speed

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I am thinking of buying a mac for the first time. My dad has an old apple apple 2 i think and i like the system. I currently have a 1.1ghz athlon with windoze and linux installed. What i want to know is how much faster are the 800mhz G4 macs compared to my present system? I understand that the G4's do more steps per cycle that the x86 but with 300mhz slower are these babies really faster than pcs? i am thinking of getting a emac flat crt 800mhz g4. Any info on this would be a help. cheers.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    go for the change. I have a P4 1.6 desktop winXP decided to just got fo the switch and now have a Powerbook G4 867. This thing is as fast if not faster than the win pc. It is alot easier to use too.

Once you get use to how things work, your Win PC's will seem wierd.

good luck and have fun :eek:
  • Reply 2 of 3
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    whatever you get, make sure you have plenty of RAM

make sure 256is the min, I would go higher

i have a 733 G4 with 256, and its nice...if i were to put another 256 in it would be down right zippy.

Good idea joining here if you are going to switch, almost every question you have will be able to be answered
  • Reply 3 of 3
    After 512 it wont be that much zippier. The reason more RAM makes your computer go faster is this:

Once you launch a program it does not run from your hard drive it goes to your RAM if you do not have enough RAM your computer takes what its not using right now and moves it to your hard drive in swap space as its called. This takes time you will see a little spinning aqua wheel. Other than that the extra RAM wont do a whole lot.

I know thats not very technical but you get the basic jist of it.