Michigan Ave. Apple Store Job Postings

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
What's up with this? Now Macnn is posting pictures of Apple demolishing the store. I thought it was scheduled to open in Fall 2002? Guess not now. Anyone know if Apple still has a lease for the building? Seems kind of strange to tear down such a great building. It looked very "Apple."

<a href="http://ddahl.com/AppleStore/"; target="_blank">http://ddahl.com/AppleStore/</a>;

Philip

Edit: I just looked at Apple's Job site and they now have job openings for the store. They just went up.

<a href="https://jobs.apple.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/Employment.woa/34/wo/zJ2DbsEdrxH43rimjtI2wXhWwPL/5.2.22.9.2.0.0.3"; target="_blank">https://jobs.apple.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/Employment.woa/34/wo/zJ2DbsEdrxH43rimjtI2wXhWwPL/5.2.22.9.2.0.0.3</a>;

[ 11-20-2002: Message edited by: iDude ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    weird part is there are now two apple stores in MN. go figure.
  • Reply 2 of 19
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Apple probably isn't ordering the demolition. If the property wasn't going to be used, they would have gotten out of their lease (if they had one). If the building were unusable or condemned, they would have gotten out of their lease, and the developer would be the one doing the demolishing. If Apple wanted a new building in that spot, they would have the developer do the demo too. In any scenario, the developer would be doing this scale of demo/construction, not Apple.
  • Reply 3 of 19
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    As far as I know apple never signed on that spot. That place has been empty for months and months. It was a good retail location. The owner must have other plans for it.

Man I go by that place all the time and I didn't even notice it was coming down. They must have moved fast. If Pepper is doing the construction I may be able to find out what's going on.
  • Reply 4 of 19
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    [quote]Originally posted by Scott:

<strong>As far as I know apple never signed on that spot. That place has been empty for months and months. It was a good retail location. The owner must have other plans for it.

Man I go by that place all the time and I didn't even notice it was coming down. They must have moved fast. If Pepper is doing the construction I may be able to find out what's going on.</strong><hr></blockquote>

As far as I know it was officially Apple. They might not have owned the building, but their name was on the building permit.
  • Reply 5 of 19
    [quote]Originally posted by bunge:

<strong>

As far as I know it was officially Apple. They might not have owned the building, but their name was on the building permit.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Seems odd to me that Apple would put so much money into that space? It wasn't bad to begin with. It's a lot of work, money and wasted time just to have place to sell computers out of. Maybe they have bigger plans then just a plain old Apple Store?
  • Reply 6 of 19
    idudeidude Posts: 352member
    I just looked on Apple's site and now they have job listings for a Michigan Ave Store. Anyone know if the location is the same as the building being demolished?
  • Reply 7 of 19
    It's got to be. There's plenty of solid info that Apple looked at and signed on that spot.

Plus there was an Apple sticker on the door at one point in time. Can you say "CONFIRMED!".

I still think it's very odd that Apple's going to so much trouble for a place to sell computers out of. From the demo pics above it looks like the facade and support structure are staying. But to what end?
  • Reply 8 of 19
    Perhaps they're rebuilding it because its going to be one of the super-stores? Seems like those need significant reconstruction.
  • Reply 9 of 19
    Super store? In that case it doesn't seem big enough :confused:

It's kind of a shame because the CompUSA down the street and around the corner is not a bad Mac shop. For a CompUSA that is.
  • Reply 10 of 19
    Yesterday, after I read this, I went by to check it out and there was no info on the building. Today, I went by and there was the four foot apple on the scaffolding. I have to say I am pretty psyched, I was also at CompUSA yesterday it is just not the same.
  • Reply 11 of 19
    Maybe I'll drop by this weekend. Take some pics.

Now normally I'd send them to MacNN but now that MacNN does now own AI ...
  • Reply 12 of 19
    [quote]Originally posted by aseedling:

<strong>Yesterday, after I read this, I went by to check it out and there was no info on the building. Today, I went by and there was the four foot apple on the scaffolding. I have to say I am pretty psyched, I was also at CompUSA yesterday it is just not the same.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Awesome. We've all been waiting for this store for a year and a half, and it's great to see it getting under way, even if it's still a long way from completion.
  • Reply 13 of 19
    I saw it tonight and it was :cool:

In fact some workers were putting the finishing touches on the plywood that's covering the scaffolding. It has an Apple and "www.apple.com".

Construction in Chicago can go fast. They could be ready by summer. My wife, an architect, says the demo permit most likely held them up. Why? She doesn't know. The city is also touchy about the mag mile. But they let that ****ing disney store there so wtf?

Like I said when this news was rumored. This is the perfect Chicago location. They ****ing bus people in from the "tri" state area to shop here. It's shoulder to shoulder thanksgiving to new years and busy every weekend. Apple spent a lot of $$$ on this place.
  • Reply 14 of 19
    On a related note, is anyone going to the Oakbrook opening tomorrow night? Also, does anyone know if the mall is outdoor or not? The website says it is outdoor, but a close friend swears it is indoor. Thanks.
  • Reply 15 of 19
    If that's the one I went to then it's indoor. Rather crappy mall too IMO. One of those place where you have to walk up and down and left and right just to go straight.
  • Reply 16 of 19
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    [quote]Originally posted by Scott:

<strong>If that's the one I went to then it's indoor. Rather crappy mall too IMO. One of those place where you have to walk up and down and left and right just to go straight. </strong><hr></blockquote>

It is an outdoor mall, and the Apple Store is a smaller space than the Woodfield store. Like Woodfield, it's a higher end mall with lots of dollars nearby.
  • Reply 17 of 19
    Scott,

You're too f***ing f***y,
  • Reply 18 of 19
    Yes, it is an outdoor mall. Kind of cold to be sitting outside for 2 hours (although nothing compared to the first person in line who arrived at 7:00 am), but worth it. There were almost 1500 people there, according to a security guard. The staff seemed more enthusiastic than the others I've been to. They were outside chanting and cheering people on. If you didn't go, you missed something.

Here are my pictures.

<a href="http://homepage.mac.com/pkatt/PhotoAlbum15.html"; target="_blank">http://homepage.mac.com/pkatt/PhotoAlbum15.html</a>;

Philip
  • Reply 19 of 19
    i was at the oakbrook opening as well, and i didn't know it was outside! i was only wearing a sweater and the temps plunged after 6p.m.

when i got in i tried to buy something but they were having some sort of trouble with cash/wrap and the line wasn't moving. it is much smaller than woodfield, but i always felt woodfield was a bit large for what they have in the store, but i've only been there at slow times.

as for the mag/mile spot, if it's not a superstore than apple is really wasting their time going there.

if they were going to do a regular store, i'd think they'd do something on state street.