Key Apple & Foxconn executives to meet amid iPhone X production woes

Posted:
in iPhone edited October 2017
Apple COO Jeff Williams will reportedly be meeting with Foxconn chairman Terry Gou when he visits Taiwan later this month, where he's expected to bring up the topic of production bottlenecks possibly hurting the iPhone X.

Williams is mainly headed to Taiwan for the 30th anniversary of TSMC, Apple's exclusive manufacturer for A-series processors, Nikkei said on Friday citing two industry sources. Foxconn -- Apple's main assembly partner -- is also headquartered in Taiwan, even if most of its manufacturing work takes place in China.

Although issues could improve come November, suppliers have allegedly been struggling with components for the iPhone X's TrueDepth camera, used in Face ID and animoji. In particular the problem may be camera's dot projector, used to generate depth maps.

KGI analyst Ming-Chi Kuo recently suggested that Apple could have just 2 to 3 million units stockpiled by the time the iPhone X ships on Nov. 3. While that would often be enough for other products, the X will launch in over 50 markets in its first wave, which could translate into extreme shortages in places like the U.S. and China.

The situation could be compounded by supposedly weak demand for the iPhone 8 versus the X. While sharing some technologies like an A11 processor and wireless charging, the 8 and 8 Plus lack both Face ID and an edge-to-edge OLED display.

At the TSMC event, Williams could potentially run into Qualcomm CEO Steven Mollenkopf, which Apple still depends on for many baseband chips despite a global legal battle.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    Another misleading headline.
    LukeCagebb-15SpamSandwich
  • Reply 2 of 20
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    unphocus said:

New to Apple? Every year we get “woes” articles.

Tis’ the season!
    unphocusanton zuykovbb-15cornchipjony0
  • Reply 3 of 20
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,153member
    There are no "woes"' to discuss. It's all made up.
    LukeCagebb-15SpamSandwichcornchipjony0
  • Reply 4 of 20
    The iPhone 8 is in a difficult position: a solid evolutionary upgrade overshadowed by new technology in an as yet unavailable device that's grabbed most of the attention. I suspect that this will just mean a slower start to sales than usual and then more considered comparisons (including on price) will boost its prospects again.

It's interesting that the British consumer magazine Which? (well respected for its independence and methodical testing but a little superficial and naive on technology) has rated iPhone 8 as marginally inferior to iPhone 7 (and ditto for the two Plus phones). They say "The iPhone 8 and 8 Plus are phenomenal but have been beaten in our tests by the iPhone 7 and 7 Plus, partly due to slightly poorer battery life".

The new case design seems to have passed them by and their average-user perspective maybe means that the evolutionary improvements elsewhere are rated less important. Wireless charging gets just a passing mention (though I struggle to get excited about it too, it's not as though no wires are involved and I can put the device down near a power point and it ends up charged).

I hardly dare mention that Which? rates the Galaxy S7, S8 and Note 8 marginally better that the iPhone 7! Battery life and "slightly better cameras", since you ask.
    randominternetperson
  • Reply 5 of 20
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    command_f said:
    The iPhone 8 is in a difficult position: a solid evolutionary upgrade overshadowed by new technology in an as yet unavailable device that's grabbed most of the attention. I suspect that this will just mean a slower start to sales than usual and then more considered comparisons (including on price) will boost its prospects again.

It's interesting that the British consumer magazine Which? (well respected for its independence and methodical testing but a little superficial and naive on technology) has rated iPhone 8 as marginally inferior to iPhone 7 (and ditto for the two Plus phones). They say "The iPhone 8 and 8 Plus are phenomenal but have been beaten in our tests by the iPhone 7 and 7 Plus, partly due to slightly poorer battery life".

The new case design seems to have passed them by and their average-user perspective maybe means that the evolutionary improvements elsewhere are rated less important. Wireless charging gets just a passing mention (though I struggle to get excited about it too, it's not as though no wires are involved and I can put the device down near a power point and it ends up charged).

I hardly dare mention that Which? rates the Galaxy S7, S8 and Note 8 marginally better that the iPhone 7! Battery life and "slightly better cameras", since you ask.
    So, the review is utter garbage. BTW, battery life is utterly meaningless unless indicating conditions of use. A more powerful phones could last a lot less time because its actually useful for its entire run. Say, playing a game at 10fps for 8h like many Android phones, or actually being able to play it for 4h at 50fps and up...
    The camera is distinctly an improvement (more than slightly) and the phone ridiculously faster (and it shows not just in how it reacts, but in what you can actually do)
    The screen has true tone and its also a better screen, etc.
    I mean, they could justify the fheir rating by simply saying the price is not worth the improvement, but rating the 7 over the 8 just shows they didn't care for the truth.
    calimuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 6 of 20
    I guarantee that senior Apple execs meet with senior Foxconn whenever their paths cross.  There are few business relationships in the world that are bigger than what these two giants have.
    edited October 2017 calimuthuk_vanalingamcornchip
  • Reply 7 of 20
    AI_liasAI_lias Posts: 434member
    foggyhill said:
    command_f said:

So, the review is utter garbage. BTW, battery life is utterly meaningless unless indicating conditions of use. A more powerful phones could last a lot less time because its actually useful for its entire run. Say, playing a game at 10fps for 8h like many Android phones, or actually being able to play it for 4h at 50fps and up...
    The camera is distinctly an improvement (more than slightly) and the phone ridiculously faster (and it shows not just in how it reacts, but in what you can actually do)
    I mean, they could justify the fheir rating by simply saying the price is not worth the improvement, but rating the 7 over the 8 just shows they didn't care for the truth.
    What the? I thought iPhone 8 has better battery life than iPhone 7, like the difference would be between 6 and 6 Plus.
  • Reply 8 of 20
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    unphocus said:
    Yep, everything is “reported to be” or “allegedly”, in other words, hearsay and rumor, no facts. Oh, I forgot “suggested.”
    edited October 2017 unphocuscarnegiebb-15
  • Reply 9 of 20
    AI_lias said:
    foggyhill said:
    command_f said:

What the? I thought iPhone 8 has better battery life than iPhone 7, like the difference would be between 6 and 6 Plus.
    On the compare page https://www.apple.com/iphone/compare/, Apple describes the iPhone 8 battery life as "Lasts about the same as iPhone 7."
  • Reply 10 of 20
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    The woes...the woes...
    cornchip
  • Reply 11 of 20
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    AI_lias said:
    foggyhill said:
    command_f said:

On the compare page https://www.apple.com/iphone/compare/, Apple describes the iPhone 8 battery life as "Lasts about the same as iPhone 7."
    The iPhone X battery life was highlighted as better than the iPhone 7 / 8.

For what it is worth, when I upgraded from my 5s to the 7, I found a phenomenal improvement in battery life.  I wouldn't call myself a heavy user of the main battery draining activities (like my kids), but I still make a few hours of phone calls, message, play music or podcasts for an hour or two, check emails and read web/books, with a bit of navigation thrown in - and I often have 40% of more at the end of the day.  With a 5s it was almost drained by end of day.
    edited October 2017
  • Reply 12 of 20
    brucemc said:
    AI_lias said:
    foggyhill said:
    command_f said:

The iPhone X battery life was highlighted as better than the iPhone 7 / 8.

For what it is worth, when I upgraded from my 5s to the 7, I found a phenomenal improvement in battery life.  I wouldn't call myself a heavy user of the main battery draining activities (like my kids), but I still make a few hours of phone calls, message, play music or podcasts for an hour or two, check emails and read web/books, with a bit of navigation thrown in - and I often have 40% of more at the end of the day.  With a 5s it was almost drained by end of day.
    Apple says the X "Lasts up to 2 hours longer than iPhone 7" (or iPhone 8).  Remember when you compare your new phone with your existing phone, your year-old (or two-year-old) phone's battery has gradually lost run time.  So someone replacing a 7 with an 8 will experience improved battery life, even though they are about the same (if both new).
  • Reply 13 of 20
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    I have to ask:

Is AI now so desperate for ad clicks that they’re actually coming up with vacuous headlines and stories in order to provoke a reaction?

Do you chaps actually care what you write or are we now at a stage where anything goes? 

The headline should read “Apple meets with with Foxconn to talk about phones and stuff” because given the solid lack of evidence presented in the article following it (and that’s 23 seconds I won’t get back) that’s all that happened. 

edited October 2017
  • Reply 14 of 20
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    AI_lias said:
    foggyhill said:
    command_f said:

How can the iPhone X have two hours more battery life but get 1 hour less internet and video time?
  • Reply 15 of 20
    Come on guys. Get these headlines more in line with reality.
  • Reply 16 of 20
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    k2kw said:
    AI_lias said:
    foggyhill said:
    command_f said:

How can the iPhone X have two hours more battery life but get 1 hour less internet and video time?
    1) It doesn't have "1 hour less internet and video time" than the iPhone 7. Apple states that it has the same as the iPhone 7.

2) "Lasts up to 2 hours longer than iPhone 7" clearly refers to a daily average for a typical user. If all you do is watch wireless videos you'll get about the same amount, but if you're very heavy into wireless audio you'll get around 20 hours more.

• Reply 17 of 20
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    Soli said:
    k2kw said:
    AI_lias said:
    foggyhill said:
    command_f said:

1) It doesn't have "1 hour less internet and video time" than the iPhone 7. Apple states that it has the same as the iPhone 7.

2) "Lasts up to 2 hours longer than iPhone 7" clearly refers to a daily average for a typical user. If all you do is watch wireless videos you'll get about the same amount, but if you're very heavy into wireless audio you'll get around 20 hours more.

Edited.
    I meant Apple 8 Plus.

Apple 8 Plus Internet time 13 hours - Apple X internet time 12 hours = 1 hour better for the plus
    Apple 8 Plus Video time 14 hours - Apple X video time 13 hours = 1 hour better for the plus.

So the iPhone X only lasts 2 hours longer if its not really used.   Otherwise the iPhone 7Plus and 8Plus are better.

I guess people are still going to need battery cases with the new iphone X.
    edited October 2017
  • Reply 18 of 20
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,945member
    k2kw said:
    Edited.
    I meant Apple 8 Plus.

Apple 8 Plus Internet time 13 hours - Apple X internet time 12 hours = 1 hour better for the plus
    Apple 8 Plus Video time 14 hours - Apple X video time 13 hours = 1 hour better for the plus.

So the iPhone X only lasts 2 hours longer if its not really used.   Otherwise the iPhone 7Plus and 8Plus are better.

I guess people are still going to need battery cases with the new iphone X.
    Aren’t they bigger phones with bigger batteries?
  • Reply 19 of 20
    Terry Gou is the most powerful person in the Apple universe. Apple has no second source and even if it did, Terry Gou has enough influence with the Chinese government (not to mention Wisconsin) to nullify US agreements, change global trade policies and modify operating licenses and permits to even take manufacturing capacity away from Apple anytime he thinks that's in his best interest. There is a lot of cow milking he can do before going off fully too. The (temporary) iPhone 8 flop is probably not a big issue, but combined with an iPhone X flop...
  • Reply 20 of 20
    mrboba1mrboba1 Posts: 276member
    I'm sure... no... POSITIVE that they have never met before on issues relating to production of ANY of their products, especially new ones. Meetings to discuss how things could work better never happen. No one does this. Trust me.
    do I really need this: /s