Apple Store app updates lets iPhone buyers bypass carrier preauthorization

Posted:
in iPhone
Apple updated its Apple Store app for iOS on Wednesday with a few feature additions, including the ability to bypass a pesky carrier preauthorization requirement when buying iPhone.

Apple Store version 4.4 brings a few minor updates to Apple's dedicated online shopping app.

The biggest change, at least for iPhone buyers, is the option to bypass Apple's carrier preauthorization check when purchasing an AT&T, Verizon or Sprint handset at full price. Those who elect to skip authorization can activate the phone on their carrier's network when they receive it, speeding up the checkout process.

Prior to today's update, Apple in some cases required buyers to enter a valid wireless phone number as part of its iPhone purchase process. The procedure ties the new phone to its buyer's account, acting as a form of security during shipping and streamlining setup once the device arrives.

In addition to the change in preauthorization handling, the Apple Store app now integrates a scanner -- an iPhone or iPad camera -- for adding credit card information at checkout.

Apple commonly implements smart scanner functionality in its first-party apps, including the App Store and Wallet, to glean data from captured images using optical character recognition. The feature is normally used for setting up credit or debit cards, redeeming iTunes gift cards and other functions that benefit from automated text entry.

Finally, Apple added unnamed iOS 11 enhancements to the app.

Apple Store version 4.4 is a free 73.8MB download from the App Store.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    it's about time, the carrier preauthorization check always got overloaded on launch day, never seemed to work on business accounts, and all that has to be done to active the phone without preauthorization is swapping out the SIM from the old iPhone.
    airnerd
  • Reply 2 of 12
    jvmbjvmb Posts: 59member
    Why would anyone want to buy a carrier version if you don’t get a subsidy? With the carrier version you have to pay an upgrade fee and it is locked. The only benefit is that you don’t have to spend the better part of one minute to swap out the SIM card. 
    zroger732old4funGeorgeBMacavon b7
  • Reply 3 of 12
    lawjollalawjolla Posts: 3unconfirmed, member
    Apple forces preauthorization to help avoid scalping / grey market phones.  This change is a result of the "SIM Free" phones, not some new Apple store version.  Expect the next round of iPhones to continue the preauthorization at launch.

Poor story.
    john.b
  • Reply 4 of 12
    lawjolla said:
    Apple forces preauthorization to help avoid scalping / grey market phones.  This change is a result of the "SIM Free" phones, not some new Apple store version.  Expect the next round of iPhones to continue the preauthorization at launch.

Poor story.
    iPhone 8 and 8 Plus were sold with a SIM-free option (read: unlocked) at launch. That was unusual for Apple.
    edited December 2017
  • Reply 5 of 12
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    jvmb said:
    Why would anyone want to buy a carrier version if you don’t get a subsidy? With the carrier version you have to pay an upgrade fee and it is locked. The only benefit is that you don’t have to spend the better part of one minute to swap out the SIM card. 
    Not all carier versions are locked. Verizon iPhone's have always been unlocked. 
    edited December 2017
  • Reply 6 of 12
    Yeah!!! Now you basically don't have to wait for the SIM-Free version anymore. I wonder if my actions (probably one of many thousands that did this) lead to this decision. I'm on AT&T, but I wanted a Verizon/Sprint iPhone as it can do all carriers. I called up my Mom to ask if I get her info so I could pre-order the X and buy it outright. When the X finally came, setting up wanted to activate her number, so I called Apple to help me out. I told them I fully paid for the phone, so it should not be activation locked. Plus I didn't want to activate on Verizon as it would take my mom's number. I could not get passed the carrier activation screen. It took about 1 1/2 days for them to remove the carrier activation screen for me.
    edited December 2017
  • Reply 7 of 12
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    What does SIM Free mean?
    a) That is doesn't have SIM tray?
    b)  That it has a SIM tray but not a SIM card?
    c)  That it isn't locked to a carrier?
    d)  That it can access all common carrier bands (both GSM and CDMA)?

All of the above?
    None of the above?
    Some of the above?
  • Reply 8 of 12
    Have you heard of "sim free" version of the iPhone?  Only the "naive" would buy the other versions if they pay the full price!  Got my X sim-free model yesterday!
    edited December 2017 GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 9 of 12
    What does SIM Free mean?
    a) That is doesn't have SIM tray?
    b)  That it has a SIM tray but not a SIM card?
    c)  That it isn't locked to a carrier?
    d)  That it can access all common carrier bands (both GSM and CDMA)?

All of the above?
    None of the above?
    Some of the above?
    It does have a SIM tray, but it is empty (carrier versions have their sim card in it). The Phone is not carrier locked and has all the bands (GSM and CDMA).
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 10 of 12
    Have you heard of "sim free" version of the iPhone?  Only the "naive" would buy the other versions if they pay the full price!  Got my X sim-free model yesterday!
    What's the point of a sim free version if you are on Verizon? I can swap out sim cards on my Verizon iPhone X when I travel overseas to use a local carrier. Buying the phone unlocked through Apple or doing monthly installments through Verizon, phone still costs the same as does the plan. 
    edited December 2017
  • Reply 11 of 12
    jvmbjvmb Posts: 59member
    Does Verizon charge an upgrade fee when you buy the Verizon version?  With the sim-free version there is no upgrade fee. 
  • Reply 12 of 12
    jvmb said:
    Does Verizon charge an upgrade fee when you buy the Verizon version?  With the sim-free version there is no upgrade fee. 
    Yes. $30 activation fee. Like I said earlier, I didn't want to activate my X because it would take taken my Mom's phone....but I also didn't want her to get charged the $30 activation fee......I hope she still doesn't get charge on her bill but I don't see how since I never activated it (got Apple to remove the pre-activated screen).