Def Leppard puts discography on Apple Music, other streaming services

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2018
British rock bank Def Leppard -- best known for songs like "Rock of Ages" and "Pour Some Sugar on Me" -- has released its complete back catalog on streaming music services, including Apple Music and Spotify.

Important albums like "Pyromania" and "Hysteria" were previously withheld because of a royalty dispute between the band and Universal Music, which controls the original recordings, according to TeamRock. Frontman Joe Elliott noted that the band "tried to do a deal many years ago," but decided it would simply wait things out when that fell through.

"Record labels, or any kind of institution like this, keep the same name, but every 18 months you can have totally different people," he continued. "We were just very fortunate that the people at Universal at the moment were very onside to doing this deal. We sat down with them and basically just batted the stuff back and forth until we all settled on what we thought was a fair deal."

Musicians have often complained that the royalties they earn from streaming are too low to sustain a career, unlike when people had to buy physical media to hear music. At the same time streaming has been seen as an antidote to digital piracy, and is now so integral to promoting albums that it's often unavoidable.

Many bands now depend on tours and merchandise to make a living.

In addition to the regular discography, Apple Music listeners have access to five playlists curated by Apple: "Essentials," "Next Steps," "Deep Cuts," "Influences," and "Inspired By."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    This has been a long time coming. Unfortunately it got to the point where Def Leppard were re-recording old hits to sell on digital platforms to get around their disagreement with Universal. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 15
    I'm celebrating by blasting the original recording of "Photograph".
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 15
    stukestuke Posts: 122member
    Just “let it go!”  Finally!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 15
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Is that the band with the one-armed drummer?

watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 15
    Rayz2016 said:

It depends.

Hysteria: Yes.
    Pyromania: No.
    watto_cobrafastasleepboogerman2000
  • Reply 6 of 15
    “Many bands now depend on tours and merchandise to make a living.” Dave Mustaine said that once they figure out a way to file-share T-shirts, it’s all over.
    watto_cobraRayz2016
  • Reply 7 of 15
    Hell yeah! \m/
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 15
    Rayz2016 said:

It's the band that stuck it out and did not abandon their drummer while he rehabilitated from a horrible accident. I've always respected them for that.
    watto_cobradocno42
  • Reply 9 of 15
    Rayz2016 said:

It depends.

Isn’t that because the crash that took his arm was in 1985 which was between Pyromania (1983) and Hysteria (1987)?

So the answer to the original question is yes and still is.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 15
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    Rayz2016 said:

It depends.

Not exactly. The drummer recorded drums for the Hysteria song “Animal” with two arms. For the remaining songs on Hysteria, which took over 3 years to make, he had one arm.
  • Reply 11 of 15
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Right, he drums with both feet. That’s bloody clever!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sh9aHoSgl3U

• Reply 12 of 15
    Rayz2016 said:
    Right, he drums with both feet. That’s bloody clever!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sh9aHoSgl3U

Especially given he had only two years to learn how to do so.
  • Reply 13 of 15

Great that Hysteria and Pyromania are going to be on Apple Music!

When I was young, I had limited funds so I couldn't listen to all the music I wanted to listen to. Now I have the world's best buffet every month for a price of what I used to pay for an audio cassette 20 years ago!!

I'm currently listening to U2's Achtung Baby Deluxe Edition followed by First Aid Kit's Ruins. I never could listen to music as diverse as that before.

• Reply 14 of 15
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,211member
    ...and this coincides with a newly announced tour schedule, which is probably why their music was finally released for streaming. 
    http://www.defleppard.com/tour/
  • Reply 15 of 15
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    For several summers I worked a local concert venue - mainly for the free shows :) 

I always looked forward to the Def Leppard/Journey concert; especially since it was almost always a mid-week concert (not on the weekend).