Apple employees can earn special Apple Watch band in 2018 'Close the Rings' challenge

Posted:
in General Discussion edited October 2019
Apple in February will hold its annual fitness challenge for employees, and participants who complete the event with "gold" metrics will net themselves a specially designed Apple Watch band featuring an Activity Rings motif.

A screenshot of this year's prize was captured by 9to5Mac on Monday and shows what appears to be a solid black woven nylon band with metal clasp and strap loop crafted from neon blue, green and red material.

As seen above, the loop colors mimic those of Apple Watch's Activity Rings, which provide a graphical representation of tracked movement, exercise and standing metrics. The goal is to close each ring as the day progresses, meeting preset requirements set by Apple's algorithms or customized by the user.

Like other major corporations, Apple runs an annual wellness campaign to keep employees fit and healthy. This year's competition is the company's second "Close the Rings" event, which challenges employees to complete a rigorous set of Apple Watch activity goals. Participants can earn gold, silver and bronze rankings for their hard work, with each tier awarded a corresponding pin.

Last year, Apple held its first annual Apple Watch-centric fitness challenge for employees. Those who achieved gold rankings were given black shirts emblazoned with a stylized Activity Rings logo and text reading "Close the Rings 1.0."

Prior to Close the Rings, Apple conducted challenges at its wellness center to incentivize employee health. In 2016, for example, the company handed out pins and a bamboo cutting board to workers who showed up for the event.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    The fitness challenge is interesting, but it was likely to reduce Apple’s health insurance bills.

The rewards are pretty minuscule compared to the money saved...
  • Reply 2 of 10
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    The fitness challenge is interesting, but it was likely to reduce Apple’s health insurance bills.

Ya and so what.  Are you saying you would rather be fat slob instead of saving Apple money on you?   So a nice watch band and your good health is not enough?
    macxpressronnracerhomie3watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 10
    GG1GG1 Posts: 483member

Improving the health of anyone is a WIN, especially if he/she weren't planning to do anything in the first place.
    ronnracerhomie3watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 10

Oh man. How anyone can complain about this is a marvel.
    GeorgeBMacronnanomewatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 10
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    This is good...  But I'd love to know what the "Gold Metrics" are...  I haven't seen anything like that.
    And too, what is meant by completing a:  "rigorous set of Apple Watch activity goals".

Basically, closing 2 of the 3 rings is predetermined by Apple and not modifiable.   The activity ring essentially measures calories burned during activity (which doesn't have to be exercise).  I think the default is 200 calories to close the ring -- but it can be adjusted by the user....

So what is Apple asking these poor Geeks to do?   Run around the space ship?
  • Reply 6 of 10
    As better use ion this challenge would be to add stop smoking....
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 10
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member

Oh man. How anyone can complain about this is a marvel.
    Some people can find a way...
    GeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Too bad it requires the employees to purchase their own apple watch to compete (I'm assuming Apple doesn't give away watches to employees).
  • Reply 9 of 10
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,358member
    rattlhed said:
    Too bad it requires the employees to purchase their own apple watch to compete (I'm assuming Apple doesn't give away watches to employees).
    Too bad employees won't get their own Apple car, either. Employees do get a discount on Apple products. I thought I read that they got a 50% discount on an Watch, but I may be off base on that.

Yes, it might help Apple's medical insurance bottom line. So what. And we civilians don't even get a Watch band for closing rings— just some graphics that we can post somewhere. So what. It's not like the possibility of better, healthy living is nothing.

Oh, and shame on Apple because they incentivized the 'wrong' thing towards a more healthy life style instead of addressing smoking. Definitely another Apple 'fail'. Geeze.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 10
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    rattlhed said:
    Why would you expect free $350 devices for all apple employees? That...doesn’t make...sense...
    watto_cobra