Apple working 24/7 to finish downtown Brooklyn store as giant glass pane shatters

Posted:
in General Discussion edited November 2017
Crews are working around the clock to put the finishing touches on the first Apple store in downtown Brooklyn, but they recently suffered a setback -- a massive pane of glass has shattered.

Apple's anticipated store at 300 Ashland Place. Photos courtesy of Steve Giralt.

It's unknown exactly when the store will open -- Apple itself hasn't even confirmed that it is, in fact, an Apple store, though a quite obvious company logo adorns the storefront and is wrapped to conceal its identity.

Crews at the site, located steps away from Atlantic Terminal, have been working night and day to complete the project, according to Steve Giralt, who provided photos and details to AppleInsider. Given the mad dash to finish, it's likely that Apple is working to open the store before Black Friday and the lucrative holiday shopping season.

A broken window pane at the front of the new store. Photos courtesy of Steve Giralt.

It's unclear whether the shattered glass might affect those apparent plans, however.

Apple was said to have signed a 10-year lease for the prime location in Fort Greene earlier this year. In addition to being next door to a transportation hub, 300 Ashland Place is also near the Barclays Center, home to the Brooklyn Nets, New York Islanders, and countless concerts and other events.

The Apple logo is covered, but not exactly discreet. Photos courtesy of Steve Giralt

Apple's first retail store in Brooklyn opened in Williamsburg in July of 2016, a few miles north of downtown. The company has a total of ten stores in New York City, all but three of which are located in Manhattan.

Though the year is drawing to a close, Apple still has two high-profile product launches scheduled for the month of December to draw customers into stores -- HomePod and iMac Pro. Driven by the blockbuster iPhone X, it's expected that the 2017 holiday season will result in Apple's best quarter in company history, making it a prime opportunity for the company to cash in with a new store in New York's most populous borough.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 33
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    I hope they bought AppleCare+.
    cgWerksbonobobedredretrogustoronnGG1maestro64jbdragonwelshdogspheric
  • Reply 2 of 33
    morkymorky Posts: 200member
    Awesome, an Apple store close to home, finally! Brooklyn has been severely neglected. Fourth largest city in America if not part of NYC, and just one Apple store.
    cali
  • Reply 3 of 33
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    Soli said:
    Priceless! LOL :)

I've been wondering - given the smash and grab break-ins - does this stuff shatter like a car windshield? (can't tell if that's plastic or the broken window in the pic) I was just thinking if it shatters in huge sharp chunks (like more normal glass), if there is a lot of danger involved. Like are we going to find some criminals sliced up one of these days? Or, in earth-quake prone places? I used to wonder about that while walking up that first glass stair-case in the original SF store.
    radarthekat
  • Reply 4 of 33
    cgWerks said:
    I've been wondering - given the smash and grab break-ins - does this stuff shatter like a car windshield? (can't tell if that's plastic or the broken window in the pic) I was just thinking if it shatters in huge sharp chunks (like more normal glass), if there is a lot of danger involved. Like are we going to find some criminals sliced up one of these days? Or, in earth-quake prone places? I used to wonder about that while walking up that first glass stair-case in the original SF store.
    I assume it's all laminated, by law, but also makes it hard to break through for security reasons. Hopefully we'll get some store window glass expert in here to educate us.
    radarthekat
  • Reply 5 of 33
    I like the Apple logo wrapped (a little too tightly) in aluminum foil to prevent identification.
    minicoffee
  • Reply 6 of 33
    I had no idea they were building an Apple "gathering place" in downtown Brooklyn. For a company some think is going out of business, they sure are opening a lot of new Apple places. However, two stores in Crooklyn and not even one in Queens seems a bit unfair. Not that it matters because I always purchase products directly from Apple's online site.
    jbdragon
  • Reply 7 of 33
    It's hard to keep loving a company with this level of pretension:  "Apple itself hasn't even confirmed that it is, in fact, an Apple store, though a quite obvious company logo adorns the storefront and is wrapped to conceal its identity."   Oh, COME ON.  It's gotta be a matter of public record anyway that a certain company is building a store on a certain site.   And how could such coyness benefit the outlet's opening-day sales?  (Which is the only reason to do anything in regards to a retail site.)  Just makes them seem too-cool-for-school, and like idiots.  Why not put up a banner celebrating Apple (finally) about to arrive in the heart of Brooklyn?!
  • Reply 8 of 33
    I guess it's supposed to look like this:

You can even rent an apartment upstairs--"only" $5100/month for a 2br!
    ronnminicoffeeredgeminipa
  • Reply 9 of 33
    ronnronn Posts: 653member
    I always thought downtown Brooklyn would get the first store in my hometown. About time. FYI, there are three, not two stores outside of Manhattan: Staten Island Mall, Queens Center Mall and Williamsburg Brooklyn.
  • Reply 10 of 33
    ronn said:
    I always thought downtown Brooklyn would get the first store in my hometown. About time. FYI, there are three, not two stores outside of Manhattan: Staten Island Mall, Queens Center Mall and Williamsburg Brooklyn.
    I completely forgot about the Queens Center one, thanks. Story has been updated.
  • Reply 11 of 33
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    For a company some think is going out of business, they sure are opening a lot of new Apple places.
    They aren't going out of business tomorrow. :) They've got a ton of cash and brand reputation to blow through. Worst case, it will be 5-10 years.
  • Reply 12 of 33
    ronnronn Posts: 653member
    nhughes said:
    ronn said:
    I completely forgot about the Queens Center one, thanks. Story has been updated.
    I live in Queens and I sometimes forget! :smiley: 
  • Reply 13 of 33
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    cgWerks said:
    Soli said:

it has to be tempered glass, it cannot break is sheets or large pieces. It will completely shatter in tiny pieces for the exact reason if it does break it can not fall on people and cut them in half.
    radarthekatcgWerks
  • Reply 14 of 33
    Someone is going to have to have a talk with the window washer.
  • Reply 15 of 33
    Cynflor said:
    It's hard to keep loving a company with this level of pretension:  "Apple itself hasn't even confirmed that it is, in fact, an Apple store, though a quite obvious company logo adorns the storefront and is wrapped to conceal its identity."   Oh, COME ON.  It's gotta be a matter of public record anyway that a certain company is building a store on a certain site.   And how could such coyness benefit the outlet's opening-day sales?  (Which is the only reason to do anything in regards to a retail site.)  Just makes them seem too-cool-for-school, and like idiots.  Why not put up a banner celebrating Apple (finally) about to arrive in the heart of Brooklyn?!
    I like how your example of Apple "pretension" is their not having announced this store yet and not the fact that it features a dramatic, but essentially pointless, "glass prow" design with a massive amount of unusual space.  I think the design is amazing, but also very pretentious--for a computer/phone store.
  • Reply 16 of 33
    Glass pane shatters - now they know the feeling of their iPhone X customers!
    radarthekat
  • Reply 17 of 33
    I don't know why people are saying the logo is tightly wrapped to keep the construction of the store a secret. Logos don't get uncovered for two very common reasons: 1) to keep it clean when other construction is still happening around it, and 2) to keep people from assuming the retailer is open. In this case, it could also be because it's fixed with some sort of adhesive that needs to set without allowing moisture to get inside. Regardless, this isn't a conspiracy. 
    edited November 2017 retrogustoradarthekatronnspheric
  • Reply 18 of 33
    cgWerks said:
    Soli said:
    The window manufacturer said "it's the strongest glass yet".
    cgWerks
  • Reply 19 of 33
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Apple hasn't announced an opening date yet?

Apple Store delayed due to production issues according to anonymous sources!
    edited November 2017 radarthekat
  • Reply 20 of 33
    jungmark said:
    Apple hasn't announced an opening date yet?

Apple Store delayed due to production issues according to anonymous sources!
    I would have thought it would open this Saturday in time for Black Friday (Apple stores usually open on Saturdays and are announced a week before). We'll see. Trying to get an answer from Apple on this one.
    ronn