Apple now allows all developers to offer app pre-orders on App Store

Posted:
in iPhone edited December 2017
After experimenting with app pre-orders like Super Mario Run last year, Apple is opening the App Store functionality to all comers, a major shift in how the online storefront operates.

Advertisement for Super Mario Run pre-orders from 2016.

As noted by Mac Stories, Apple updated its iTunes Connect website on Monday to publicize the new functionality, which is available across all Apple platforms.

Like Super Mario Run in 2016, developers can put their app up for pre-order on the App Store up to three months prior to actual release, allowing customers to browse product pages before an app hits virtual store shelves. Previously, an app's page would go live on Apple's public-facing servers only when the software saw release.

The policy change grants developers an additional marketing window and provides key insight into pre-release interest.

Under Apple's system, customers who committed to a pre-order are notified when that app sees release. The title is then automatically downloaded. In the case of paid apps, customers are automatically charged prior to download.

Setting up app pre-orders is a straightforward process accessed through the iTunes Connect homepage. Developers interested in taking advantage of the feature submit their app for review and choose a release date between two and 90 days in the future. If and when the app is approved, it can be made available for pre-order by selecting the "Release as Pre-Order" option from the Pricing and Availability section in iTunes Connect.

Developers are allowed to submit new versions of the app or change final pricing during the pre-order period. If an app's price is shifted higher, however, customers will be charged the lower price they first accepted.

Finally, Apple notes developers can set up in-app purchases during the pre-release period, but those assets will only appear on an app's product page after the title goes live.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    Screw pre-orders. It has allowed the game industry to screw consumers and release broken and unoptimized games that never get fixed. Software is bad enough without paying for unfinished or unmade product. What's next? Steam-like paying for "Early Access" to apps that developers won't ever finish? 
  • Reply 2 of 7
    what the hell is the benefit of preordering an app? I pre-order games but that’s so I can pre-downloaded the hefty 20-50GBs to be ready to play right away. I think I can wait the 30 seconds to download an app when it goes live. 
    edited December 2017
  • Reply 3 of 7
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Pre-ordering an app is one of those things in life I would never understand.
    dysamoria
  • Reply 4 of 7
    supadav03 said:
    what the hell is the benefit of preordering an app? I pre-order games but that’s so I can pre-downloaded the hefty 20-50GBs to be ready to play right away. I think I can wait the 30 seconds to download an app when it goes live. 
    Reasons to pre-order might include reduced cost or free additional content.
    edited December 2017
  • Reply 5 of 7
    What we really need is free trials. Why is Apple on against this?
  • Reply 6 of 7
    tokyojimu said:
    What we really need is free trials. Why is Apple on against this?
    That’s why some devs offer both a free and a paid version of their app.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    HyperealityHypereality Posts: 58unconfirmed, member
    Some of my customers want another version of my app and its convenient for them to place an order and get it when its released.  

With a pre-order and a window of 8 weeks it will allow me to beta test the app,  see what the demand is and possibly add features based on market demand and my beta test results.  I can also introduce the app for a pre-order price to attract existing users and reward their loyalty with that discount and then put the price up after the release day. 
    jony0