iPhone X delivery times fall to within one week in US

Posted:
in iPhone edited November 2017
After a rocky start marked by a quick initial sellout and lingering supply issues, Apple is quickly catching up with iPhone X demand, with current U.S. delivery estimates pegging ship times at six business days.

All iPhone X models up for sale on Apple's online store are showing a common delivery date of Dec. 8, down from an estimate of one to two weeks logged last week. A week prior to that, Apple was quoting shipping lead times of two to three weeks.

According to reports, Apple has been working with its manufacturing partners to clear bottlenecks holding up production of its most advanced iPhone device to date.

In a note to investors last week, KGI analyst Ming-Chi Kuo said supply chain improvements were to thank for Apple's improved iPhone X ship times, specifically a diversification of LCP LTE antenna orders and higher yields of iPhone's TrueDepth dot projector. Previous reports blamed iPhone X manufacturing holdups on hardware associated with the complex TrueDepth camera, a cutting-edge depth-sensing array fabricated from highly sophisticated -- and highly sensitive -- components.

With ample supply of critical parts, Apple partner Foxconn is producing between 450,000 to 550,000 iPhone X units per day, up from 50,000 to 150,000, Kuo said. The rapid ramp-up is expected to drive an increase in fourth quarter shipments, some 10 to 20 percent higher than previous forecasts.

Apple's latest iPhone X supply revision brings shipments well within a week for the first time since the handset went up for preorder in October. A crush of initial orders led to a stockout in just ten minutes, while continued demand pushed deliveries out past a month. At its peak, iPhone X ship-by estimates were sitting at 5 to 6 weeks.

While online order ship-by times are improving, in-store supply is still severely constrained. Spot checks of brick-and-mortar Apple Stores located in major metropolitan areas show all iPhone X models as out of stock.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    I ordered one Thanksgiving morning and the expected ship date was December 3-8.  Quickly it turned into November 28 with expected delivery December 5.  Now it’s on its final leg, delivery scheduled for tomorrow (Dec. 1). 

I’ll end up receiving it a week before the original delivery date. 

And yet yet it seems like the local Apple stores can’t get them in stock.
    xzu
  • Reply 2 of 20
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Still waiting for the Apple Store to stock the unlocked iPhone X. :-/
    zroger73
  • Reply 3 of 20
    john.b said:

Yes, me too.
  • Reply 4 of 20
    DJM1740 said:
    I ordered one Thanksgiving morning and the expected ship date was December 3-8.  Quickly it turned into November 28 with expected delivery December 5.  Now it’s on its final leg, delivery scheduled for tomorrow (Dec. 1). 

I’ll end up receiving it a week before the original delivery date. 

And yet yet it seems like the local Apple stores can’t get them in stock.
    I ordered mine the same day, with the same info as you. I thought it was coming on Tuesday of next week, so I had UPS change my delivery destination so I could stop off at a nearby UPS store to pick it up! Turns out that it is scheduled to be delivered this Friday! Still works out for me because I'm off that day, so I'll be able to pick it up early and have all day to play around with it! I've checked all this week with my local Apple Store, and they have been getting stock in early in the day, but it sells out by the time I get off work. It seems that they do receive stock every day, but it just sells out quickly.
    pscooter63
  • Reply 5 of 20
    john.b said:
    I just bought my business partner a full priced, unlocked Verizon model and he popped his ATT SIM card in. Unlike a few weeks ago, you can now buy an iPhone at the Apple Store without connecting a carrier. You still need to choose the Verizon model, but nothing else needs to be done after purchase besides popping in your SIM.
    StrangeDayscaladanian
  • Reply 6 of 20
    bonobobbonobob Posts: 382member
    john.b said:
    They already do. I bought an unlocked CDMA version in store on November 18 with a Verizon SIM. I popped that out and put in my Cricket SIM, and everything just worked.
    ben20
  • Reply 7 of 20
    Finally played with one of these at Best Buy yesterday. I guess I could get used to the notch but the lack of a home button function was insane. It was extremely confusing to figure out where/how to close out apps and get back to the home screen. Yeah, I'll keep my SE and grab an SE -2 when it comes out. ...and for less than 1/2 the price of that fragile glass ornament.
  • Reply 8 of 20
    BebeBebe Posts: 145member
    Finally played with one of these at Best Buy yesterday. I guess I could get used to the notch but the lack of a home button function was insane. It was extremely confusing to figure out where/how to close out apps and get back to the home screen. Yeah, I'll keep my SE and grab an SE -2 when it comes out. ...and for less than 1/2 the price of that fragile glass ornament.
    You’ll get use to it. For me, I like it better than pressing a button. 
    netmageStrangeDayscaladanian
  • Reply 9 of 20
    Both my brother and a close friend have had their iPhone Xs for a couple of weeks now. I'm not fond of the bluish-green tint of the OLED displays compared to my 6S+, which seems warmer and truer when I hold them side-by-side. In normal to bright light, I'm not blown away with the OLED display. The naked phone is beautiful, but, as usual, cases hide most of that beauty. The lack of a familiar home button feels "wrong" to me, but I'm sure I would get used to it. Closing apps is an exercise in frustration. I don't like the Face ID since I frequently unlock my iPhone while it's sitting off to the side of me on a desk or table - I don't want to pick the phone up or have to hover over it.

As a hardcore Apple fan, I really wanted to be excited and impressed by the iPhone X. I'm not "made of money", but it's easily affordable for me. Still, I can't justify spending $1000+ for what seems like a step backwards in terms of size and usability for me. Neither the 7 nor the 8 did anything for me. I feel like the 6S+ is still more than adequate. At this point, I feel like the only thing that would prompt me to buy an iPhone X is if my 6S+ were to die. Based on how long these things last when taken care of, that might be years from now.
  • Reply 10 of 20
    smaffeismaffei Posts: 237member
    It's amazing what forced teen labor can do!
  • Reply 11 of 20
    smaffei said:
    It's amazing what forced teen labor can do!
    Keep up the good work, kids!
  • Reply 12 of 20
    I ordered Nov. 27. Estimated ship date was Dec. 11-18. Got email yesterday that it will ship Dec. 11. 
  • Reply 13 of 20
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,336member
    So you had no intention of getting the X as an SE user. Why make it like it’s sooo confusing to use without home button. You even mention that the SE is half the price which tells me again you had zero intention of buying the X. Holding my cousins phone it took about 5 mins for me to get used to the motions of closing apps and getting back to the home screen. It’s not that difficult. 
    netmageStrangeDays
  • Reply 14 of 20
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    To each their own.  I played with the X at an Apple Store last week, and found it quite simple to use.  It was no problem at all to do the "half swipe" to bring up multitasking - I don't know what all the complaining is about.  I think within a couple days of use I would be full-on good without the home button.

The swipe downs for notifications and control centre are more cumbersome for one handed use, but I hope Apple figures out a good 3DTouch gesture in future (side swipe with 3D Touch press or something) that would make at least one of them easier.
    netmage
  • Reply 15 of 20
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    It would appear that millions don’t share your opinion.
    netmageStrangeDayscaladanianmacxpress
  • Reply 16 of 20
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    There is no question it takes time to get used to not having a home button, but once you do, its way more fluid using the phone with hand gestures. I don't miss the home button one bit. 
    edited December 2017 caladanian
  • Reply 17 of 20
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,834member
    Yeah not a problem. Since there’s no reason to force quit apps on iOS unless there’s a problem (and is in fact counter-productive) the added time to initiate a force quit isn’t an issue. 
  • Reply 18 of 20
    Today's email purports it will actually arrive Dec. 5. Weelah!
  • Reply 19 of 20
    The day you can walk into any Apple retail store and buy the iPhone X model you want is the day Apple’s doom begins.
    king editor the grate
  • Reply 20 of 20
    bonobob said:
    john.b said:
    They already do. I bought an unlocked CDMA version in store on November 18 with a Verizon SIM. I popped that out and put in my Cricket SIM, and everything just worked.
    I suspect that was the case in November, if you could find a store with stock of the variant you wanted. It was only since last weekend that you could buy online at Apple.com without first activating a carrier on a new or existing line. They still aren't calling it "SIM-free" though. I went in search of a 256 silver X. First store, no luck. Second store, a misguided stopover at Target, had stock but refused to sell it off contract. Next Apple Store had stock but a short queue to buy (there were others ahead of me but we all walked out with phones).