Wacom Intuos tablet - which size?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
6x8 or 9x12? Will be using Illustrator, Photoshop, Quark on powerbook G4. Any user experience would be appreciated. thx

Graphic Design Student (career switch) recent PC switcher (wife and kids too!!)

long time reader, first time post

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    [quote]Originally posted by Kstyle:

<strong>6x8 or 9x12? Will be using Illustrator, Photoshop, Quark on powerbook G4. Any user experience would be appreciated. thx

Graphic Design Student (career switch) recent PC switcher (wife and kids too!!)

long time reader, first time post</strong><hr></blockquote>

Depending on what you already have or are doing....

1) How big is your desk (Yes this is important)

2) Your budget

3) Are you running dual monitor

Personally a 6x8 is good enough for many people's need. I have dual monitor setup. I setup the tablet to cover the entire first screen and 1/6 of the second screen.

12x9 is good when you are doing CAD tracing.....but it's too expensive.

[ 12-03-2002: Message edited by: Leonis ]</p>
  • Reply 2 of 9
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    I have an intuos tablet A5 (8*6) : and it's largely sufficiant for common use. A4 tablet are too expansive. A6 tablets are a little too small.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    All the suites at Turner Effects had 6x8 tablets, with the exception of the Flint and Flame rooms (Well, and the Quantel suites, but you get what you get with those systems). I ran the After Effects suites with the 6x8 with really no complaints.

I'd still prefer the 9x12; I like having a larger space to work with, and my desk allows enough room.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    I think 6 x 8 is the perfect size... I've been using it here at work for 3 1/2 years. I wouldn't go any smaller. However, when I use the tablets at my girlfriend's departement (9 x 12? maybe bigger) I feel they're too big.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    Not to mention that if you are using a big tablet your arm will have to have a lot of big movements which translate to sore elbow in 2 hours.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    kwondokwondo Posts: 217member
    Leonis is right! I have the 9x12 and it's too much real estate. I wish I had some money to afford another tablet, this time a 6x8.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    6x8 is perfect...I use it for professional retouching...and if professional retouchers use it well then....haha

6x8 would be good, even that takes up to much space...but i wouldnt' suggest using the mouse the comes with it.

9x12....too honk'n huge
  • Reply 8 of 9
    rooroo Posts: 162member
    i have a 9x12 that has served me faithfully for many years, and i love it. its great for how i work-- as i sit weird in my chair (you should see how i mangle these things), and use the tablet propped on my knees/lap sorta. however, i now have a much smaller desk than i had then, and not being able to use it any other way is a bit tough. i'll probably be getting a new one soon, and will opt for 6x8 as it would be easier to transport with my soon-to-be-new tibook.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Thanks everyone, that's the kind of feedback I was looking for. 6x8 it is.