LG may supply OLED for Apple's 6.5" edge-to-edge 'iPhone X Plus'

Posted:
in iPhone
Apple and LG Display are allegedly finalizing talks on an OLED supply deal, which could see the latter provide panels for a rumored 6.5-inch iPhone, which is believed to be a jumbo-sized version of the iPhone X.

LG is likely to ship a relatively small number of panels -- 15 to 16 million -- in the second half of the year, according to Korea Herald sources. That contrasts sharply with iPhone X panel supplier Samsung Display, which is thought to be churning out nearly 10 million units per month.

A deal was foreshadowed in December when LG submitted a regulatory filing in response to local media claims.

"Regarding the OLED supply deal for Apple's iPhone X, nothing has been set in detail," the company wrote. "When anything is confirmed in detail, we will announce it, or [otherwise an announcement will be made] in a month."

That could mean a public statement will be made within days, though it's unlikely LG will say exactly which device it's providing parts for. In fact suppliers rarely even acknowledge Apple as a client, presumably because of enforced secrecy.

Earlier this year, Apple is said to have pumped $2.7 billion into LG as an advance payment for OLED panels. At the time it was thought that the order was for panels shipping in 2019, but it could be that the terms have evolved.

Apple is expected to ship two OLED iPhones in 2018, including a 5.8-inch model and one measuring 6.2 to 6.5 inches. A 6.1-inch LCD iPhone could meanwhile give people an affordable alternative.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,904member
    Interested in LCD version of iPhone X, bit cheaper and larger(6.1"). Will Apple call OLED 6.5", 2018 iPhone X Plus ?
    edited January 2018
  • Reply 2 of 16
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,014member
    Guess I'll get the X now and the X Plus next year.  Thanks upgrade program!
    supadav03mavemufckuduwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 16
    Still hoping for SE type form factor. I don't need a giant phone that feels cheap...
    Anilu_777mattinoz
  • Reply 4 of 16
    If a 6.5 inch X is launched this year if will definitely upgrade to that model. I love my X but have been conditioned to carrying larger phones after having the Plus for the last few years. Wouldn’t be bothered by carrying a larger phone again, especially for a screen that large.
    mavemufcAnilu_777watto_cobraredgeminipa
  • Reply 5 of 16
    Really cannot figure out how anyone (maybe women with large purses) carries 6.5" phone...it's just too damn big...the X is perfect for my right front pants pocket....I hope they always have that size of phone. If I want a larger screen...I just grab my iPad.
    kudu
  • Reply 6 of 16
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    wood1208 said:
    Interested in LCD version of iPhone X, bit cheaper and larger(6.1"). Will Apple call OLED 6.5", 2018 iPhone X Plus ?
    Is LCD technology feasible for the iPhone X’s folded display?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 16
    mavemufcmavemufc Posts: 326member
    $2.7 Billion, god damn thats a lot of money for phone screens.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 16
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    wood1208 said:
    6.1" LCD edge to edge iPhone: bad rumor! The reason Apple can go edge to edge design with round corners because of the OLED. Can't do that with LCD. BTW, 6.1" is bullshit. I don't see the benefit of making 0.3" extra on a screen beside causing shitloads of problems for App developers.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 16
    tshapitshapi Posts: 369member
    This is what Apple did with the 5 first they made it taller the they made it wider with the 6. 6.1 may help Apple bring the phone back to a 16:9 display versus the 18:9 it is now. I like my X  i feel like I get much better battery especially since I always have the battery saver turned on. And  there was a rumor Japan display was coming out with a lcd display with similar properties to oled  
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 16
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,300member
    It's not truly edge-to-edge as long as the notch remains.
  • Reply 11 of 16
    bluefire1 said:
    The ears go to the edge, so... close enough. The iPhone X still has less overall bezel than other "edge to edge" designs on the market.
  • Reply 12 of 16
    bluefire1 said:
    It's edge-to-edge-to-edge, just not dge-to-edge-to-edge-to-edge.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    Soli said:
    wood1208 said:
    Nope. But you dont have to fold it to get the M shape and edge to edge. As i have said trillion of times.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    ksec said:
    Soli said:
    wood1208 said:
    Nope. But you dont have to fold it to get the M shape and edge to edge. As i have said trillion of times.
    I don't recall you stating that or reading about vendors creating full-layer LCDs that can be bent or cut to the proper shape without taking up any more space. Do you at least have a link to one of these vendors showcasing their applicable product?
  • Reply 15 of 16
    Still hoping for SE type form factor. I don't need a giant phone that feels cheap...
    No one asked but thanks 
  • Reply 16 of 16
    No one asked but thanks 
    Why does it feel cheap?