2018 OLED iPhones might feature single cell L-shaped battery design, all models to bump ca...

Posted:
in iPhone edited June 2020
Apple is developing L-shaped batteries to power two new OLED iPhone models set to debut next fall, according to KGI analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, who notes all three handsets expected to launch next year will boast increased energy capacities.

In a note to investors seen by AppleInsider, Ming-Chi Kuo said he believes Apple is working with Korean company LGC on the supposed L-shaped battery design.

As smartphones decrease in size, manufacturers are becoming increasingly hard pressed to find space to pack in operational components. Batteries, typically one of the largest parts in a given handset build, are particularly troublesome as technological constraints limit their design to symmetrical shapes like rectangles.

To pack in as much energy density as possible into iPhone X, Apple decided to build in two battery cells that roughly form an "L" shape in the phone's glass chassis. Rumors leading up to the phone's release claimed the company would employ a single-cell L-shaped battery, but the technology was apparently not ready in time.

If Apple and LGC work out manufacturing hurdles in time for mass production, the next-generation 5.8-inch OLED iPhone will be powered by a 2,900- to 3,000-mAh battery, Kuo says. A larger 6.5-inch OLED model is anticipated to employ a two-cell design with a capacity between 3,300 and 3,400 mAh. By comparison, the dual-cell unit in iPhone X is rated at 2,716 mAh.

To keep costs down, Kuo expects Apple to stick with a rectangular battery design for the rumored 6.1-inch LCD iPhone set to debut alongside the flagship handsets next year. Like the OLED models, however, the LCD version is predicted to boast a power-hungry TrueDepth camera and will therefore receive a boost in battery capacity compared to this year's iPhone 8 series.

Apple's new battery design is expected to increase the going rate of rigid-flex printed circuit boards (RFPCB) to increase 40 to 50 percent year-over-year. Larger battery capacities require an increased battery cell area, which in turn necessitates a larger FPCB. Additionally, the L-shaped design is more complicated to manufacture than traditional shapes, and are thus more expensive to manufacture, Kuo says.

The analyst predicts Apple to ramp up shipments of its 2018 iPhone lineup earlier than it did this year's models, meaning RFPCB production for said devices will likewise jump 20 to 30 percent year-over-year.

All current iPhone battery suppliers, including Unitech, Compeq and Unimicron, will benefit from the ASP increase.

Kuo expects Apple to release a trio of iPhones in 2018, including two OLED models and a budget LCD variant. Alongside a next-generation 5.8-inch iPhone X model, Apple is rumored to release a plus-sized handset with a massive 6.5-inch OLED screen.

As for the LCD version, rumblings earlier this week suggest Apple might return to a metal case design in order to cut down on costs.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Ming begins his annual exercise in throwing shit at the wall. 

This is the tech equivalent of going to a clairvoyant show:

“I’m receiving a message from the ether … it’s so very faint … is there a John in the theatre? Yes? Someone called John? And is he … wait … it’s coming through now … is he … is John wearing shoes? I have a message from the other side for someone called John who is here today and is wearing shoes…”
    edited December 2017 suddenly newtontmaybeowulfschmidtlkrupprandominternetpersonStrangeDaysdoozydozen
  • Reply 2 of 11
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,098member
    I have a 7 plus. My next iphone will be the iPhone SE form factor. It really is the best designed phone, other than the 4s.
    albegarc
  • Reply 3 of 11
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Pretty soon one will be able to jump start your car with an iPhone!!!

just pulling your leg.   
    aegeanavon b7
  • Reply 4 of 11
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Rayz2016 said:

This is the tech equivalent of going to a clairvoyant show:

“I’m receiving a message from the ether … it’s so very faint … is there a John in the theatre? Yes? Someone called John? And is he … wait … it’s coming through now … is he … is John wearing shoes? I have a message from the other side for someone called John who is here today and is wearing shoes…”
    Actually i dont doubt one bit that Apple is trying to advance battery tech.   As to the specifics Ming or whomever here, has that is what a rumors site is all about.  

As for John i had to laugh a bit, you pegged that little niche perfectly.  
    doozydozen
  • Reply 5 of 11
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    wizard69 said:

just pulling your leg.   
    Isn't that the Tesla Model 3.   You use your phone to unlock the car.  No more FOB
    edited December 2017
  • Reply 6 of 11
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    If demand for batteries increases due to Tesla and other car manufacturers making electrical cars and home energy storage, the price of batteries could increase.
    I wonder how many iPhones are the equivalent to a model 3.   Musk just has to figure out how to get the automation working in a both factories to speed. 
  • Reply 7 of 11
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    k2kw said:
    If demand for batteries increases due to Tesla and other car manufacturers making electrical cars and home energy storage, the price of batteries could increase.
    I wonder how many iPhones are the equivalent to a model 3.   Musk just has to figure out how to get the automation working in a both factories to speed. 
    It appears the Model 3 comes in a range of 50–75 kWh, or 50,000–75,000 Wh. The iPhone X is 10.35 Wh so it would be enough lithium for ≈ 4,831–7,246 batteries.

To put another way, let's estimate 250MM iPhones sold for calendar year 2017 and use the iPhone X's battery size as an average capacity. That's 2,587,500,000 Wh or 2,587,500 kWh, which equals 34,500–51,750 Model 3's.
    edited December 2017 doozydozen
  • Reply 8 of 11
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    Jony Ive said the iPhone X design was locked a year before launch. I question that Apple is still in the development stage for the fall 2018 iphones. 
    doozydozenwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 11
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,590member
    wizard69 said:

just pulling your leg.   
    LOL, although some phones can actually use internal power to reverse charge other devices.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,336member
    tyler82 said:
    I have a 7 plus. My next iphone will be the iPhone SE form factor. It really is the best designed phone, other than the 4s.
    In your opinion maybe. I love my 8 plus. Didn’t go for the X this year and waited to see if they will come out with a larger size next year. Fits my hands perfectly and honestly there is no comparison between the screens on the Plus vs the SE. if you want the smaller form factor the SE makes sense, but the screen on the 8 Plus is gorgeous and battery life is top notch. Of course this is just my opinion. 😎
    doozydozenwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 11
    Rayz2016 said:
    Ming is not the only one throwing shit at the wall:

Would the author kindly define FPCB (without the R) and ASP?  Most style manuals suggest defining abbreviations and acronyms before using them.
    netmage