Apple allegedly 'dithered' over HomePod development, canceled & restarted project

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware
Apple's HomePod project actually predates the Amazon Echo, but was reportedly canceled and restarted multiple times, and has undergone radical design changes.

The smartspeaker was originally a side project by some of the company's Mac audio engineers, who wanted to build something with better audio than brands like Bose and Harman Kardon, Bloomberg sources said. Some of the engineers were from speaker makers themselves, and were eager to use and refine beamforming -- technology that directs audio to particular places in a room.

Prototypes ranged from a flat panel with a mesh screen to one measuring some three feet tall with dozens of speakers. Apple is also said to have toyed with the idea of making it a Beats product, as well as offering it in a range of colors instead of the black and white options now planned.

In 2014 the project graduated into an official endeavor at the accessories division under Gary Geaves. A dedicated team of engineers was relocated to Valley Green 1 -- an office near 1 Infinite Loop in Cupertino.

The Echo "blindsided" the team that year, and engineers joked about each other leaking the HomePod to Amazon, according to Bloomberg. The group bought some Echos to dismantle them, but judged their sound inferior and continued on.

The Siri team was reportedly told that the HomePod was about music and high-quality audio, downplaying the voice assistant aspect. Indeed that's reflected in Apple's marketing, and the device won't support easy addition of third-party "skills"/apps like the Echo. Those will actually be processed on a paired iPhone or iPad, and developers will have to update their iOS titles for support. Moreover, only messaging, to-do, and notes apps will be compatible.

By 2016 Apple was testing the HomePod with workers outside the project, even recruiting some retail workers to help.

The HomePod was at one point announced as shipping in December for $349, but is now slated to arrive in "early 2018."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 41
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Mmm. Not sure why this is a story. 

Sounds like run-of-the-mill product development to me. 

mike1randominternetpersonmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 2 of 41
    The Echo "blindsided" the team that year, and engineers joked about each other leaking the HomePod to Amazon, according to Bloomberg. The group bought some Echos to dismantle them, but judged their sound inferior and continued on. 
    That’s hilarious. Where Microsoft bought PowerMac G5s to build the Xbox around and where Google just copied the iPhone software outright, Apple tears down its competitors and gets disappointed they don’t find anything worth copying.

I’m still not sure about this product, though.
    macxpressriverkochiaracerhomiefotoformatlkrupppichaelMisterKithubbaxpscooter63
  • Reply 3 of 41
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    The ech is in large part popular because of the voice assistant functionality. 
    aylkxzu
  • Reply 4 of 41
    dachardachar Posts: 330member
    Apple’s late entry into this area has been commmented upon before. This story, if true, helps to explain some of the reasons.  The on, off of this project suggests that there was not sufficient buy in at a senior level until perhaps they saw how Amazon’s offering was becoming popular and that it was another hook into an ecosystem. 
    paisleydiscoSolimuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 5 of 41
    That’s hilarious. Where Microsoft bought PowerMac G5s to build the Xbox around and where Google just copied the iPhone software outright, Apple tears down its competitors and gets disappointed they don’t find anything worth copying.

Now you’ve done it!  

Brace yourself for the Gatorection!

Right … that was supposed to be a mashup of “Gatorguy” and “Correction”, but I forgot to read it back out loud.  🤦🏾‍♂️
    macxpresscalihubbaxjony0pscooter63spliff monkey
  • Reply 6 of 41
    NY1822NY1822 Posts: 621member
    after the reading the Bloomberg report it literally sounds like an Ad for Echo, written by Amazon writers.
    macplusplusracerhomie
  • Reply 7 of 41
    d_2d_2 Posts: 118member
    jd_in_sb said:
    Agreed, and said functionality has ties to Amazon’s content and shopping platforms. Popularity in terms of volume is also due to its price point, and now varied price points due to multiple options.

While the Amazon phone was a flop, at least they try these various initiatives and forge ahead with the ones that show some promise, like Echo.

I’m heavily tied to Apple’s platforms (and AAPL), but my continued use of Prime has me trying more things from Amazon, first Video and now Echo... as well as buying into AMZN.
    longpathmazda 3s
  • Reply 8 of 41
    Is the offloading of processing to a paired device a real thing Or just onother crazy rumor? that seems to run contrary to the iPhone worthy Soc powering the Pod ? Why would it outsouce power ?

This still doesn't explain why Tim announced this in June though, and what off the iMac Pro less than 50 days to go.
    king editor the grate
  • Reply 9 of 41
    NY1822 said:
    after the reading the Bloomberg report it literally sounds like an Ad for Echo, written by Amazon writers.
    ... trying to put HomePod as a direct competitor of Echo. It is not. It is a high-end speaker, a deluxe media consumption device and if Apple has delayed it it is because they need more time to enhance it with advanced streaming features such as AirPlay 2, intelligent playback and alike, not to make a “in-house shopping outlet” of it.
    StrangeDayscaliMisterKitentropys
  • Reply 10 of 41
    Echo is popular because it’s cheap. It will be interesting to see if consumers think $350 is a fair price for HomePod or not.
    aylk
  • Reply 11 of 41
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member
    Rayz2016 said:

Now you’ve done it!  

Right … that was supposed to be a mashup of “Gatorguy” and “Correction”, but I forgot to read it back out loud.  🤦🏾‍♂️
    I see you really enjoy reading my posts,  quite often making a pointed effort to encourage me to chime in. :)
     I'm glad you look forward to them, but in this particular thread I'm sorry to say I really don't have much to add.
    muthuk_vanalingamentropysavon b7
  • Reply 12 of 41
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    This Bloomberg article is the perfect example of trash journalism, made to garner clicks based on an anti-Apple narrative, and quoting "anonymous" employees who shit on their product and their company. Also, there is nothing abnormal about the description of this product's development. Development is never a clean, straight line and some of Apple's best, most game-changing products had messy development cycles, where the project was started, scrapped, stalled, restarted, etc. It's the final product that matters. Homepod differentiates itself enough from the Echo, in terms of both its integration with Apple's ecosystem, and sound quality. 
    edited November 2017 StrangeDays
  • Reply 13 of 41
    Clickbaitness of the original story aside.. whatever Apple was/is doing with it, I'm very glad they did/are doing it. The design of the Home Pod seems about as close to perfect as you can get. I (patiently) can't wait to get one!

I wonder if (hope) part of the reason is that they're waiting to introduce it in combination with some more Apple TV tie-in features.
  • Reply 14 of 41
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    d_2 said:
    jd_in_sb said:
    Agreed, and said functionality has ties to Amazon’s content and shopping platforms. Popularity in terms of volume is also due to its price point, and now varied price points due to multiple options.

While the Amazon phone was a flop, at least they try these various initiatives and forge ahead with the ones that show some promise, like Echo.

I’m heavily tied to Apple’s platforms (and AAPL), but my continued use of Prime has me trying more things from Amazon, first Video and now Echo... as well as buying into AMZN.
    Sell your AAPL before it’s too late!
  • Reply 15 of 41
    I don't see this as anti-Apple..
    On the contrary.. It shows the HomePod wasn't a me-too panic reaction.. They were in fact longer at it than Amazon.. They just have higher standards of quality..
    All good..
    edited November 2017 asdasdcalispliff monkey
  • Reply 16 of 41
    I for one am in on one.. Never had high-quality speakers.. These guys easily cost upward of 5000$..
    350$ seems a bargain..
  • Reply 17 of 41
    gatorguy said:
    Rayz2016 said:

Now you’ve done it!  

I see you really enjoy reading my posts,  quite often making a pointed effort to encourage me to chime in. :)
     I'm glad you look forward to them, but in this particular thread I'm sorry to say I really don't have much to add.

Nothing to add??

But … but … he badmouthed the mothership!

Well there’s a surprise. 😮
    tallest skil
  • Reply 18 of 41
    I don't see this as anti-Apple..
    On the contrary.. It shows the HomePod wasn't a me-too panic reaction.. They were in fact longer at it than Amazon.. They just have higher standards of quality..
    All good..
    Agreed. 

In most companies, engineers who come up with products off their own backs have to sell it to the board. 

The good thing is that they didn’t all leave and form a startup. 

• Reply 19 of 41
    mattrogers_2mattrogers_2 Posts: 10unconfirmed, member
    APPLE IS DOOMED!
  • Reply 20 of 41
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member
    Rayz2016 said:
    gatorguy said:
    Rayz2016 said:

Now you’ve done it!  

Right … that was supposed to be a mashup of “Gatorguy” and “Correction”, but I forgot to read it back out loud.  ߤ氟ᆭzwj;♂️

Nothing to add??

But … but … he badmouthed the mothership!

Well there’s a surprise. ߘt;/div>
    I bad-mouthed Google myself earlier today. Surprised you didn't take note of it. Maybe some members here just see what they want to see?
    edited November 2017 muthuk_vanalingamavon b7