Lisa Jackson doubles-down on 100% recycled material use goal, lauds Apple's environmental ...

Posted:
in General Discussion edited November 2017
Apple's Senior Vice President for Vice President Environment, Policy and Social Initiatives Lisa Jackson granted an interview to an Australian publication, and continued to drive home Apple's goal towards using 100 percent recycled materials across all of its products, Apple's "right to repair" philosophy, and Apple's point of view on the taxes it pays.

"What we've committed to is 100 percent recycled material to make our products, or renewable material. We're working like gangbusters on that." Jackson told News.Com.Au on Monday. "As far as I know, we're the only company in the sector trying to figure that out. Most people talk about recycling electronics but the material is not necessarily used in new electronics."

Monday's interview is the second time that Jackson has discussed Apple's drive for 100 percent recycled material use. In April, Apple pledged to use 100 percent recycled materials in a closed supply loop for future fabrication of its devices -- but how it intends to do so still isn't clear.

Jackson didn't delve into any specifics of Apple's research on the matter in the interview.

Right to repair

Jackson was asked about criticism that Apple had taken regarding it's apparent unwillingness to make it easier for customers to repair iPhones, iPads, and Macs.

"Let's be really clear, there is nothing about Apple's thinking on our devices that isn't for having a long lasting device that's great for the planet, that can then be recycled, and hopefully be reused to make more devices," answered Jackson. "That's our goal ultimately."

"We run our own repair programs and then authorize and certify repairers. The question is in a device that is increasingly complex, what is best for the customer? Third-party, unauthorized repairs are exactly what they sound like," said Jackson. "We want to make sure repairs are done correctly."

Environmental stewardship

The interview addressed Jackson's credentials prior to her job at Apple. Jackson spent 25 years at the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), with four years as the Administrator of the agency.

Referring to the Trump administration's choices in regards to the current head of the EPA, and the roll-back of regulations previously in place, Jackson said that American leadership "remains important and will be missed."

However, Jackson also pointed out that despite Apple not being required to reduce its carbon footprint, it is doing so anyway.

"We have had since 2012, the first data center that relies purely on renewable energy," Jackson said. "If we can do it, you should expect the same from every company."

Taxation

Jackson was asked about Apple's involvement in the "Paradise Papers." A leak of financial documents accused Apple of moving a holding firm to the Channel Islands, potentially contravening tax laws -- should the leak be entirely accurate.

"We're the largest corporate taxpayer in the world," Jackson said. "And we follow the laws where they are, we've been really clear on all of those things."

Apple's tax affairs are the latest in a number of financial scandals to have erupted after the Paradise Papers were leaked to a German newspaper and shared to other media outlets in the International Consortium of Investigative Journalists. Other discoveries in the leak include reports that part of the British Queen's private estate is invested offshore, and that an official from President Donald Trump's administration held a stake in a firm connected to Russian President Vladimir Putin's son-in-law.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,858administrator
    One more time. I've got the keys again. You didn't disappoint me last week, so let's try keeping comments live again.

Keep it civil.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 9
    What about the owner's right to upgrade storage and memory?  Not good for the environment.  Makes it faster for the Mac to be disposed of in the future.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,858administrator
    macseeker said:
    What about the owner's right to upgrade storage and memory?  Not good for the environment.  Makes it faster for the Mac to be disposed of in the future.
    Wasn't addressed in this interview.

And, the owner's right to upgrade storage and memory is a demand of the AppleInsider audience -- but not Apple's larger user base. I like it, you like it, but the average user doesn't care.
    edited November 2017 stompyStrangeDayswatto_cobrapropodjony0
  • Reply 4 of 9
    macseeker said:

And, the owner's right to upgrade storage and memory is a demand of the AppleInsider audience -- but not Apple's larger user base. I like it, you like it, but the average user doesn't care.
    Yeah, the average consumer is a throw-away type when it comes to products.  I just hate to see a good product (in this case, a Mac) gets thrown away as garbage.  The interviewer should have asked this question.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    macseeker said:
    macseeker said:

Yeah, the average consumer is a throw-away type when it comes to products.  I just hate to see a good product (in this case, a Mac) gets thrown away as garbage.  The interviewer should have asked this question.
    But they don’t get “thrown away” anymore than you throw away your ipad which can’t be upgraded either. Macs have excellent lifespans and are popular in secondary markets (resale and handing down). People simply use them for years and then upgrade the entire machine. And it’s fine. They aren’t thrown into the garbage after six months because you can’t upgrade some DIY component. 
    watto_cobrabshankhubbaxjony0
  • Reply 6 of 9
    mac_dogmac_dog Posts: 1,069member
    macseeker said:
    It’s called a PC—there’s your right. 
    paisleydisco
  • Reply 7 of 9
    I applaud Apple and Ms. Jackson for this responsible approach. It's one of the reasons I buy only Apple tech. 
    slprescottwatto_cobrapropodjony0
  • Reply 8 of 9
    macseeker said:
    I love to upgrade storage & memory of course, but dont want it to compromise the design (doesn’t want it to look ugly like PC boxes so you can get into the box easily.) This is why I love my Mac Mini even though upgrading it is a pain. 

watto_cobra