How to make the most of Amazon Prime Video on Apple TV

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
The long-awaited Amazon Prime Video is finally available on Apple TV and iOS, and although the UI might not be perfect, support for Siri and Apple's TV app really adds to the user experience.

Amazon Prime Video comes as a free app through the tvOS App Store. It's quick to download, and allows you to browse content without signing in. Owners of the third-generation Apple TV will also find a new Prime Video channel on their home screen.

Using the Apple TV's Siri Remote can be quite a hassle when signing in, but you can hold down the Siri button and voice your credentials. Simply say "capital" before any uppercase letters and you'll be surprised how quick and accurate the voice input is. Amazon also lets users register their Apple TV on another device, via a browser, if they wish.

Once you're in, you'll be greeted with a simple UI on the Home screen, with tabs at the top for everything you'll ever need access to.

From the Apple TV Home screen, you can also hold the Siri button and simply say, "Prime Video," to open the app. This works system-wide, including from within apps like Netflix.

Once in the app, you can swipe up and start browsing through movies, and if you've got the new Apple TV 4K, there's a category of movies with 4K and HDR support.

There's also a category with Channels, like HBO and Showtime, which can be subscribed to as part of Amazon Prime, if you don't want to sign up separately.

If you don't like the browsing UI, you can hold the Siri Button and ask her to find movies for you. We first asked Siri to find new movies in 4K, and Siri did just that. We then asked her to find 4K and HDR movies, and it worked perfectly.

You can also simply say the title of a movie, and Siri will give you a list of every movie that contains that title or is directly related to it. Once you find a title using search, and if it's available on Prime Video, you can instantly play it. If you search and find a movie that's not available on Prime Video, all of the iTunes purchasing options show up, through Apple's TV app.

To avoid that, you can use Siri search to specifically ask for movies on Prime Video. Once you find a title, you can search through seasons, and quickly browse through episodes.

To make the Prime Video experience even better, you can sync all of your purchased Amazon Prime movies with iTunes by utilizing the new Movies Anywhere service. You even get a few actually decent movies for free when you sync Amazon Prime and other services like Vudu and Google Play.

When you play your first title on Prime Video, tvOS will ask you to connect it to the TV app, this will enhance Prime Video integration across all of your connected Apple devices, like the iPhone X and its edge-to-edge screen.

From the Apple TV Home Page, you'll see the Prime Video titles you're currently watching within the Up Next section, and can instantly continue playback.

An interesting thing we noticed is that even though Prime Video can stream in 4K and HDR, it's currently limited to 2.1 stereo sound, meaning 2 speaker channels and 1 subwoofer, but this may be due to a bug in the software, and should hopefully be fixed soon.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    Good review after only a short period of time of the app being live. 

Honestly, I thought this Amazon Prime video app was vaporware and never coming - they kept missing the dates. In my book, this breathes much needed new life into the AppleTV platform.  AppleTV could be so much more, but this finally brings the platform to a reasonable level to consider it. 
  • Reply 2 of 22
    The worst video app on AppleTV..from UI/UX standpoint. So bad I have to look for Prime Video content on the TV app, which it is integrated with, surprisingly since Netflix is a big hold out. The TV app is finally coming along well and is now useful with Prime Video and live sports. I think it’ll be even better with live news integration..and maybe one of these days Netflix will be integrated:
    edited December 2017 jbdragon
  • Reply 3 of 22
    UI froze twice in first 20 minutes of use on ATV4.
    Ugly and hard to navigate—one of the world's richest 1% could not afford to pay top-rank coders for a native ATV application?

• Reply 4 of 22
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    gtj333 said:

Honestly, I thought this Amazon Prime video app was vaporware and never coming - they kept missing the dates. In my book, this breathes much needed new life into the AppleTV platform.  AppleTV could be so much more, but this finally brings the platform to a reasonable level to consider it. 
    Oh Christ! Give it a rest. The Apple TV ‘could be so much more’? And this POS app makes it better? I want to throw up in my mouth.
  • Reply 5 of 22
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

plankton said:
    UI froze twice in first 20 minutes of use on ATV4.
    Ugly and hard to navigate—one of the world's richest 1% could not afford to pay top-rank coders for a native ATV application?

Rene Ritchie calls it the absolute worst app ever slopped together for the ATV. It easily dethrones the Hulu app as the worst and that’s saying something. I thought it was okay at first but the more I use it the more smarmy it gets.
  • Reply 6 of 22
    polymniapolymnia Posts: 1,080member
    Don’t we just use it through the TV app on the ATV?

I’m watching Thursday Night Football through Amazon Prine now and it is one of the best looking broadcasts I’ve seen. That counts the Twitter streams from last year, cable & OTA (my previous favorite). 

I’m almost convinced the broadcast is in 4K. But I think it is just nice upsampling of a high quality HD stream. 
  • Reply 7 of 22
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    lkrupp said:
    gtj333 said:

Oh Christ! Give it a rest. The Apple TV ‘could be so much more’? And this POS app makes it better? I want to throw up in my mouth.
    It could be so much more, but the TV companies are too tied into fleecing their customers with unreasonable bundles (I don’t watch sports; why can’t I get movies without sport?). This is probably why Apple got tired of negotiating and has decided to start producing its own content. 

GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 8 of 22
    andyorkneyandyorkney Posts: 8unconfirmed, member
    For the rest of the world there is no TV app or Movies Anywhere (yet) so no way to avoid the butt ugly, cludgy, webapp interface. Prime Video threw up an unnavigable error 5 times in first 20 minutes of use. I had to force quit the app to get back in. Not a great for those many users who don’t even know that you can bring up the fan of running apps with a double click of the “screen” button on the ATV 4 remote then swipe the app closed. 

Once content is playing however, the quality jumps to a much more polished experience. 

So so right now I’m wishing Apple would give the rest of the world the TVapp, Netflix would join that party, and Amazon get some decent programmers to build a decent ATV front end for Prime Video
  • Reply 9 of 22
    first world problems
  • Reply 10 of 22
    digitoldigitol Posts: 276member
    The UI is just fine. Have you seen amazon prime video on a ROKU? disaaaaaaaster. Mixes payed content with free, even using filters search etc. Lame. Have you experienced the annoying pain in the azzzz Netflix app with Apple TV Generation 4-4k..??? Disaaaaaaaaster x2!! - I mean cmon, titles that auto-play loops, plastic rudely the theme music of the video. Terrible. Horrible. Rude. Trust me the Amazon Video app for Apple TV is just fine. Oh and don't even get me started on dynamic ui's ......  !!&*&(%^$#($#(*&%.
  • Reply 11 of 22
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    This is wonderful!
    Apple TV is wonderful!
    ... Or, they would be if there was anything on them that I wanted to watch...

• Reply 12 of 22
    lkrupp said:
    gtj333 said:

Actually, perhaps you should consider giving it a rest. AppleTV has become a fairly mediocre product with a clunky interface. While the the other offerings are not all much better, AppleTV is nothing special at this point. 

I basically use use it for photo streaming and music match, not much more. Pretty much do my movies, TV shows, Netflix, etc thorough my Comcast cable, and Amazon, Hulu etc directly from my TV set.
  • Reply 13 of 22
    Amazon is phoning it in!
    They are bad at software but they are intentionally making their video app only “good enough”. 
    Amazon is not interested in making great software for Apple’s platform unless it directly impacts their bottom line. 
    Retail is their bread and butter. 
    Audio and Video are hobbies that help make Prime sticky.
    edited December 2017 GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 14 of 22
    lkrupp said:
    gtj333 said:

Actually, perhaps you should consider giving it a rest. AppleTV has become a fairly mediocre product with a clunky interface. While the the other offerings are not all much better, AppleTV is nothing special at this point. 

I basically use use it for photo streaming and music match, not much more. Pretty much do my movies, TV shows, Netflix, etc thorough my Comcast cable, and Amazon, Hulu etc directly from my TV set.
    Lol “while other offerings are not at all much better, Apple TV is nothing special at this point”. 

How is the ATV interface “clunky” when you’re comparing it to “other offerings are not much better” 

So basically everything sucks? Solid logic. I find that really helpful. /s

I love how people buy a tiny black box and expect it to what? Tickle their genitals? It streams stuff. What has Apple done better than the rest? 1) The UI. Which is basically the only thing that matters in a streaming box,(ATV is hands down the best) 2) speed/ efficiency/ power (ATV wins this hands down). 3) Apps/ Games  ATV’s App Store is far better than any competitor and for that matter the number of available apps far outstrips ATV’s competitors. 4) Bringing it all together (music, movies, tv and games all in one place. 

There is no way the built in apps on your tv or especially the “Comcast interface” are faster or easier to navigate. Never mind what you’re going to do in a year or two when these apps don’t update and are woefully in need of one. Can’t wait to see people upgrading their TVs just to get an app update. 

Just because this category of device and services is in its infancy, doesn’t mean Apple isn’t doing better than their competitors. You’re expectations are probably a little unrealistic. If you’re only using your ATV to stream photos you obviously haven’t used it or found use for it and you’re happy with a sub-par experience. 

Personally I enjoy having one box and NOT switching from cable service, to game device, to BD player, to streaming stick etc,
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 15 of 22
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,153member
    lkrupp said:
    gtj333 said:

Lol “while other offerings are not at all much better, Apple TV is nothing special at this point”.

What has Apple done better than the rest? 1) The UI. Which is basically the only thing that matters in a streaming box,(ATV is hands down the best) 2) speed/ efficiency/ power (ATV wins this hands down). 3) Apps/ Games  ATV’s App Store is far better than any competitor and for that matter the number of available apps far outstrips ATV’s competitors. 4) Bringing it all together (music, movies, tv and games all in one place. 
    ...Nvidia Shield TV for speed and power and gaming, and a couple of big bonuses with built-in home control hub and Google Assiistant. Others might argue for the Roku Ultra for the really good remote, media inclusiveness, and a greater number of media apps. Price-wise it would be hard to beat the Roku's value per dollar either. For you Apple TV would be the only option obviously, and a whole lot of others share your view. The Apple ecosystem has it's privileges. :)
    edited December 2017
  • Reply 16 of 22
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,821member
    polymnia said:

I’m watching Thursday Night Football through Amazon Prine now and it is one of the best looking broadcasts I’ve seen. That counts the Twitter streams from last year, cable & OTA (my previous favorite). 

I’m almost convinced the broadcast is in 4K. But I think it is just nice upsampling of a high quality HD stream. 
    I’m on the 4th gen (no 4k), but the Prime broadcast was notably worse than OTA HD where I ended up watching the game. The Prime version was missing frames or something, seemed laggy and less detailed than the OTA HD broadcast. Was not impressed. 
  • Reply 17 of 22
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,821member

lkrupp said:
    gtj333 said:

Disagree, ATV is a joy to use while I’ve never used a TV system that wasn’t clunky. 
  • Reply 18 of 22
    What a bunch of whiny crybabies.  If you don't like it, shut up and use the Prime Video through your smart TV.  I always used Prime Video with my TiVo, but I also rarely watch anything on Prime and I never buy digital downloads on Prime.
  • Reply 19 of 22
    lkrupp said:
    gtj333 said:

How is the ATV interface “clunky” when you’re comparing it to “other offerings are not much better” 

So basically everything sucks? Solid logic. I find that really helpful. /s

I love how people buy a tiny black box and expect it to what? Tickle their genitals? It streams stuff. What has Apple done better than the rest? 1) The UI. Which is basically the only thing that matters in a streaming box,(ATV is hands down the best) 2) speed/ efficiency/ power (ATV wins this hands down). 3) Apps/ Games  ATV’s App Store is far better than any competitor and for that matter the number of available apps far outstrips ATV’s competitors. 4) Bringing it all together (music, movies, tv and games all in one place. 

There is no way the built in apps on your tv or especially the “Comcast interface” are faster or easier to navigate. Never mind what you’re going to do in a year or two when these apps don’t update and are woefully in need of one. Can’t wait to see people upgrading their TVs just to get an app update. 

Just because this category of device and services is in its infancy, doesn’t mean Apple isn’t doing better than their competitors. You’re expectations are probably a little unrealistic. If you’re only using your ATV to stream photos you obviously haven’t used it or found use for it and you’re happy with a sub-par experience. 

Personally I enjoy having one box and NOT switching from cable service, to game device, to BD player, to streaming stick etc,
    Clearly you have no clue at all re what you’re getting foul-mouthed about, but hey, that’s your wont. 

If you enjoy it the way it currently works, good for you! 

Ah, the curse of low expectations.... never fails. 
  • Reply 20 of 22
    polymniapolymnia Posts: 1,080member
    polymnia said:

I’m on the 4th gen (no 4k), but the Prime broadcast was notably worse than OTA HD where I ended up watching the game. The Prime version was missing frames or something, seemed laggy and less detailed than the OTA HD broadcast. Was not impressed. 
    I was viewing on the ATV 4K on a 4K set. My internet connection is the fastest my ISP offers. I’m sure all that helps. The motion was about the same quality I’m used to in HD OTA. But static images (like the stat bar at the bottom of the screen) was in near-perfect 4K res when I walked up close and peeped the pixels. Same on stationary graphics during commercial breaks. 

Ive heard that there are some practical limitations to how well a live feed can be compressed for real-time streaming. Which makes me wonder if the graphics & commercials are always going to be the best looking parts of live sports broadcasts.