8, potentially adding to the evidence that global sales are soft.

"What we're seeing is sort of...anemic appetite for the iPhone 8," CEO Joe Natale remarked during a Thursday earnings call, according to Reuters. The executive suggested that customers are interested in the iPhone X, which has an edge-to-edge OLED display and Face ID, and ships Nov. 3. Preorders start a week earlier.

Natale cautioned that the cost of the device and potential supply problems are risks for Rogers's outlook.

"The iPhone X price point is about 75 percent higher than the iPhone 7. So it's a very expensive device," he said. "Inventory is a question mark in terms of what we will get."

Some like KGI analyst Ming-Chi Kuo have sounded an optimistic note about iPhone 8 sales, but launch-day lineups were in some cases much shorter than usual for a new iPhone, and Apple's U.S. online store is showing relatively short delays. Earlier on Thursday, a report claimed that Apple is cutting iPhone 8 production in half for November and December. If true that would suggest that Apple overestimated demand.

Worries about the iPhone 8 have driven Apple's stock price down over 2 percent in Thursday trading. The iPhone X will likely draw investors back, but Apple may need to ramp up production as fast as possible to keep up confidence.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 71
    This should indicate that demand for the X is huge, not that sales are slow.  :|
    siretmananton zuykovboltsfan17leeeh2magman1979minicoffeeRacerhomieXjbdragonbonobobredgeminipa
  • Reply 2 of 71
    Does anemic equates less than expected in case of his statement? Or it means too low and Apple is doomed? Regardless, someone will spin that to say that iPhone 8 is bad, not good enough, etc. blah, blah, blah...
    RacerhomieXmagman1979jbdragonjony0
  • Reply 3 of 71
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,689member
    This should indicate that demand for the X is huge, not that sales are slow.  :|
    Not too long to go till we find out.
    RacerhomieXmakeintoshredgeminipa
  • Reply 4 of 71
    mknelsonmknelson Posts: 1,117member
    That and (independent reseller) we've seen a lot of outright purchases rather than 2 year contract activations.

It usually goes like this:

"I can get this phone for $1149 outright or $630 up front on a 2 year contract for at least $85 per month but my current plan is only $55/month"

Math ensues

"Oh, I'm $200 better off if I keep my plan and buy the phone outright"
    williamlondon
  • Reply 5 of 71
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,616member
    I would like sales to fall flat, proving that Apple his hit a price point where a lot of existing customers just say, “nope, I think I won’t bother upgrading”.

That said, I will pick up an X to try out the new features but I’m not sure about keeping it as it’s the same narrow display at the non plus models.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 6 of 71
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    I think the X is killing the 8. Not necessarily because of demand for the X. The X starts at $1319 in Canada, which will serve to depress demand. But the X is the flagship for this year so those that look to buy flagships won't be looking at the 8. They might avoid the X because of the price, but the fact that it exists might be enough to reduce demand for the 8 by turning it into the SE for this year at flagship pricing of last year (higher actually).
    retrogusto
  • Reply 7 of 71
    RacerhomieXRacerhomieX Posts: 95unconfirmed, member
    irnchriz said:
    I would like sales to fall flat, proving that Apple his hit a price point where a lot of existing customers just say, “nope, I think I won’t bother upgrading”.

That said, I will pick up an X to try out the new features but I’m not sure about keeping it as it’s the same narrow display at the non plus models.
    lol ,keep on thinking that. Please do not buy it. I would love to buy at least 5 at launch date!
    edited October 2017 magman1979anton zuykovRayz2016
  • Reply 8 of 71
    The wireless charging of the 8 is an attractive feature. Not having to plug my iPhone in would be nice. I love just putting my Apple Watch on the Apple white charger. 

However, the 8 does look a little 'dated' to me with it's big chin and brow. There, I said it. I know it's a wonderful device and the best device on the market, but...

I carry a rose gold Se, and it has Touch ID, works w/ my CarPlay, Apple Watch, AirPods, 2017 MacBook/MacOS, and current AppleTV (non-4K), my iPad/iOS11. It cost $200 a couple of years ago (refurbished) and my Ting plan costs me about $32/mo.

My next iPhone will probably be a refurbished iPhone X when my SE breaks. :)
    king editor the grateRacerhomieXelectrosoft
  • Reply 9 of 71
    People I know are finding little reason to upgrade from their 6 or 7 to the iPhone 8, no matter how much better the camera, speed, and the new taptic feedback are.
    I personally don't find the iPhone X to be super expensive, and I think it's a stronger upgrade argument than the 8.
    siretmansupadav03equality72521magman1979redgeminipa
  • Reply 10 of 71
    irnchriz said:

lol ,keep on thinking that. Please do not buy it. I would love to buy at 5 at launch date!
    You're in luck irnchriz, I won't be buying an X either.  You can have mine too!!
  • Reply 11 of 71
    I love my iPhone 8. Nuff' said :)
    equality72521magman1979macplusplus[Deleted User]williamlondon
  • Reply 12 of 71
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    irnchriz said:

lol ,keep on thinking that. Please do not buy it. I would love to buy at 5 at launch date!
    make it 6 since I won't be buying one.
  • Reply 13 of 71
    tulkas said:
    I think the X is killing the 8. Not necessarily because of demand for the X.
    This point is something I tend to agree with. While I fully understand that the supply for the X is low and the cost is high (because of constraints with components allegedly and most likely) I do believe the the general Apple lineup is being spread too thin in a fashion similar to the time of Apple where Steve wasn't there.While some would say that choice is good, others find that too much choice leads to buyer indecision which can prevent a sale altogether (since the buyer feels like he is missing out either way).

But hey what do I know? It's just the impression I'm getting but I am sure Tim knows what he is doing.
    rovertkitatit
  • Reply 14 of 71
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    Yep. I'm waiting for the X. It's going to be interesting to see how fast they sell out on October 27. 
    magman1979williamlondonredgeminipa
  • Reply 15 of 71

People I know are finding little reason to upgrade from their 6 or 7 to the iPhone 8, no matter how much better the camera, speed, and the new taptic feedback are.
    I personally don't find the iPhone X to be super expensive, and I think it's a stronger upgrade argument than the 8
    Agreed.  I have a 7+ and really really really wanted the X to be something better.  But after looking at the specs and functionality of 8 and X, there's no compelling reason to upgrade.  I do find the cost of the X rather high for what you get.  For the first time in years, I feel zero upgrade lust.
    bloggerblogmacpluspluskestralelectrosoft
  • Reply 16 of 71
    zompzomp Posts: 62member
    My Apple upgrade contract is up in March. In the meantime, I’m waiting to purchase a couple of Apple speakers
  • Reply 17 of 71
    I have an iPhone 7 Plus and I am waiting for the iPhone X 256G and thus did not buy the iPhone 8. I will be buying two because my wife is also getting it. 

We are part of the Apple Upgrade program and our payments will rise only about $10 a month each. 

albegarcstevenoz
  • Reply 18 of 71

I personally don't find the iPhone X to be super expensive, and I think it's a stronger upgrade argument than the 8
    Agreed.  I have a 7+ and really really really wanted the X to be something better.  But after looking at the specs and functionality of 8 and X, there's no compelling reason to upgrade.  I do find the cost of the X rather high for what you get.  For the first time in years, I feel zero upgrade lust.
    I agree, and my iPhone 7+ is already a great device. But I'm anxiously waiting for the iPhone X so I can use its unique UI, Apple is amazing at creating UIs for new features.
    magman1979redgeminipa
  • Reply 19 of 71
    I currently have a 7 Plus and debated between upgrading to the 8 Plus or the X. In the end I’ve decided to upgrade to the X because the only thing pushing me to the 8 was questions about the X’s features (FaceID, swipe to home). As I made a list there was really nothing that made me want the 8, just reasons I might not want the X. I’ll be ready to pre-order on the 27th. With the Apple Upgrade Plan, there’s really no reason for me not to.
  • Reply 20 of 71
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,821member
    irnchriz said:

Good luck picking one up just to try it for a while. 
    magman1979