Apple Watch gets special Veterans Day activity challenge

Posted:
in Apple Watch
Apple on Friday announced a new activity challenge for Apple Watch owners, meant to commemorate Veterans Day on Nov. 11.

People who log a workout of at least 11 minutes on Saturday will receive a special Veterans Day badge, as well as a sticker in the iOS Messages app, Apple said. The challenge is also being integrated into "Workout for Warriors" events by Team Red, White & Blue, a group that tries to improve veterans' lives through social and physical activities.

The Apple Watch has a number of Xbox-style achievements for its Activity app. Typically these concentrate on things like perfect streaks or new personal records, though Apple will occasionally offer special ones such as "Ring in the New Year." People sharing their activity with each other get alerts when someone completes a challenge.

The number of Watch owners is believed to be on the rise. Last week Apple claimed that sales were up 50 percent quarter-over-quarter, and that the product is the world's best-selling wearable.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,631member
    This challenge might be something for people are are very inactive, but to me, someone who walks 10 miles per day and works out 3 days a week, it's a joke.  
  • Reply 2 of 18
    eriamjh said:
    This challenge might be something for people are are very inactive, but to me, someone who walks 10 miles per day and works out 3 days a week, it's a joke.  
    Oh jesus. 10 miles a day...sorry but you’re an outlier and claiming this is a joke is itself a joke. 
    randominternetpersonmacxpresspatchythepiratewatto_cobramacgui
  • Reply 3 of 18
    wigbywigby Posts: 692member
    eriamjh said:
    All of these challenges are designed for people who exercise infrequently and general fitness education. Otherwise, they would be too busy exercising to care about getting a badge. I do exercise regularly in a gym but even I can use some encouragement like this from time to time.
    edited November 2017 randominternetpersonpatchythepiratewatto_cobrailondonerGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 4 of 18
    I don’t wish to be rude but is this only in America or will this be forced on those of us outside America as well?
  • Reply 5 of 18
    Hm...I ran 5 miles this morning and didn't earn the badge :(  Tracked it on my Apple Watch and my activity ring shows it.  Hopefully I get the reward by the end of the day or I'm going to start a class action lawsuit against AAPL >:)
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 18
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,056member
    I don’t wish to be rude but is this only in America or will this be forced on those of us outside America as well?
    Do you mean the Apple Watch badge, or the military? Either way, it probably depends.
  • Reply 7 of 18
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member
    eriamjh said:
    Oh, please. How thin is the air up there on your horse?
    watto_cobrawreighvenrandominternetperson
  • Reply 8 of 18
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member
    rattlhed said:
    Hm...I ran 5 miles this morning and didn't earn the badge :(  Tracked it on my Apple Watch and my activity ring shows it.  Hopefully I get the reward by the end of the day or I'm going to start a class action lawsuit against AAPL >:)
    You probably just finished in less than 11 minutes.  ;)

Edit: Article says it's for Saturday.
    edited November 2017
  • Reply 9 of 18
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,332member
    It is kind of good thing that Apple is throwing up something to remind the general population that November 11th is something more than just another day and not just a special sales day to look for bargains on mattresses and new cars.  If nothing else, this Apple Watch challenge should make you think for a minute or two about the fact that only 7.3% of Americans alive today have actively served to protect the freedoms of 100% of all Americans. Whether this is going to fulfill your workout regimen or meet your cardio goals is far less important than simply reminding Americans that we all owe so much to so few. Thank you Apple.
    watto_cobraGG1wreighvenrandominternetperson
  • Reply 10 of 18
    wigby said:
    eriamjh said:
    All of these challenges are designed for people who exercise infrequently and general fitness education. Otherwise, they would be too busy exercising to care about getting a badge. I do exercise regularly in a gym but even I can use some encouragement like this from time to time.
    Incorrect. Apple first marketed the watch with a very fit Christy turlington runnng marathons. 

So its being marketed not only to those who are in need of help, but to those who excel and wish to go even further. 
  • Reply 11 of 18
    I'm recovering from an arthroscopy on my knee so I need all the encouragement I can get.  I just finished 120 step ups on each leg with elapsed time of 16 minutes.  No badge.  :neutral: 

But then I'm British currently in Spain. 

Today is our national remembrance day as well and it would have been cool to have a UK version of the badge.  How much coding would that have involved?
  • Reply 12 of 18
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,350member
    eriamjh said:
    I know some Vets who'll be doing this challenge from the VA hospital. It's not all that easy for some of them, and they don't think it's a joke. Fk off.
  • Reply 13 of 18
    So far, they've only been offered for the US.

9secondkox2 said:
    Incorrect. Apple first marketed the watch with a very fit Christy turlington runnng marathons. 

Incorrect. I saw the announcement and Ms. Turlington said nothing about these Apple Activity Special Challenges. Maybe because they weren't available then. There are other regular and Monthly Challenges unique to the wearer based on information entered in their Health app and level of activity over the previous week. These can be very challenging.

The Watches are marketed to a wide variety of users.
    randominternetperson
  • Reply 14 of 18
    eriamjh said:
    I agree...
    While I don't do 10 miles a day, I do serious exercise 6 or 7 days a week and plan it out pretty carefully.  I am not about to modify my routine because somebody issued me a "challenge".   Is that like a "Double Dare"?   Besides, I already have many dozens of Apple Badges that I already pretty much ignore.

But, that said, if it gets just one fat, lazy American off the couch and out to get some exercise, it was worth it.  We just can't afford the trillions of dollars of health care spending devoted to treating their chronic diseases.
  • Reply 15 of 18
    Yes, you must join one of the branches of the US armed services or your Watch will stop functioning.
  • Reply 16 of 18
    I closed out my exercise ring by walking 4 Miles (2 2-mile walks to the movie theater, both saved in my workouts) yesterday (11/11) and no Veterans Day badge. I also did not get my first indoor swim badge on Friday (11/10).....something must be buggy with the latest watch os update.
  • Reply 17 of 18
    eriamjh said:
    I agree...
    While I don't do 10 miles a day, I do serious exercise 6 or 7 days a week and plan it out pretty carefully.  I am not about to modify my routine because somebody issued me a "challenge".   Is that like a "Double Dare"?   Besides, I already have many dozens of Apple Badges that I already pretty much ignore.

But, that said, if it gets just one fat, lazy American off the couch and out to get some exercise, it was worth it.  We just can't afford the trillions of dollars of health care spending devoted to treating their chronic diseases.
     Another holier than thou A/H. That said, if the thin air atop your high horse hadn't affected your cognitive function, you'd have realized that you very likely didn't need to alter your carefully crafted workout at all. You probably have one more achievement that you can proudly ignore. Unless maybe you're a liar.  
  • Reply 18 of 18
    My Veterans Day badge was finally issued yesterday at 5:30pm (along with my first indoor swim badge). I wonder if it was a sent in a bug report to Apple (on Sunday) or not.....