YouTube TV coming to Apple TV within matter of weeks

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
Cord-cutting option YouTube TV will finally a get a native Apple TV app within "coming weeks," a report said on Monday.

YouTube TV was originally conceived as a "mobile-first" service, but YouTube gradually came to realize that a lot of people preferred watching in their living room through Google Cast, product management director Christian Oestlien told The Verge. Apart from the Apple TV, other platforms slated to get native support in the next few weeks include Roku devices and smart TVs by Sony, Samsung, and LG.

For a long time, YouTube TV was only directly accessible on iPhones, iPads, desktops, and Android phones and tablets. People who wanted to watch on a full-sized TV had to make use of a Chromecast, or push to an Apple TV through AirPlay.

New today are Android TV and Xbox One apps. There are no plans to bring the service to Amazon devices, reflecting the same rift with Google that resulted in YouTube vanishing from the Echo Show.

Apple TV 4K owners likely won't be able to watch in 4K resolution, since that option isn't available to other YouTube TV customers or in the main tvOS YouTube app.

YouTube TV is currently online in 50 U.S. markets. It features an unlimited cloud DVR and over 40 channels, but the lack of deals with Turner and Viacom means that channels like CNN, Cartoon Network, Comedy Central, and Nickelodeon are missing.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    Forget that, where's my Amazon app for Apple TV?
    calizroger73maciekskontaktllamaStrangeDaysMacPro
  • Reply 2 of 14
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    hmlongco said:
    Where’s my Apple TV service too??
    patchythepirate
  • Reply 3 of 14
    I just wish they would update the regular YouTube App for the Apple TV. I pay for YouTube Red, so feel somewhat entitled. I have no remaining inputs for a Chromecast and don't want one anyway. I am stuck with my Samsung TV's crappy YouTube app for 4K and other current features.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    hmlongco said:
    Agree, agree, agree! Tired of using the crappy interface on my Sony DVD player for Amazon.
    zroger73cali
  • Reply 5 of 14
    Bueller?... Bueller?... Bueller?

Amazon?... Amazon?... Amazon?
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 6 of 14
    yoyo2222 said:
    hmlongco said:
    Agree, agree, agree! Tired of using the crappy interface on my Sony DVD player for Amazon.
    Who would have thought Vudu and Movies Anywhere would be here before Amazon?

Hell froze over and Amazon still hasn’t turned in their app. 
  • Reply 7 of 14
    Wow! Finally, I can watch Formula One (NBC Sports) on my AppleTV.

Unlimited DVR. I will be signing up at the beginning of next season in March. 

I have not had cable television for 13 years now. I do have a subscription to HBONow, ($15/mo) to watch RealTime (I cancel it every time Bill Maher goes on vacation). I also, subscribe to CNN's Fareed Zakaria's GPS, probably the best show on television.

I will also switch in a heartbeat when Apple offers similar service! :)
    edited October 2017
  • Reply 8 of 14
    I have cycled through DTVN, HULU, Sling and YouTube TV over the last year and found them all wanting. YouTube TV does not offer HBO at all. I really do not care about local (network affiliate) channels and want a true a la carte option- no, Sling is not a la carte.

What I would like are pick 10 channels from this list for X Dollars and 20 for X, etc. Not pre-configured bundles forcing us to subsidize stuff we do not want.

SnickersMagoo
  • Reply 9 of 14
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,876member
    cali said:
    hmlongco said:
    No such service has been announced, unlike the Amazon app, which was announced last summer. Considering they already have a player app on iOS it’s just shameful. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 14
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    cali said:
    hmlongco said:
    No such service has been announced, unlike the Amazon app, which was announced last summer. Considering they already have a player app on iOS it’s just shameful. 
    I don't get what the hold up is. Tim Cook said the app would be available in 2017 so we'll see. Only a few more months left in the year. 
  • Reply 11 of 14
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Seriously...I don't care.
    mike54watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 14
    cali said:
    hmlongco said:
    I know but I want Apple to step up to the plate. 
  • Reply 13 of 14
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    hmlongco said:
    My thoughts exactly.