Apple's iPhone X goes up for preorder online [update: launch units sold out]

Posted:
in iPhone edited October 2017
As scheduled, Apple took iPhone X preorders live on Friday shortly after 12:01 a.m. Pacific, through the dedicated Apple Store app for iOS and the Apple.com online storefront.

Apple's app was first to gain access to preorders, followed by Apple.com, after a brief delay, while carrier sites followed. This year's preorder rollout appears to be moving much more smoothly than past product launches, though initial stock is already showing signs of depletion.

Today's iPhone X sales debut comes after last month's iPhone 8 and 8 Plus release. Variants of the outgoing iPhone 7, the iPhone 8 and 8 Plus come with incremental upgrades like faster internal components and updated camera. The exterior design was also altered to incorporate a glass back for wireless charging.

Unlike iPhone 8, iPhone X is only available in silver and space gray finishes with 64GB or 256GB of onboard storage. Prices start at $999 for the 64GB version and $1,499 for the higher capacity 256GB model.

In addition to the handset, Apple introduced new leather and silicon cases for the full-screen smartphone, as well as an iPhone X Leather Folio that sells for $99. Like iPad Smart Covers, the Folio case interacts with a Hall sensor embedded in iPhone's power button to sleep or wake the device's screen.

Apple is launching iPhone X in 57 regions including Andorra, Australia, Austria, Bahrain, Belgium, Bulgaria, Canada, China, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Greenland, Guernsey, Hong Kong, Hungary, Iceland, India, Ireland, Isle of Man, Italy, Japan, Jersey, Kuwait, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Mexico, Monaco, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Puerto Rico, Qatar, Romania, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, UAE, the UK, the U.S. and U.S. Virgin Islands.

For more on iPhone X, check out AppleInsider's hands-on with the device.

Update: Apple exhausted its initial supply of iPhone X units in about ten minutes. Current shipping estimates as of 12:11 a.m. Pacific are pegged at two to three weeks for all models.

Update 2: Apple is performing carrier checks for certain unlocked iPhone X models.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 113
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    256G Space Grey arriving on Nov 3.  Hellsyeah!  $1459.21 for a phone.....
    iqatedodoozydozenargonautRacerhomieXwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 113
    focherfocher Posts: 687member
    I was pretty quick as I had the phones already in my Favorites then used Apple Pay, but still got a "Nov 10 - Nov 17th" estimated delivery on two 64GB, one Space Grey and one Black.
    RacerhomieXwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 113
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    Verizon was up at around 11:50pm. I was able to get a Space Grey 256GB arriving on November 3. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 113
    kenokeno Posts: 5member
    that was BS.  The app wouldn't let me log in and I got a forever away ship date.  And, it wouldn't let me choose a local Apple Store to get it there instead.  fudge.
  • Reply 5 of 113
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,520member
    Not sold out for instore pickups, at least here in the UK
  • Reply 7 of 113
    jdgazjdgaz Posts: 403member
    Verizon was up at around 11:50pm. I was able to get a Space Grey 256GB arriving on November 3. 
    Darn, I waited till 12:00 to try. Online said I got Nov 3, but must wait for email to confirm. 16 minutes in and no email yet. Going to bed.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 113
    I couldn't even get into the Apple app or online storefront till almost 15 min after midnight...so I figured it was happening to everyone. Nov 17-24 for me. :/ oh well.
    JFC_PAwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 113
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    jdgaz said:
    Darn, I waited till 12:00 to try. Online said I got Nov 3, but must wait for email to confirm. 16 minutes in and no email yet. Going to bed.

I got my email confirmation a few minutes after I ordered. I'm sure at midnight, Verizon was swamped. You will get your confirmation email eventually. 
    edited October 2017 JFC_PAcaliRacerhomieXwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 113
    Nov 3. only via store pickup and the app was up at 3:05ET.
    My saved setup got removed so I had to go through the entire process again, it was nerve wrecking!! :D
    cali
  • Reply 11 of 113
    bshankbshank Posts: 255member
    focher said:
    I was pretty quick as I had the phones already in my Favorites then used Apple Pay, but still got a "Nov 10 - Nov 17th" estimated delivery on two 64GB, one Space Grey and one Black.
    focher said:
    Same 😞
  • Reply 12 of 113
    256G Space Grey arriving on Nov 3.  Hellsyeah!  $1459.21 for a phone.....
    27% sales tax??
  • Reply 13 of 113
    64gb in white ordered through Verizon coming my way on nov 3rd.
    verizion pre-order was up 5 mins before launch time📱. Here on the east coast.
    sycamoregradeim23x
  • Reply 14 of 113
    Didn’t get in until 1212 with app, couple of errors I think it said nov 17 - to something but no confirmation email yet hopefully by morning I’ll have it. Crossing fingers . It will be interesting to see how well the kit to send back my iPhone 7 goes , hopefully smoothly . 
  • Reply 15 of 113
    Same here! I saw that the Verizon site was up as soon as I got up at 2:50 AM and placed the order in less than a minute.
    sycamoregradcali
  • Reply 16 of 113
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,301member
    I got a registration number with Apple needing to contact my carrier. They reserved an iPhone for me, but I'll be getting an email from them telling me how to complete my order and return the link, which I have to do within 24 hours of receiving their email. Then I should be set for delivery on 11/3.
    edited October 2017 sycamoregradpscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 113
    JFC_PAJFC_PA Posts: 932member
    Nov 17-23 for shipping though my local Apple store would have been Nov 3: but I prefer to do my full setup before turning in my old one. 
    sycamoregrad
  • Reply 18 of 113
    Apple store app didn’t work until 12:16. Did the favorites thing and saw shipping was already 2-3 weeks, but local pickup was available. Of course Cerizon couldn’t confirm my account so apple has my spot reserved... but I have zero faith I’ll be picking one up next week. 😞
    sycamoregrad
  • Reply 19 of 113
    I got in real fast and got Nov 3 but my wife had a longer delay with her phone and she has a Nov 17-24. I don’t know why my wife’s phone was delayed in accessing the Apple Store. 
    sycamoregrad
  • Reply 20 of 113
    Just ticks me off, said “they couldn’t process my card, try again later”.  Couldn’t get through at 3:01 at the Apple Store App, tried the web site which gave me the said result mentioned.  Just ticks me off.  Guess I’ll get the “X” next year.
    ciamrmj2u