Apple Pay picks up new card issuers in US, China, France, Finland & Italy

Posted:
in iPhone
Apple has added dozens of new banks and credit unions to its list compatible with Apple Pay, focusing primarily on the U.S., but with a number of international expansions.

These include the Bank of Quanzhou and YangQuan City Commercial Bank in China, and Arkea Banque Privee, Credit Mutuel de Bretagne, Credit Mutuel du Sud-Ouest, Credit Mutuel Massif Central, Fortuneo Banque, Max, and Lydia in France. Italian users can turn to Hype and Nexi -- including cards from CartaSi and ICBPI -- and Finland now supports Edenred (Ticket Restaurant cards).

The complete list of U.S. additions is below:
  • Act 1st Federal Credit Union
  • Adirondack Trust Company
  • AllWealth Federal Credit Union
  • Auburn Community Federal Credit Union
  • Bradford National Bank
  • Cedar Falls Community Credit Union
  • City of Boston Credit Union
  • Dallas Capital Bank
  • Decatur County Bank
  • Deerwood Bank
  • Farmers Bank and Trust
  • Farmers State Bank [IA]
  • First National Bank of Anson
  • First Pryority Bank
  • First Utah Bank
  • FNB Anson
  • GECU
  • Heritage Bank [WA]
  • HomeStreet Bank
  • Lowry State Bank
  • Marion Community Credit Union
  • Maspeth Federal Savings
  • Mechanics Bank
  • Meredith Village Savings Bank
  • Merrimack County Savings Bank
  • Mocse Federal Credit Union
  • Northern Bank
  • Peoples National Bank of Kewanee
  • Primebank
  • Quantum Credit Union
  • R.I.A. Federal Credit Union
  • Redding Bank of Commerce
  • School District 3 Federal Credit Union
  • School Employees Lorain County Credit Union
  • Somerset Trust Company
  • State Highway Patrol Federal Credit Union
  • The Citizens Bank [SC]
  • The Clay City Banking Company
  • The Harbor Bank of Maryland
  • United Business & Industry
  • Valley National Bank [both NY and OK]
  • VisionBank of Iowa
  • Webster First Federal Credit Union
While Apple Pay is now available in a number of countries worldwide, Apple is still filling in major gaps. The next rumored destination is Brazil, a country of over 207 million people.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    leptonlepton Posts: 111member
    By now they must have nearly every bank in the universe. But what they need to add is more retailers!
  • Reply 2 of 12
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    lepton said:
    By now they must have nearly every bank in the universe. But what they need to add is more retailers!
    One of my credit union's are still not support and neither are others in the area. So no, not every bank is supported with ApplePay. There's only one credit union/bank in my area that supports Apple Pay.
    edited December 2017
  • Reply 3 of 12
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    lepton said:
    1) If they're still adding banks then there are clearly more banks to be added.

2) There are probably 200 countries that still don't have any Apple Pay support.

3) More retailers are needed for a tipping point to be achieved where we go from being surprised that a business supports *Pay to being surprised that a business doesn't support *Pay, but that was always going to come after the financial institution support (at least in the US—in Europe, for example, it's mostly waiting for financial institutions and Apple to ink deals).

4) If I recall correctly, earlier this year it was reported that over 50% of businesses support *Pay. That's a faster adoption rate than I expected for this service. Remember that this is a radical change that requires many disparate parts to be onboard, as well as a cultural change. I think it's moving along nicely.

(*Pay refers to Apple Pay, Android Pay, Samsung Pay, as well as every other service that uses the bank-centralized system for secure payments via CE.)
    edited December 2017
  • Reply 4 of 12
    In CZ we have more than 90% of retailer ready for *Pay... android pay arrived last week, hope Apple keeps up soon...
  • Reply 5 of 12
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    Soli said:
    lepton said:

4) If I recall correctly, earlier this year it was reported that over 50% of businesses support *Pay. That's a faster adoption rate than I expected for this service. Remember that this is a radical change that requires many disparate parts to be onboard, as well as a cultural change. I think it's moving along nicely.

If we could only get the damn SOB people to stop writing checks at the checkout. I cannot friggin'stand waiting in line while someone writes a check to pay for their stuff. And then of course, they have to try and balance their god damn checkbook right then and there and god forbid they have the check pre-written (minus the amount), or hell, even their checkbook out ahead of time. 

*gets off soapbox* 
  • Reply 6 of 12
    FolioFolio Posts: 698member
    Soli said:
    lepton said:
    By now they must have nearly every bank in the universe. But what they need to add is more retailers!

3) More retailers are needed for a tipping point to be achieved where we go from being surprised that a business supports *Pay to being surprised that a business doesn't support *Pay, but that was always going to come after the financial institution support (at least in the US—in Europe, for example, it's mostly waiting for financial institutions and Apple to ink deals).

------
    Yet sometimes ApplePay is quietly there but not advertised. Not until making transaction at National Gallery of Art did I see ApplePay logo pop up on the little screen, so I put back my credit card and bought Vermeer and friends new book with my phone. 
  • Reply 7 of 12
    macxpress said:
    Soli said:
    lepton said:

If we could only get the damn SOB people to stop writing checks at the checkout. I cannot friggin'stand waiting in line while someone writes a check to pay for their stuff. And then of course, they have to try and balance their god damn checkbook right then and there and god forbid they have the check pre-written (minus the amount), or hell, even their checkbook out ahead of time. 

*gets off soapbox* 
    1)I see that very rarely where I am. Usually an retirement-age person at a grocery store. I haven't even had checks for probably over a decade now. If I need a check—for some reason—I just do it online via my bank's web portal. If it really comes down to it I'd do a cashier's cheque, but I don't think that's ever happened. I even paid for my penultimate automobile with my credit card, which I had to do in two payments due to my credit limit and, which I immediately paid off. This took a couple days between payments due to how the payments are posted, but I was able to get plenty of money back on my next billing cycle. If I buy a house like that it would allow a free renovation of a room or all new furniture for free.

2) Remember when ATMs weren't common and CC's were a bigger PITA than writing a check, so if you wanted cash for the weekend you had to make it to the bank before closing time on Friday or apply to your local grocery store to have a check cashing card? Banks seem to mostly be open on Saturdays now, but then it seemed like they were always closed on the weekends. For the most part this was beyond my time, but I do remember my mother doing this and the stress of it all when she was still living paycheck to paycheck.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    Folio said:
    Yet sometimes ApplePay is quietly there but not advertised. Not until making transaction at National Gallery of Art did I see ApplePay logo pop up on the little screen, so I put back my credit card and bought Vermeer and friends new book with my phone. 
    1) The number of mom-and-pop shops with the, as one owner of a sub shop called it when I pointed out the NFC symbol, the "picture of a leaf" is pretty in my experience. Except for Ralph's (grocery) and CVS (pharmacy) I rarely have a need for my physical cards. Even MoviePass—which is a physical card that is effectively like any other 16-digit card and is serviced through MasterCard—I can sign-in via their iPhone app (which is a requirement) and then purchase the ticket from the theater online using 1Password to input the data without ever pulling out the card; that's not a *Pay service, but it does allow me to forego having to use a physical card.

2) What is Vermeer? I only know of the Dutch painter and I assume you're not taking about buying artwork? Side note: Check out the documentary Tim's Vermeer (2013) if you haven't seen it.

3) Apple offers free decals for merchants. I ordered the maximum, which I keep in my vehicles, and hand out to places that offer the service but don't advertise it. One pack is likely more than enough since they contain many different sized two-way decals.

• Reply 9 of 12
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    macxpress said:
    Soli said:
    lepton said:

*gets off soapbox* 
    I haven’t seen anyone write a cheque in a shop in fifteen years. If a utility company annoys me, I take a small amount of pleasure in writing them a cheque instead of transferring the money directly. 
  • Reply 10 of 12
    Rayz2016 said:
    macxpress said:
    Soli said:
    lepton said:

*gets off soapbox* 
    I haven’t seen anyone write a cheque in a shop in fifteen years. If a utility company annoys me, I take a small amount of pleasure in writing them a cheque instead of transferring the money directly. 
    1) Now that you mean utility companies I guess I kinda sorta do digital checks on some of their websites for payment using my bank account and routing number—which I hate—but some don't take CC/Debit cards and others charge a fee for the "convenience."

2) If you really want to stick it to them with the least about of personal hassle you maybe able to use your bank's check creation service to, say, a $1 check that gets mailed to them each month but then submit it x-number of times for the value owed. Or, you could do pennies like this guy did with the DMV after getting the runaround.

• Reply 11 of 12
    riverko said:
    In CZ we have more than 90% of retailer ready for *Pay... android pay arrived last week, hope Apple keeps up soon...
    I used Apple Pay in Prague daily from March 2015 until I moved back to the States in May 2016.  Even the mom and pop corner stores all had touchless terminals.  Since it was new tech back then it was hilarious to watch their eyes bug out paying with my iPhone or Apple Watch.  Obviously I had American cards, so yes it would be great if Czech banks would get on board.  AirBank especially was great to work with.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    Germany....?