Some GPS-only Apple Watch Series 3 units showing unusual display stripes

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited October 2017
Some owners of the GPS-only version of the Apple Watch Series 3 are discovering unexpected stripes along the edge of the display, visible when it's shut off, reports said on Tuesday.

Image Credit: 9to5Mac
Image Credit: 9to5Mac

Apple has informed store staff and authorized repair outfits about the issue, according to 9to5Mac. To check for stripes, the company is asking customers to rub a finger along the display while it's off "to allow smearing to appear." Failing that, people may have to breathe on the screen.

Rather than conduct repairs, the company is said to be simply replacing defective Watches entirely, mailing old units in.

At least some Series 3 GPS owners are unaffected, and indeed in AppleInsider's own checks with Genius Bars, there's been no coincidental increase in service incidents. The company is, however, said to be collecting data for engineering.

The GPS version of the Series 3 is a cheaper alternative for people who don't need or want LTE. Prices start at $329, including Nike+ variants, whereas adding LTE hikes the cost to $399 before any upgrades or monthly data plans.

Since the Series 3 line was launched just last month, all owners should be covered by the product's default one-year warranty.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    Hope it's not a issue as I plan to upgrade my Original Apple Watch soon.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    Interesting that they are simply replacing the whole watch.
    When the haptic engine failed in my watch the Genius Bar tech said he had to send it out to a facility where the problem could be diagnosed and repaired.   But, a few days later a whole new watch appeared on my doorstep (well, actually a refurbished "whole new watch").

As Apple heads into soldered & integrated everything, is the Apple Watch leading the way towards being throw away, disposable gadgets?   "Use it till it breaks, trash it and buy another one".

• Reply 3 of 6
    As Apple heads into soldered & integrated everything, is the Apple Watch leading the way towards being throw away, disposable gadgets?   "Use it till it breaks, trash it and buy another one".

Everything is a compromise. If you want a device that will last a very long time and can be repaired easily, expect it to be 75% bulkier with reduced water resistance and a shorter run-time (due to a smaller battery that is removable, but makes room for the replaceable CPU and other internal bits). On the other hand, if you want a device that is extraordinarily small, lightweight, waterproof, and pretty, it's also going to be hard to repair.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,421member
    When the haptic engine failed in my watch the Genius Bar tech said he had to send it out to a facility where the problem could be diagnosed and repaired.   But, a few days later a whole new watch appeared on my doorstep (well, actually a refurbished "whole new watch").

Sometimes it makes more sense to soldier everything if it offers better durability and reliability. It tends to also improve battery and reduce footprint since fewer screws are needed. But the disposal method remains an issue. People need to hold themselves accountable for disposing them. We should impose a disposal fee where they can dispose their electronic products and get their money back. Like we do with recyclable containers where you get your money back when you recycle.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    netrox said:

Sometimes it makes more sense to soldier everything if it offers better durability and reliability. It tends to also improve battery and reduce footprint since fewer screws are needed. But the disposal method remains an issue. People need to hold themselves accountable for disposing them. We should impose a disposal fee where they can dispose their electronic products and get their money back. Like we do with recyclable containers where you get your money back when you recycle.
    Oh, don't get me wrong:  I wasn't complaining.  With a device as small as a 38mm watch with all that is packed into it and that is also out in the weather and therefor requires effective dust and water seals, a single completely sealed, non-repairable unit may be the only feasible design.
    ...  I was merely noting the fact that the AW may have very limited repair options -- and that we may be seeing more of that kind of design in future products ...  

But too:  this perhaps makes AppleCare+ (which is pretty reasonable for the watch) even more important for the watch than it is for the iPhone X (which AI just wrote about).
  • Reply 6 of 6
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member
    ZOMFG! Slight discolouration on the screen when it’s off but not visible when in use! That’s going to be terrible for all of those people who stare at an off watch.