Apple to start sales of cellular Apple Watch Series 3 models in Hong Kong, Singapore next ...

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited January 2018
Apple is moving forward with its global Apple Watch rollout and will in February launch cellular versions of the latest Apple Watch Series 3 in Hong Kong and Singapore.

Apple announced the forthcoming availability in updates to regional websites serving customers in Hong Kong and Singapore.

A common promotional banner on each site's Apple Watch page notes users will be able to preorder cellular Apple Watch Series 3 models on Feb. 2, with orders scheduled to arrive on Feb. 9. Similar to markets where the device is currently available, Hong Kong and Singapore will gain access to cellular versions of all Apple Watch Series 3 models, from the top-end Edition and Hermes variants to Nike+ models.

Network support for cellular Apple Watch Series 3 devices is being handled by carriers 1010 and csl in Hong Kong, while Singtel is managing connectivity in Singapore. Apple notes that cellular-connected Watch models purchased in Hong Kong have been optimized for that region and will not work in mainland China.

Apple Watch Series 3 with GPS + Cellular starts at $3,188 Hong Kong dollars for a 38mm aluminum version and moves up to HK$11,288 for a 42mm Apple Watch Hermes with Single Tour Deployment Buckle. The same models in Singapore run for $498 Singapore dollars and S$2,058, respectively.

Apple Watch Series 3 debuted alongside iPhone 8 and Apple TV 4K last September. At launch, GPS + Cellular models were offered in ten countries, while the GPS only version made its way to 27 regions.

As usual, Apple staggered rollout to hit major markets first, with countries like the U.S. and China getting first crack at the device. Regulatory approval, carrier support and other behind-the-scenes factors also play a role in deciding when a particular country gains access to a product.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    payecopayeco Posts: 581member
    What took so long? Getting carriers on board? I can’t imagine it took them 6 months to ramp up production enough launch in these smaller markets.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    rolsrols Posts: 68member
    payeco said:
    What took so long? Getting carriers on board? I can’t imagine it took them 6 months to ramp up production enough launch in these smaller markets.
    pretty sure it's carrier here in Singapore. Singtel only currently provides this service for one single device (a samsung) so I'm not surprised they took a while to roll it out to a second. They seem to have made it available on more types of plan too which is good. 
  • Reply 3 of 4
    lukeilukei Posts: 379member
    payeco said:
    The carrier has to support E Sim for the watch to work. So yes getting a carrier on board which does is the key. In U.K. for example only 1 out of the 4 support it. 
  • Reply 4 of 4
    krawallkrawall Posts: 162member
    Sucks I’m on 3HK. TIme to change I guess. 
    racerhomie3