Apple releases iOS 11.1.2 to fix cold weather & video distortion trouble on iPhone X

Posted:
in iPhone
Apple on Thursday issued an incremental iOS 11.1.2 update, mainly intended to solve complaints about the iPhone X temporarily failing to respond to touch in cold weather.

Also solved is a problem with distortions in videos and Live Photos shot on the phone, Apple said in release notes. The update should be available over-the-air through the Software Update menu in the iOS Settings app, or else by connecting a device to iTunes on a Mac or Windows PC.

Just last week Apple released iOS 11.1.1, fixing the infamous "i" autocorrect bug, as well as a problem with "Hey Siri."

The company remains at work on a bigger point release, iOS 11.2, which will enable 7.5W wireless charging on the iPhone 8 and X, and launch the long-awaited Apple Pay Cash, enabling direct money transfers through Messages.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    vahancouvervahancouver Posts: 14unconfirmed, member
    NOW I'm ready for the winter!
    caladanianwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 13
    Pretty soon we’ll be getting weekly bug fixes from Apple.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    roakeroake Posts: 809member
    I have an issue where if I load Apple Notes on my iPhone X, it will freeze up.  The phone doesn’t lock up, just the application.  I can force close it and reload it, frequently to see it freeze up again.  It freezes close to 100% of the time when I use the search box at the top of Notes.  Once it freezes, if I wait long enough (minutes), it will start working again.  I have, of course, tried rebooting my phone.

Any idea whether this is a known issue?
    cornchipbshank
  • Reply 4 of 13
    The fixes are only for iPhone X, and there is no security patches in this release. So why is it available as an update on my iPad Pro 2 12.9 and my iPhone 7?
  • Reply 5 of 13
    rexbinary said:
    The fixes are only for iPhone X, and there is no security patches in this release. So why is it available as an update on my iPad Pro 2 12.9 and my iPhone 7?
    It is to make sure you are on the same release-level as everyone else on the iOS unified platform of code. Even if nothing in the code-update directly benefits your particular model(s).
    edited November 2017 bshankRacerhomieXwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 13
    I am happy to report that I can now use my iPhone in a deep freezer.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    rexbinary said:
    It is to make sure you are on the same release-level as everyone else on the iOS unified platform of code. Even if nothing in the code-update directly benefits your particular model(s).
    If your guess is correct, that's a lame reason. They risk new issues on devices that don't need code changes so everything looks neat to someone. It's not like there hasn't been device specific patches before.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    roakeroake Posts: 809member
    rexbinary said:
    rexbinary said:
    If your guess is correct, that's a lame reason. They risk new issues on devices that don't need code changes so everything looks neat to someone. It's not like there hasn't been device specific patches before.
    They would risk even more issues by artificially fragmenting the release across multiple devices by withholding an update until they had something more “substantial” in the update for the non-X devices.

The last device-specific update I recall was to the original iPad Pro, which caused headaches for developers.
    edited November 2017 watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 13
    Apple on Thursday issued an incremental iOS 11.1.2 update, mainly intended to solve complaints about the iPhone X temporarily failing to respond to touch in cold weather.

Also solved is a problem with distortions in videos and Live Photos shot on the phone, Apple said in release notes. The update should be available over-the-air through the Software Update menu in the iOS Settings app, or else by connecting a device to iTunes on a Mac or Windows PC.

Just last week Apple released iOS 11.1.1, fixing the infamous "i" autocorrect bug, as well as a problem with "Hey Siri."

The company remains at work on a bigger point release, iOS 11.2, which will enable 7.5W wireless charging on the iPhone 8 and X, and launch the long-awaited Apple Pay Cash, enabling direct money transfers through Messages.
    I am on 11.2 Beta does this matter?
  • Reply 10 of 13
    bshankbshank Posts: 255member
    archena said:

I am on 11.2 Beta does this matter?
    Yes... not fixed there yet
  • Reply 11 of 13
    I've been musing on this cold-weather stuff. Would it be possible for the phone to detect when it's getting too cold and fire up a core or two with pointless math problems to generate heat?
  • Reply 12 of 13
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Coming in from the BBQ (literally and metaphorically) on the lanai here in Florida to the air-conditioning home is probably working better too ;)
  • Reply 13 of 13
    MAFMAF Posts: 1member
    I updated to 11.1.2 on my iphone 6S last night and all my music is gone, even though I'm logged into my music and have apple music. Also my battery life has completely diminished. Does anyone know what the hell I can do to fix this now? plus, my notification center is lagging, and emails and messages on the log screen are jumbled. This is the first time an update has effected my phone, and it's horrible.