Acura rolls out MDX Sport Hybrid SUV with Apple CarPlay

Posted:
in iPhone
Honda's luxury Acura brand is on Thursday launching the 2018 MDX Sport Hybrid, a sport utility with support for Apple CarPlay, which lets iPhone owners control Siri and compatible iOS apps from their dashboard.

Both CarPlay and Android Auto are standard on all trims, Acura said. Control is handled through an enhanced 7-inch touchscreen, now capacitive instead of resistive, and equipped with a redesigned UI when not bridging a smartphone.

The SUV starts at $52,100, and includes other standard high-tech features such as adaptive cruise control, lane assist, and warnings for forward collisions and lane/road departure.

Though it got off to a slow start in 2014, CarPlay is now increasingly ubiquitous on new vehicles. A major adoption hurdle has been the tendency of carmakers to prefer mid- to high-end models, but the situation is gradually improving, for instance with options on the 2018 Honda Fit.

Earlier this month a long-time holdout -- Toyota -- gave into demand and revealed plans to launch multiple CarPlay-ready products, such as the 2019 Avalon and several Lexus models.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    At last last big car manufacturer Toyota announced support for the CarPlay in 2018. Toyota is late to the CarPlay party but hope, don't ignore popular Camry and RAV4 family vehicles.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    I think we're at the point where stating whether it's wired or wireless CarPlay is mandatory.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    I wonder if they are going to have Wireless CarPlay. It is never mentioned.... Also, does anybody with CarPlay and MLB At Bat noticed that At Bat is now gone? Mine is missing.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    robjnrobjn Posts: 283member
    Prediction: CarPlay will get the “Musicologist” upgraded Siri for HomePod later this year.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    So is Honda charging for CarPlay like BMW, Cadillac and others?
  • Reply 6 of 11
    It's a little thing...but getting in and out of my car and having to plug and unplug my SE is annoying...I only use CarPlay on long trips anymore. And when I do I really like having 'Apple' in my car. 

But for my next car it would have to be wireless! :)

P.S. Hopefully, the SE2 will have wireless charging and I would seriously consider putting a PowerMat in the car so I can just lay it down and not have to fiddle with plugging it in. :)
  • Reply 7 of 11
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    It's a little thing...but getting in and out of my car and having to plug and unplug my SE is annoying...I only use CarPlay on long trips anymore. And when I do I really like having 'Apple' in my car. 

P.S. Hopefully, the SE2 will have wireless charging and I would seriously consider putting a PowerMat in the car so I can just lay it down and not have to fiddle with plugging it in. :)
    At this point CarPlay isn't good enough for me. If it isn't wireless CarPlay and it has to work well. The annual fee, while ridiculous, comes only after all those and is something I can deal with as I'll just factor it into the TCO of my purchase.

Coming with a charging pad is moot since they can be added aftermarket with little cost.
    edited January 2018
  • Reply 8 of 11
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member

I'm the opposite. I don't mind plugging in my phone to use CarPlay. I'm used to doing it since I prefer playing music via USB versus Bluetooth. 
  • Reply 9 of 11
    I have a Bolt with CarPlay. It pretty ironic that it has a wireless charging port, but requires wired CarPlay. Of course the wireless charging isn't iPhone compatible so it's a moot point, sigh. At any rate, I would love wireless CarPlay so I can just leave the phone in my pocket as I rarely need to charge it in the car.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    wood1208 said:
    At last last big car manufacturer Toyota announced support for the CarPlay in 2018. Toyota is late to the CarPlay party but hope, don't ignore popular Camry and RAV4 family vehicles.
    I have been waiting for Toyota to support CarPlay since 2014. I am giving up. I will take a look for Hyundai Solanta. 
  • Reply 11 of 11
    CarPlay is awesome. I will never go back to the factory systems without it.