How to configure Safari in High Sierra to use Google Hangouts

Posted:
in Mac Software edited October 2020
If you need to appear in a Google Hangout for whatever the reason, you may have noticed that the instructions on how to get the audio and video plugin to function in High Sierra's version of Safari are wrong. Here's how to make it work.

The first, and only, thing Google got right in the entire procedure is to download the plugin installer, and run it. The plugin installer runs without complaint, and will ask for your user credentials to install.

However, just installing the plugin isn't enough, and Google's suggestions about simply allowing the plugin to execute aren't complete. Until you tell Safari to allow the browser to use the camera and microphone, it won't even pop up the dialog box to ask if you want to use them or not.

In the Safari menu, choose Preferences. Then Select Websites, and click on Camera.

Toggle the Configured Websites for the Camera to Allow

Repeat the process for Microphone.

And, you're still not done if you have a USB microphone, camera, or headset. Click on the gear icon on the top of the open browser window. Select from the pull-down which option you want -- as it defaults to the internal microphone and speakers, regardless of your system setting.

GRaeVry

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    thank you.. excellent!
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Why not just use chrome?
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    sergioz said:
    Why not just use chrome?
    Because it is is a power and resource-sucking hog on macOS.
    revenantGRaeVry
  • Reply 4 of 7
    sergioz said:
    Why not just use chrome?
    why use hangouts?
    aegeanwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 5 of 7
    aegeanaegean Posts: 164member
    revenant said:
    sergioz said:
    Why not just use chrome?
    why use hangouts?
    +1
    watto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Thank you! That was so helpful! I was using Google Hangout to try to chat with some friends back home - and you can't do it with FaceTime (lame) and Skype can be a pain, so we were trying this. But as of late, I really can't use Chrome on my Mac anymore. It sucks memory and causes my computer to melt hysterically. Can't work like that. So I wanted to use G Hangouts on Safari but the instructions.are.not.correct. A little frustrating because I was trying to catch my friends with a 5+ time difference, so not a lot of time to chat. Couldn't futz with settings myself in that time - but glad I found this article. Thanks again, this worked for me. 
  • Reply 7 of 7
    revenant said:
    sergioz said:
    Why not just use chrome?
    why use hangouts?
    True. Interface is scratchy and that video toggle is the worse. But what's better though?