Lesser-known Android phone makers copy look of Apple's iPhone X

Posted:
in iPhone
A pair of relatively unknown Android phone makers are reportedly copying the look of Apple's iPhone X without actually offering identical features.

One of them, Noa, is preparing the N10, set to appear at this month's Mobile World Congress in Barcelona, according to The Verge. The phone has an edge-to-edge 6.2-inch screen, with a notch near the top for camera and earpiece components.

The company doesn't appear to have forked Android to accommodate the notch however, meaning that some interface elements are obscured. Similarly, the phone's curved corners can cut off parts of the Android UI, such as its clock. On the iPhone X, iOS 11 adjusts automatically to avoid hiding anything.

The second mimic is the 5.85-inch Leagoo S9, which not only carries over the notch from the iPhone X but its glass back, and even the style of its vertical dual-lens camera. Leagoo's prior phone, the S8, copied the Samsung device of the same name.

New iPhones are regularly imitated by many Android phone makers, whether to legitimately keep up with features or simply to sell people on Apple's image.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 76
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Unfortunately there are enough stupid people on this planet for these bottom dwellers to make money on.
    peterhartmagman1979racerhomie3cornchipmattinozwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 2 of 76
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,305member
    Wait, so they notched the top, without doing anything smart for Android to work correctly with it, not that I'm surprised, but then they both also still have a black bar on the bottom of the screen?!?!?! Talking about dumb!!!!
    chiacrossladwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 76
    Some things can be pathetic and at the same time hilariously funny.
    king editor the gratechiamagman1979GG1stompybaconstangwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 76
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Yikes! At least Noa curves the notch so it looks organic compared to the Leagoo S9.

• Reply 5 of 76
    Never heard of either of these brands but spied the spurs logo on the Leagoo photo ^^ , sure enough...

Must have some financial clout and connections to partner with a premier league club, even if it is just spurs lol.
  • Reply 6 of 76
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    lkrupp said:
    Unfortunately there are enough stupid people on this planet for these bottom dwellers to make money on.
    Yep a reality of the world we live in today. There is nothing original, and when something original comes along, everyone copies it.

Luckily Apple has been able to stay ahead of the game and make money so they can keep doing new things. Image if apple disappeared non of these companies would have something to copy. Can not wait to see how may copies of the homepod show up in the next 3 months, they will look the same and have similar parts, but lack the software to make it work like the homepod.
    lkruppcornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 76
    Apple's goal with the iPhone X was to make a phone that was ALL screen with no bezels. So, some genius says "Hey, since we don't want to make a small bezel above the screen to put the camera and FaceID technology, let's put the bezel IN the screen!!"  ...and thus the iPhone X was born.  A smartphone maker following that idiotic idea is a kin to how the trend of wearing one's pants with the waits below the butt so the underwear is showing and you have to walk with your legs spread in order to keep the pants up. One person who I guess was considered cool, started that trend and someone said, "Hey, I'm gonna wear my pants that way too!!"  ...and thus that idiotic trend was born.
    #s3gt_translate_tooltip_mini { display: none !important; }
    avon b7Latko
  • Reply 8 of 76
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    And all possible thanks to Google ripping of iOS and calling it Android in the first place. /sigh
    peterhartchiatallest skilracerhomie3magman1979crossladDAalsethcornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 76
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,844member
    These knockoffs couldn’t remove the chin on these “edge to edge” screens. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 76
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    rrrize said:
    Apple's goal with the iPhone X was to make a phone that was ALL screen with no bezels. So, some genius says "Hey, since we don't want to make a small bezel above the screen to put the camera and FaceID technology, let's put the bezel IN the screen!!"  ...and thus the iPhone X was born.  A smartphone maker following that idiotic idea is a kin to how the trend of wearing one's pants with the waits below the butt so the underwear is showing and you have to walk with your legs spread in order to keep the pants up. One person who I guess was considered cool, started that trend and someone said, "Hey, I'm gonna wear my pants that way too!!"  ...and thus that idiotic trend was born.
    I think the reason behind the notch is to improve the user experience. If the camera array was above the screen the users would have to look avbive the screen to trigger FaceID then refocus on the screen after being granted access. The notch means they just look at the screen and they’re in. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 76
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    MacPro said:
    And all possible thanks to Google ripping of iOS and calling it Android in the first place. /sigh
    Android pre-dates even rumors of an iPhone. You probably mean the multi-touch interface.
  • Reply 12 of 76
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    rrrize said:
    #s3gt_translate_tooltip_mini { display: none !important; }
    What nonsense, please go work for some moronic company like this one so you can prove your "genius".
    StrangeDaysmagman1979fastasleepberndogwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 76
    Rayz2016 said:
    rrrize said:
    I think the reason behind the notch is to improve the user experience. If the camera array was above the screen the users would have to look avbive the screen to trigger FaceID then refocus on the screen after being granted access. The notch means they just look at the screen and they’re in. 
    I'm sure that that Face ID could be 2mm higher and still work fine. They could just angle the sensor slightly, but I don't think that would be required when you consider the distance to the face and the angle Face ID already works with an iPhone X sitting on a table.
    gatorguyrrrize
  • Reply 14 of 76
    No no no, somebody create an LOL@APPLE photoshop showing how the iPhone X copied the notch from (some obscure thing that’s not even a phone) and how these Androiders are not actually copying Apple’s notch, and argue that this design solution was “inevitable” and “obvious.”
    Solichiacornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 76
    rrrize said:
    Except Apple didn’t make a phone that was all screen. There’s a black bezel around the entire phone. No one has made a phone with no bezels. The GS8’s curved sides trick your eyes into thinking there aren’t any bezels but they’re there.

• Reply 16 of 76
    NemWanNemWan Posts: 118member
    Like counterfeit fashion clothing it's a good bet as a business because it's a short term trend and by the time the IP lawyers find you you've moved on.
    edited February 2018 cornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 76
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    rrrize said:
    Apple's goal with the iPhone X was to make a phone that was ALL screen with no bezels.
    Except Apple didn’t make a phone that was all screen. There’s a black bezel around the entire phone. No one has made a phone with no bezels. The GS8’s curved sides trick your eyes into thinking there aren’t any bezels but they’re there.

I was really surprised when I read last month that the X doesn't even have the highest screen-to-body ratio. There's a least 5 smartphones ahead of it, but to be fair the iPhone X and those are all clustered fairly close together. 
    edited February 2018
  • Reply 18 of 76
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,350member
    lkrupp said:
    It's not all that much about people being stupid. These aren't even close to an X. Some people just want the look of a high end product and are happy if it's close enough. That's why you can by a Rolecks or Rolexx on the street. They knock-offs, not counterfeits. Big difference.
  • Reply 19 of 76
    gatorguy said:
    rrrize said:
    Apple's goal with the iPhone X was to make a phone that was ALL screen with no bezels.

I was really surprised when I read last month that the X doesn't even have the highest screen-to-body ratio. There's a least 5 smartphones ahead of it, but to be fair the iPhone X and those are all clustered fairly close together. 
    Where those values normalized for a same size screen on the diagonal?  If not, then a gigantic android phone with and even thicker bezel, chin, forehead, and/or notch could still have a higher display to footprint ratio.
    anantksundaram
  • Reply 20 of 76
    Rayz2016 said:
    Well, I own an iPhone X (256GB) and my experience is when watching a movie in full screen, the notch is the star of every film because it literally replaces that film that would be in that area. I've also noticed that may video news broadcasts like NBC, CNN, MSNBC, FOX do not optimize their apps to take advantage of the iPhone X full screen because they don't want their content cut off. So when watching news with their apps you are looking at bezels on the left and right. I have a very dark wallpaper so when I am on the home screen I don't notice the notch, but as soon as I launch any app with a white or light colored backround (which is MOST apps) like Mail, Instagram, Messages, Twitter, etc... the notch just... hovers. Some people say they just got used to it, but I can't get used to it. Like when I am in Messages, texting, my eye often gets drawn to it and it seems like a piece of electrical tape and I just want to peel it off.  And because of the notch, the battery percentage cannot be displayed... because there is not enough room!!  How insane is that, that you cannot see the battery percentage  easily and at a glance on your $1300 cell phone.  I could go on. The notch does not work to improve user experience in my experience. In my experience, it ruins the screen.  I mean, a screen is supposed to be... a screen - viewable in its entirety. Especially on a small device do you not want to obstruct any portion of the screen. That being said, I really like my iPhone X. It's buttery smooths, fast as heck, photos are phenominal. But the experience is ruined EVRY time I go to watch a movie or any kind of video.
    flashfan207berndog