Got an iPhone X? Here are the tips and techniques you should know to get started

Posted:
in iPhone edited October 2020
The user interface in the iPhone X is slightly different than that in older non-OLED iPhones. AppleInsider has been using the phone for the better part of a week -- and here are some tips to help you quickly adjust to your new device.

First of all, the Face ID process needs to be set up. All the authentication feature needs is two quick facial scans to build the mathematical model, then it's time to go!

The first thing people seem to take a look at after the phone is ready to use is Animoji. While polarizing for AppleInsider readers, the feature is probably not driving sales today -- but it will in the future.

Because of the new design, summoning the Control Center and Notification Center takes a little getting used to as well. The new invocation gestures take advantage of the "ears" next to the notch as a navigational aide.

While once stricken from iOS 11, Reachability has returned -- and there is a new way to utilize that feature as well.

Wireless charging based on Qi is new to the 2017 iPhone line -- and so is fast charging. While not complicated, sometimes a brief discussion about how to best utilize a new feature is good.

One more thing -- while we're sure that videos abusing the iPhone X will proliferate on YouTube soon, the bottom line is that we don't currently know how fragile the device is compared to previous generations. Pick up a case for it, even on the cheap, and you won't be sorry.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    Not sure if this will be an issue for many, but I just discovered that iPhone X will only work with iTunes 12.7.  It will not work with 12.6, which for me really stinks because I like the ability to manage my apps in iTunes. I refused to update to 12.7 but now that I've got an iPhone X I guess I may as well upgrade now. :neutral:   rme
    rich gregoryAvieshek
  • Reply 2 of 8
    I've had my iphone X all day and am mostly ok with it.  A couple problems I have which I haven't heard anything about before is the fact that you can't increase the size of the icons like you can on the 7 and 8 series by using DISPLAY ZOOM.  That function is not even listed at the bottom of the Display and Brightness settings page.  The other thing I'm disappointed in is that the display is substantially smaller than the 7 or 8 plus.  Yes, it's taller, but much more narrow.  I do like the fact that the overall form factor is smaller, but Apple advertised the screen being larger.  It's only larger diagonally. 
    My phone set up quick and easy but even though I selected a back up from my other phone via iCloud, NONE of my apps were installed and only about half of my settings were the same. 
  • Reply 3 of 8
    JFC_PAJFC_PA Posts: 932member
    “Smaller” doesn’t seem to be supported by the display specs. The math of the resolution in pixels vs the ppi yield an area actually slightly larger for the X v the 8 Plus. 13.06 v 12.87. I’m on Amtrak doing this on my iPhone (7 Plus) so maybe I missed???

“X
    • 2436-by-1125-pixel resolution at 458 ppi
    8 Plus
    • 1920-by-1080-pixel resolution at 401 ppi
    So here’s the inches. 

X

8 Plus

Guess I’ll see for myself in a few days  

Fwiw My iCloud backups never held apps, one reason I switched back to iTunes for transfers alongside that the encrypted backups retain all my passwords etc. and got mine delivered at home so I could do a complete setup versus the partial I’d walk home from previously from the store. Though the NFC transfer using iOS 11 looked like it could do a complete transfer direct from phone to phone. ???
    edited November 2017
  • Reply 4 of 8
    ronbo747 said:
    I've had my iphone X all day and am mostly ok with it.  A couple problems I have which I haven't heard anything about before is the fact that you can't increase the size of the icons like you can on the 7 and 8 series by using DISPLAY ZOOM.  That function is not even listed at the bottom of the Display and Brightness settings page.  The other thing I'm disappointed in is that the display is substantially smaller than the 7 or 8 plus.  Yes, it's taller, but much more narrow.  I do like the fact that the overall form factor is smaller, but Apple advertised the screen being larger.  It's only larger diagonally. 
    My phone set up quick and easy but even though I selected a back up from my other phone via iCloud, NONE of my apps were installed and only about half of my settings were the same. 
    It’s actually surprisingly large for the phones footprint. Did you hold up your X next to your 7+?  The screen is maybe a hair more than 1/4 narrower than the 7+ yet it’s about an inch taller. Given how much smaller the phone’s body is compared to the 8 I’m really liking the size. What I’m not sold on is the screen quality though. Serious issues with off angle color shifting. Whites turn a noticeable blue when rotating the screen just a couple degrees off center. Also True Tone is horrible on this phone. Turns everyone to a yellowish hue. Way worse than my iPad Pro’s True Tone quality. I’m not sure I’m going to keep the phone because of this. Got 13 days left to decide. 
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Tip #1. Get yourself a wireless charger, for yourself, when sitting on your couch. THIS AIN'T NO iPhone Plus... :P
  • Reply 6 of 8
    ronbo747 said:
    Agreed. The display is technically bigger but seems smaller. And even though its longer, it doesn't fit an extra row of app icons on the screen. There's just a gap of extra not-quite-big-enough space. OLED does not seem significantly brighter in daylight which was a selling point for me. Content falls off the curved corners of the display. Face ID is a nuisance compared to touch ID. Double clicking the side button is a nuisance in the app store. Touching on either side of the notch requires two handed operation unless you turn on reachability and even then, the difference between invoking reachability and the notification center requires too much precision for a human thumb.

• Reply 7 of 8
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,337member
    rezwits said:
    Tip #1. Get yourself a wireless charger, for yourself, when sitting on your couch. THIS AIN'T NO iPhone Plus... :P
    What ?  iPhone 8/8Plus charges wirelessly as well. I am not sure if that’s what you were getting at ? I use a wireless charger with my 8 Plus and it works quite well. 
  • Reply 8 of 8
    THIS AIN'T NO iPhone Plus... :P
    jcs2305 said:
    rezwits said:
    What ?  iPhone 8/8Plus charges wirelessly as well. I am not sure if that’s what you were getting at ? I use a wireless charger with my 8 Plus and it works quite well. 
    What I am getting at is: when I initially got my iPhone 6 Plus, for the 1st 2 years I never got below 90%, battery. Most of the days I always ended the night at 95% (about 300 out of 365). This thing (iPhone X), kinda get's down to the 80's and mid 70's pretty quick (in Battery %)... It's the only thing I am bummed about in my switch from PLUS to X...