Toyota concedes, reveals plans to launch first cars with Apple CarPlay

Posted:
in iPhone
Perhaps the longest major CarPlay holdout, Toyota on Monday announced that it will be bringing the platform to the 2019 Avalon, as well as other vehicles in the 2019 model year -- including some from its luxury Lexus brand.

The new Avalon is shipping this spring, and will have CarPlay standard on all trims, Toyota said in a press release. The interface will display on a 9-inch touchscreen.

Unusually, while Android Auto support hasn't been announced, the car will also support some remote control functions by way of smartwatches and Amazon Alexa, such as starting the engine, locking and unlocking doors, and gauging fuel levels.

CarPlay will require Toyota's Enform 2.0 or Entune 3.0 multimedia systems, a spokesman told MacRumors. In theory that could allow the technology to appear on some 2018 models such as the Camry and Sienna, but so far the company has only confirmed 2019 model support. Drivers will moreover have to use a wired iPhone connection, rather than wireless.

In 2015 Toyota infamously declared that it intended to stick with proprietary platforms for the foreseeable future, even as other automakers were preparing or already adding CarPlay. Apple's software began picking up traction in 2016 and is now on numerous vehicles, though availability on low-cost models remains an issue.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 41
    gustavgustav Posts: 827member
    It's good they finally realize that car makers are absolutely terrible at designing in-car entertainment systems.

Now can they put more leg room in their cars too? A subcompact Honda has as much legroom in the driver's seat as a compact Toyota.
    StrangeDayswatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 2 of 41
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Toyota, what took you so long to realize, get on CarPlay train. Probably loosing too many of your loyal customers to competitors. Lesson learned. Make sure your most popular models like Camry,Corola,RAV4 etc comes standard with CarPlay to bring back customers in dealership. This time don't mess it up.
    SnickersMagooracerhomie3StrangeDaysmike54watto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 3 of 41
    "In theory that could allow the technology to appear on some 2018 models such as the Camry and Sienna, but so far the company has only confirmed 2019 model support."

Toyota owners of 2018 Camry or Sienna... start 
    complaining as a Toyota person told the Car Connection that they will not be retrofitting 2018 models with this capability: http://bit.ly/2D4PFuY
    curtis hannahwatto_cobranetmage
  • Reply 4 of 41
    I have been a Toyota owner since 1999.  I only ever owned one car since then that wasn't a Toyota, and boy was I sorry.  I have to say while their Infotainment systems aren't the worst I've ever seen, they are nothing compared to CarPlay.  I have to admit that their lack of support nearly caused me to dip my toe into the world of autos that are not Toyota once again.  I just bought a Toyota in December, but it was a close decision between it and a comparable Ford.  If the Ford model year I was looking at had have had CarPlay, I would have bought it.  It was really that close.  Toyota came very close to loosing a 20 year customer because they decided they didn't want to support a feature that is sweeping the car industry.  I wonder how many other customers they did eventually loose (even if only for the "current" purchase) based on Infotainment offerings.  They must know or have a pretty good estimate and hence this announcement.
    ihatescreennamesairnerdGeorgeBMacmike54chasmwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 41
    tzterritzterri Posts: 110member
    Last year I needed a hybrid. Went with Honda after finding out I couldn't get CarPaly on a Toyota. 
    zroger73StrangeDaysdouglas baileychasmwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 6 of 41
    “Loose” means the opposite of “tight”. The word you should be using is “lose”, as in “lose customers”. 

I love CarPlay, it’s is definitely something I look for when getting a new car. It’s rather surprising to me that it took this long for Toyota to add it. 
    StrangeDayswatto_cobranetmagejony0
  • Reply 7 of 41
    airnerdairnerd Posts: 693member
    Have "propietary platforms" held up against any Apple offering in the last decade?  I think Walmart is still trying to force their own payment platform, but seems like everyone that tries to be better at something than Apple ultimately ends up throwing in the towel.
    watto_cobranetmage
  • Reply 8 of 41
    airnerdairnerd Posts: 693member
    mbenz1962 said:
    I have been a Toyota owner since 1999.  I only ever owned one car since then that wasn't a Toyota, and boy was I sorry.  I have to say while their Infotainment systems aren't the worst I've ever seen, they are nothing compared to CarPlay.  I have to admit that their lack of support nearly caused me to dip my toe into the world of autos that are not Toyota once again.  I just bought a Toyota in December, but it was a close decision between it and a comparable Ford.  If the Ford model year I was looking at had have had CarPlay, I would have bought it.  It was really that close.  Toyota came very close to loosing a 20 year customer because they decided they didn't want to support a feature that is sweeping the car industry.  I wonder how many other customers they did eventually loose (even if only for the "current" purchase) based on Infotainment offerings.  They must know or have a pretty good estimate and hence this announcement.
    Switched from the 4runner line to the Pilot line like an idiot, and regret it every. single. day.  It still runs well, but feels cheap and has zero dealer support for an issue they have admitted they know is an issue and sell a part to fix.  So Honda is dead to me, toyota will get me back soon enough.

Gotta wait to see what the new Bronco really looks like though.
    razorpitwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 41
    wood1208 said:
    Toyota, what took you so long to realize, get on CarPlay train. Probably loosing too many of your loyal customers to competitors. Lesson learned. Make sure your most popular models like Camry,Corola,RAV4 etc comes standard with CarPlay to bring back customers in dealership. This time don't mess it up.
    Could be agreement points that Toyota and Apple could not agree on, in terms of which data is collected?
    razorpitchasm
  • Reply 10 of 41
    I never even considered Toyota in 2016, when I went shopping for a new vehicle. Strictly because of their brain dead attitude about CarPlay. Ended up with a 2017 Ford Escape and I love CarPlay!
    edited January 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 41
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    I still wish Toyota can implement wireless CarPlay rather than wired. There are a lot nuisance with wired CarPlay. Overtime you entered into the car you need to pull out iPhone from pocket and plug in a wire. 
    My question is does CarPlay not requiring FaceID every time you use it? 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 41
    tzeshan said:
    I still wish Toyota can implement wireless CarPlay rather than wired. There are a lot nuisance with wired CarPlay. Overtime you entered into the car you need to pull out iPhone from pocket and plug in a wire. 
    CarPlay does not require Face ID.  I seem to remember authorizing CarPlay use without unlocking the first time I used my iPhone X.  Now I just plug in my phone and go, everything works as expected.
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 41
    AF_HittAF_Hitt Posts: 143member
    CarPlay was definitely a determining factor when we were in the market. Ended up going with a 2018 Honda Odyssey after looking between it, the Chrysler Pacifica, the Traverse, etc. Didn't even consider Toyota since they had such a backwards attitude when it came to CarPlay.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 41
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,101member
    Ugly cars, worst drivers on the roads.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 41
    tzeshan said:
    CarPlay does not require Face ID.  I seem to remember authorizing CarPlay use without unlocking the first time I used my iPhone X.  Now I just plug in my phone and go, everything works as expected.
    Isn't this a security issue? If your car and phone is stolen, the thief can use your phone without unlocking.
  • Reply 16 of 41

tyler82 said:
    Ugly cars, worst drivers on the roads.
    At comparable price which cars you consider pretty? 
    airnerd
  • Reply 17 of 41
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    wood1208 said:
    Could be agreement points that Toyota and Apple could not agree on, in terms of which data is collected?
    What data collection? CarPlay runs on the iphone and uses a compatible head unit as an external display with tap support. 
    watto_cobranetmage
  • Reply 18 of 41
    tzeshan said:
    tzeshan said:
    Isn't this a security issue? If your car and phone is stolen, the thief can use your phone without unlocking.
    I suppose, in a limited fashion. The iPhone is still locked and to use it requires unlocking. Accessing is via CarPlay is limited to CarPlay compatible apps like Music, Maps, Messages and a few others. Siri is also accessible so maybe they could use Siri to find out some stuff. But this isn’t something that really concerns me. 
  • Reply 19 of 41

wood1208 said:
    What data collection? CarPlay runs on the iphone and uses a compatible head unit as an external display with tap support. 
    I wish the “tap support” part of your comment was true but our car has CarPlay and no touch screen. We have to use a clunky wheel to navigate and only through rotation, it doesn’t also act like a joystick which would be much better. So, if I’m on the “Home” button and want to get to the skip forward one track button I have to turn the wheel/dial clockwise and scroll by (I think) 8 other buttons. I end up using Siri quite a bit. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 41
    I have CarPlay in my car, and it's not wireless...it's a pain having to plug it in every time I get in and out. I never use unless it's a long trip.

Glad I have it but wish it was wireless.

Best.

edited January 2018 watto_cobra