Should I buy Dual G4/867 plus....

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I work at a Bay Area Medical School, and I just discovered the current deals at the campus computer store. My office computer is Beige G3/266 MHz/4 Gig HD/192 MB RAM/RagePro video (2 MB!) with Sony 17 in monitor. This computer doesn't owe me anything more, and it's groaning under the workload (Molecular BioIogy-type work). I had been thinking of waiting until after the first of the year to buy an iMac Flat Panel 17 inch with whatever the processor is then. I've been happy with my iMac 15inch FP that I bought in March. However, I am tempted by the following current Pre-Holiday Sales:

G4-867 MHz plus Apple17 inchch Flat Panel for $1599

(M8688LL/A plus M7649ZM/A)

or

Dual G4-867 MHz plus Apple 17 in Flat Panel for $1799

(M8787LL/A plus M7649ZM/A)

or

Dual G4-1 GHz plus Apple 22 inch Flat Panel for $3948

(M8689LL/A plus M8058ZM/A)

I am certainly surprised at these deals, so much so I called them to verify that the ad in the student newspaper was correct.

So, the question I'm facing is whether an updated iMac in January could possibly be better than, for example, the dual 867 deal detailed above.

I think if I pass this up, my friends would for once be justified in lobbying for an examination of my head.

Comments?

Wanderer

[ 11-22-2002: Message edited by: Wanderer ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    If you get a tower with dual processors AND a flat screen for 1600 dollars... why do you even doubt? I mean, some would go iMac for its looks or something. I've never been into that, at least not to have on my desk. But this deal is faster than an Imac, more expandable, and has a screen which will last you longer than the tower (maybe at least) and which you will be able to use with another comp if it so happens. Not to mention the fact that both G4 towers and apple flat screen are DEAD SEXY!

My god, I wish somebody'd over me deals like this now and then...
  • Reply 2 of 3
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    Where are you getting those deals from?
  • Reply 3 of 3
    These deals are at the Stanford Bookstore (which is not part of Stanford University, but is the authorized Apple dealer on the Stanford campus). Their website is not always up-to-date, which is why I had to call them to verify the deals.

I have noticed a pattern. Obviously, when a revised or new CPU is introduced, the prices are identical to the prices on the Apple Education Store (institutional). Eventually the types of deals available at the campus store and the on-line Apple store for Education start to diverge.

For example, in early August, they were locally selling the 667 MHz TiBook for $1999, while on-line it was going for approximately $2149. They also were selling a bundle of 667 TiBook/Applecare/free airport card (not installed) for $2199. I picked one of these bundles up for my fiance who was about to start law school. Interestingly, these bundles became available in early July, also with the disclaimer "While supplies last!", at a time when the forums and rumor sites were hunting for clues of new powerbooks. BTW, on close-out now, they have 667 MHz TiBooks for $1699, or with Applecare for $1899.

Based on the above, it's fun to speculate that they (either the campus computer store specifically, or Apple in general) have excess dual 867 MHz G4s, mid-size and large-size flat panel displays.

Requirements for buying at the campus store are an up-to-date campus ID, plus a limit of one desktop and one laptop per academic year.