First Alert debuts Onelink Safe & Sound smoke alarm/speaker with HomeKit, AirPlay 2 suppor...

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2018
Smoke detector manufacturer First Alert is getting into the premium speaker business with its Onelink Safe & Sound smoke and carbon monoxide alarm, an in-ceiling device that boasts integration with Apple's HomeKit platform.

A 2-in-1 smoke and carbon dioxide system alarm, Safe & Sound works like other hardwired internet-connected First Alert products to send alerts to users' mobile devices when an emergency is detected.

Unlike past products, however, the new device comes packed with high-end speakers and integrated noise-cancelling microphones, allowing it to transform into an in-ceiling entertainment system with support for both Apple's Siri and Amazon's Alexa voice assistants.

According to First Alert, the speakers deliver immersive, omni-directional audio with "crisp vocals and powerful bass," akin to more common bookshelf speakers. Embedded microphones are able to hear user commands even while music is playing, granting voice control from anywhere in the house.

While Alexa Voice Services come as an built-in feature, First Alert says AirPlay 2 will be integrated "upon availability," meaning home owners can use their iOS device to play Apple Music tracks and other content through the ceiling-mounted speakers. Considering smoke alarms are typically installed around the house, the Safe & Sound concept serves as an ideal counterpart to AirPlay 2 as users can leverage Apple's wireless protocol to play back and control content on a room-by-room basis.

HomeKit compatibility ties data from Safe & Sound to the Home app for control, monitoring and management.

The device installs into existing smoke alarm receptacles and connects to house wiring like a standard smoke alarm. On the backend, Safe & Sound connects to the Onelink Home companion app, which lets users test and silence alarms, control entertainment settings and adjust nightlight color and brightness.

First Alert's Safe & Sound is expected to ship in April for a suggested retail price of $249.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    racerhomie3racerhomie3 Posts: 1,264member
    What’s wrong with AirPlay 1?
    I still use it everyday!
    Its much better than Bluetooth speakers
  • Reply 2 of 13
    lolliverlolliver Posts: 493member
    So does this mean Airplay2 will allow the device to act as a basic Siri compatible smart speaker? If that's the case it will be interesting to see what other types of devices will incorporate Airplay 2/Siri. No need for standalone devices similar to the Echo Dot if your smoke detector/thermostat or whatever other smart devices you have include built in access to Siri.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    Please say it is better than the previous First Alert products I had to throw out even tho I bought them as they were Apple Home kit approved . They kept dropping from the network and sound false alarms. Ironically my Nest is doing great.  That was defiantly a missed product .
    iCintos
  • Reply 4 of 13
    lolliverlolliver Posts: 493member
    What’s wrong with AirPlay 1?
    I still use it everyday!
    Its much better than Bluetooth speakers

Nothing is wrong with Airplay 1, it just doesn't do as much as AirPlay 2. Would be interesting to see if they can release it with AirPlay 1 and then upgrade to 2 later.

I would be cautious about that though after the number of devices shipping with "support for HomeKit coming in a future upgrade" that never came to be.
    patchythepirate
  • Reply 5 of 13
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,056member
    I'm buying when someone makes a smoke alarm that I can silence by yelling at it: "shut up, i'm just cooking!"
    iCintoslollivercolinngGeorgeBMacsuperklotoncheesehead davejony0
  • Reply 6 of 13
    colinngcolinng Posts: 116member
    eightzero said:
    I'm buying when someone makes a smoke alarm that I can silence by yelling at it: "shut up, i'm just cooking!"
    Thought that was funny, though arguably a better ventilator for the kitchen would probably produce better results long-term (including health, and reducing the amount of oxidized oil you'd need to scrub off). 
  • Reply 7 of 13
    Once again the lack of an editor/proof reader shows up. “A 2-in-1 smoke and carbon dioxide system, ...”.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    Since smoke detectors typically have a 10 year expiration date... I assume with a $249 price tag, there is some modular way to replace the smoke detector portion of the device without having to throw away the entire thing? 
    zroger73jony0
  • Reply 9 of 13
    zroger73zroger73 Posts: 787member
    Since smoke detectors typically have a 10 year expiration date... I assume with a $249 price tag, there is some modular way to replace the smoke detector portion of the device without having to throw away the entire thing? 
    How many 10+ year-old wireless speakers and voice assistants do you still have in operation?

New and improved technology will typically drive a person to replace a device before a decade.

I have a Sony "smart" TV that I purchased in 2012. Most of the "smart" features still work, but the improved speed, picture quality, energy efficiency, and size of newer TVs will prompt me to replace it long before the hardware ceases to function.
    cheesehead dave
  • Reply 10 of 13
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,056member
    colinng said:
    eightzero said:
    Thought that was funny, though arguably a better ventilator for the kitchen would probably produce better results long-term (including health, and reducing the amount of oxidized oil you'd need to scrub off). 
    Sure, if you have several thousand to spend on ductwork in a 50 year old house. And I have a double sawbuck here that says even if you do that, the stupid, unreliable smoke alarms will still go off. 
  • Reply 11 of 13
    Just to clarify. The Siri support will only come from my Apple device sending the music via AirPlay 2. It will not have “Hey Siri” as an alternative to saying “Alexa” as this is the second device being described (1st being the shower) as having Siri support. Which to me describes it as being an alternative to Apples HomePod. 
  • Reply 12 of 13
    eightzero said:
    I need one with a bacon sensor. The only time my Nest ever goes off incorrectly is when I'm doing bacon in the oven and generate a bit of smoke.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    longpathlongpath Posts: 393member
    Any update on when Airplay2 will be available? It’s 2 years later and the one I just got still doesn’t have it.