Apple Music gets access to exclusive mixes from Steve Aoki, Sigala and DJ Suss One

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2018
Apple Music has scored exclusive access to content from three of the world's top DJs, Steve Aoki, Sigala and DJ Suss One, which will arrive as part of a library of mixes coming to the streaming service thanks to rights management firm Dubset.

Dubset in an announcement on Wednesday said it partnered with Apple Music to deliver hundreds of DJ mixes to subscribers of the service.

Alongside the batch of mixes are three exclusive sets by Aoki, Sigala and DJ Suss One. Aoki's track is an hour and 40-minute retrospective of works created with major artists like Gucci Mane, Lil Uzi Vert, Lil Yachty & Migos, Fall Out Boy and more. Sigala's 30-minute mix incorporates a few of his favorite tracks of 2017 and some throwback 90's hip hop and R&B hits, while DJ Suss One offers a 45-minute tribute to classic hip hop.

With the content now available on Apple Music, DJs can create their own mixes, Dubset said.

"How amazing is it to be able to quickly and freely throw together a mix of tracks with no clearances or paperwork required?" Aoki said in a prepared statement. "It's the dawn of a new era. I can't wait to see what aspiring DJs and Aoki fans do with my music in their own sets."

Dubset originally inked a deal to provide Apple Music and Spotify subscribers access to user-uploaded mixes in 2016. The firm's proprietary MixBANK audio fingerprinting technology can identify songs within uploaded mix and remix content, attach those tracks to publishers and labels, and distribute royalties to rights holders. DJs can also search through Dubset's available catalog to make their own mixes by using a free MixBANK account.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5

With the content now available on Apple Music, DJs can create their own mixes, Dubset said.
    To be clear, DJs creating their own mixes and the Aoki quote that follows have nothing to do with Apple Music. Both refer to Dubset's own MixBANK library, and not Apple Music.

It would be wonderful if you could mix with Apple Music, but there are two roadblocks:
    1. No mixing software and controller which yet work with Apple Music DRM.
    2. No key info shared with Apple Music tracks (though this could be identified if the tracks could be scanned when item 1 is addressed, it's still a massive pain in the butt to have no key info in iTunes). 
    edited January 2018
  • Reply 2 of 5
    I know we’re supposed to be awed by people who are generally not musicians, but technicians, but personally I am not impressed with DJs. If these con men can fool people into buying their “product”, I guess that’s the market at work.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    Sigala and DJ Suss One aren't even remotely close at being one of the worlds top DJ's. Some of the top DJ's in the world include Hardwell, Martin Garrix, Tiesto, etc. 
  • Reply 4 of 5
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    I know we’re supposed to be awed by people who are generally not musicians, but technicians, but personally I am not impressed with DJs. If these con men can fool people into buying their “product”, I guess that’s the market at work.
    I disagree. A lot of the top DJ's in the world are musicians who play instruments such as the piano and guitar. I don't see how DJ's are less of an artist to someone say in a popular rock band. Take for example Zedd. That guy is a pretty damn good musician. Sure, there are a few DJ's out there (won't mention names since I don't want to get into trouble) that I would consider con men since they aren't writing their own music, and are instead, using ghost producers. Having worked with quite a few popular DJ's, I think they are pretty talented (not all though). 
  • Reply 5 of 5
    I disagree. A lot of the top DJ's in the world are musicians who play instruments such as the piano and guitar. I don't see how DJ's are less of an artist to someone say in a popular rock band. Take for example Zedd. That guy is a pretty damn good musician. Sure, there are a few DJ's out there (won't mention names since I don't want to get into trouble) that I would consider con men since they aren't writing their own music, and are instead, using ghost producers. Having worked with quite a few popular DJ's, I think they are pretty talented (not all though). 

I agree. You need a certain ear for music and an instinct of what works well together and what doesn't. If you actually play instruments, you'd be even better at it. Overall, I think DJs are artists.