AppleInsider podcast talks rumored iPhone X Plus, Face ID 'hacks,' iPad Pro 2018 and more

Posted:
in General Discussion
This week on the AppleInsider podcast, Neil and Victor talk about the iPhone X lineup for 2018, the supposed Face ID 'hacks', and a major motion picture shot entirely on iPhone 7 Plus.

In our latest episode, AppleInsider editors Neil Hughes and Victor Marks discuss:
  • The iPhone X 2018 lineup - a plus sized phone, the existing size, and an LCD-based model. Victor thinks on the transition away from home button.
  • Apple rumors suggest a rear-facing 3D sensor for 2019. Shoot animoji karaoke with friends?
  • Fear of an 8-core planet: Some speculation on a 2018 iPad Pro A11X.
  • Steven Soderbergh shooting a movie set to release in March 2018 on iPhone 7 Plus. We wonder how the audio was done, how editing of dailies was done, lenses, apps employed. Just having the tools isn't enough, but there's never been an easier time to be an indie filmmaker.
  • iPhone X shipments now at the 2-3 weeks level. Supply is increasing. This all makes sense, and Neil rightly points out that Apple probably would have preferred to have launched the iPhone X at the same time as the iPhone 8.
  • Apple's Brooklyn store under construction suffers a setback. Broken architectural glass can't be cheap.
  • The video of the 10-year old unlocking his mother's phone with Face ID. This is the problem with new technology, is that people don't understand how it works and think they're fooling it, mistakenly. Expect a lot of ridiculous stories about this in other news outlets.
  • iOS beta 11.2 enables faster wireless charging. This is a good opportunity to get Neil to talk about how he learned to love wireless charging.
  • Apple Watch Series 3 with LTE saves a kitesurfer capsized in shark-infested waters.
  • Rumors of a HomePod with Face ID. Neil and Victor are a little puzzled as to why, when we have yet to see the first HomePod. We get a little off track, talking about VoiceFirst interfaces, some of Siri's failings, and where this is all headed.
  • Apple admits iPhone X stops working in cool weather, and issues a fix, but not before Neil has to warm up his phone in a bank lobby in order to use it.
  • Steven Sinofsky praises iPhone X and iOS 11. Of course, this sends Android and Microsoft loyalists into fits.
  • Jony Ive talks about the choices and compromises involved in removing the home button, and why you risk doing something drastic like this.
  • Logitech sends free hardware to customers after bricking older hardware. Neil praises this as 'doing the right thing' while Victor wonders aloud about the implications - who owns the hardware, and what do you really own?
The show is available on iTunes and your favorite podcast apps by searching for "AppleInsider." Click here to listen, subscribe, and don't forget to rate our show.

Listen to the embedded SoundCloud feed below:

Show note links: Follow our hosts on Twitter: @thisisneil and @vmarks.

Feedback and comments are always appreciated. Please contact the AppleInsider podcast at [email protected] and follow us on Twitter @appleinsider, plus Facebook and Instagram.

Those interested in sponsoring the show can reach out to us at [email protected].

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Can’t we wait a couple of weeks before publishing rumors about next year’s products. Can we have some time to absorb and appreciate what we have now right in front of us, real products? We have real products that are far from what was ‘rumored’ for the past year. I, for one, am not really interested in what some prognosticator dreamed up in their sleep. 
  • Reply 2 of 3
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    re: phone bezels - I actually don't like the edge-to-edge screen for functionality. It looks pretty, but then you have to hold it too carefully. So, if Apple goes edge to edge with future iPhones but can't go quite as far with no OLED, I'd have to say 'GREAT!' to that. :)

Also, about phone size, I'm still an SE fan. I stopped at a store and held the X the other day, and like the 6, 7, 8 it's too wide to use comfortably unless you use it two-handed. (And, even then, it feels a bit too wide to me. The SE feels more 'just right' for something you hold in your hand and use as a phone.)

Also, I tried doing some of the swipes one-handed and though it was a bit hard with the security widgets stuck to the back, it felt nearly impossible to do safely. It's a two-handed thing, I guess.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    vmarksvmarks Posts: 762editor
    lkrupp said:
    Can’t we wait a couple of weeks before publishing rumors about next year’s products. Can we have some time to absorb and appreciate what we have now right in front of us, real products? We have real products that are far from what was ‘rumored’ for the past year. I, for one, am not really interested in what some prognosticator dreamed up in their sleep. 
    You aren't wrong.

And I keep trying to show the gap between what was in someone's snow-globe they labeled a crystal ball and what we got. 

I feel pretty safe about the iPad Pro update rumor. I feel a lot less save about the 2018 iPhone lineup rumor: a plus-sized X makes sense. An LCD one makes sense from a pricing perspective, but otherwise it seems antithetical, like Apple probably would prefer not to, having chosen OLED as the correct screen for the future phones.