SimpliSafe updates the look of its home security system, teases future smart lock and outd...

Posted:
in General Discussion
Smart home security firm SimpliSafe has performed a major refresh of its product line, collaborating with global design firm Ideo to redesign its devices with a modern look and smaller sensors, as well as improving the underlying technology the security system itself.

The third-generation of SimpliSafe's security system is less obtrusive compared to the previous generation, with all elements made to be less obvious when placed in a home. The included sensors are half the size of the second generation, while also providing double the range, increasing the coverage area for the system as a whole.

The accompanying keypad is now soft and smooth, waking its larger and brighter display with a touch and using illuminated keys, and having double the signal range of the earlier version. The wirelessly-connected wall-mounted components as a whole have swept-front surfaces and tapered backs, making them more easily installable into corners and tight spaces.

The new, larger base station features an LED light ring to advise users of the system's status, with voice prompts available to help guide users through the system's installation and for notifications in daily use. Its built-in backup battery allows for it to continue operating for up to 24 hours in the event of a power outage, continuing coverage until power is restored to the home.

The technology behind the new security system has also been updated in various ways, including increased backup security features and performance improvements. Twin cellular and Wi-Fi connections are used in parallel, ensuring the home is monitored if either of the connections goes down, while the firm's SmashSafe technology will ensure that the authorities will be alerted, even if the base station, siren, or keypad are destroyed by an intruder.

The Glassbreak and Motion sensors use three-phase detection algorithms and advanced data modeling to make them as useful as possible. For example, the Glassbreak sensors can tell the difference between a window being broken and a smashed plate, while the Motion sensors are tuned for detecting humans, ignoring pets in the process.

The new firmware introduced in this version has made the security system the fastest ever produced by the company, with processing speeds said to be five times faster than the previous generation.

SimpliSafe also announced there will be a 1080p video doorbell with two-way audio and motion alerts, an outdoor camera with motion detection, and a smart lock that will be added to the range later this year, as well as voice integration with Amazon's Alexa.

The SimpliSafe security system is offered in a number of packages through its website, ranging from the basic $229 Foundation to the extensive sensor collection in the $489 Knox, but customers are also able to build up their own custom option.

SimpliSafe also offers the SimpliCam as an add-on for $99, with the indoor camera providing HD video streams to the security system's companion app, as well as alerts when motion is detected.

The firm's own monitoring service costs $15 per month, which includes professional monitoring, text message alerts, smartphone app controls, and video verification of alarms. Cloud-based camera storage for an unlimited number of installed cameras is also offered at $24.99 per month.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    The design is definitely better than the previous version.

The big question is whether they learned their lesson and encrypt traffic between the base station and the keypad. If not, this is an unattractive upgrade.

Other questions:
    1. Will the new base station accept the legacy sensors for those with existing systems?
    2. Will they ever support HomeKit? I'm sure many users would like to arm their alarms as part of a scene.

• Reply 2 of 5
    dkhaley said:
    The design is definitely better than the previous version.

The big question is whether they learned their lesson and encrypt traffic between the base station and the keypad. If not, this is an unattractive upgrade.

Other questions:
    1. Will the new base station accept the legacy sensors for those with existing systems?
    2. Will they ever support HomeKit? I'm sure many users would like to arm their alarms as part of a scene.

From their updated website:

Deep Encryption

We encrypt every single signal.
    Many times. We’re going to keep the
    specifics secret. They should be.

So my guess would be that they've got proper encryption implemented now. 

I use Simplisafe and have generally been pretty happy with it considering the overall price. I was aware of the encryption concerns before hand and felt confident that it would serve my purposes well enough in spite of that issue. Nonetheless, I always welcome improvement.

However, I just bought my system a year ago and while the new one certainly looks much nicer I'm not necessarily in a hurry to ditch what I have (which is working fine) and shell out hundreds of dollars to upgrade.

I could be enticed by a couple of factors. 1. They integrate Homekit support like you mentioned (this would be a big one for me, and I'm just kind of shocked this was not part of the announcement), and 2. They offer an upgrade discount to current Simplisafe users.

• Reply 3 of 5
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Even though these look very nice, are fully encrypted and priced the same as previous version, I’m not ready to upgrade yet. I invested so much on the original system and had multiple layers of security. So even if crooks can beat my Simplisafe, I got another layer of brand X cell cameras inside with motion sensors, brand Y surveillance cameras around outside. Last but not least, I top it with a wired 360 pivot brand Z motion trigger cam that is constantly sweeping my entire first floor. In case all of these fail when I’m at home, there’re always a loaded 9mm S&W and 12-gauge Mossberg close by. Welcome to my house!
    edited January 2018
  • Reply 4 of 5
    If/When HomeKit comparability is added, I’ll be giving this system serious consideration.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    NoctaireNoctaire Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    SimpliSafe hasn’t been so hot on the road of integrating with smart speaker systems like the Echo and Google Home, much less Apple’s smarthome tech.  Their pricing is also higher than competitors like Scout, Ring, Nest, and, likely, even Honeywell who has a new system poised to hit the market sometime this year.  Their monitoring service is priced much like traditional home security companies (ADT, Alarm Force, etc).  This new system looks intriguing but seems like too little, too late.  We’ll see how it turns out if/when they actually release it to consumers.